Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:59 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerLuvr View Post
Oh, yeah? How do you know what "they" do in Chicago? You think people tell voters who to vote for and then watch which door you go in to determine who you voted forl......WELL REPORT SUCH THINGS AS ILLEGAL! Jezzzus. Anything THAT OBVIOUS could easily be reported.

What do you think about all the death threats to politicans recently because they voted for the HC bill? Do you think that is the right way to deal with losing?
How do I know?
I live here and it happened to me. Yes, they do watch.
About the other thing, do we know they didn't set it up themselves to get sympathy and votes?
They will do anything to win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 11:01 AM

37,963 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Do you by any chance have any links to those vile personal attacks against candidates by "groups like Moveon?

How about some expamples of the dirty Chicago politics which you see being replicated in the Obama Admin? Certainly if you have been such an astute political observer all these years, you will be able to find specific examples of the things you are saying about Chicago politics and you can proof that the same tactics are being used by the Obama Admi so we can all share in your observations.

Tom Delay!!?? Surely you jest. You're bringing Tom Delay up as a good example? ROTFLMAO!

Again, EXAMPLES of "thuggery" you've seen in the past year......specifics with some sort of proof of such "thuggery"........otherwise I'll be tempted to think some people are just posting buzzwords on the Internet.
I'm sorry if you do not follow politics, but I don't have the time right now to lead you by hand and point these things out to you.

As to Tom Delay, you do not think his type of hardball politics caused the fur to fly in the democratic party, and caused serious partisanship?

Old 04-09-2010, 11:05 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,018,732 times
Quote:
You miss the point. (Also a negative cannot be proved)....... you guys are posting on here that stupak sold out like it is an absolute fact, then you go even further and say that he's probably quitting because he's going to get some sort of lobbyist job, etc., etc. You're SPECULATING, but you speculate as if it were fact. You have NO FACTS to back you up. Just wishful thinking.

Unless you were privy to conversations between the people during the debate and before the vote, apparently you have no way of knowing what really happened.

I've just been asking for ANYTHING which would support your position that he sold out and that he will be rewarded by obama admin for selling out. I'd like to move the conversation from mere speculation and internet gossip to some sort of evidence. I don't know what stupak did or didn't do. I've said that it's my opinion that he may just be resigning because he has concerns for the safety of his family and fears for his life, especially after the anti-choice proponents killed Dr. Tiller.
You're right, I have no evidence that he 'sold-out'. I maintain that it's a distinct possibility, given the buy-out of Nelson and Lincoln. Time will tell.

My point is..sell-out or cave-in. Those are the only two choices to explain his turn-around. Which is why I'm not saddened to see him go.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:27 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
After betraying his constituents and the right-to-lifers, Stupak is retiring.

I wonder what they bought his vote for.

Breaking: Stupak Will Retire - Politics - The Atlantic
FINALLY! It is time for this anti-liberal liberal to go. Now a real liberal can take his seat. He should have resigned after his anti-women's rights vote in the health care bill. Glad he is now leaving.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:59 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Bart's personal justification for not running again was disclosed today at his speech in Marquette., about one hour ago. The First District of Michigan contains 2 time zones , 31 counties , and hundreds of miles between stops. He said it was time after 18 years, something he has been considering for over 6 years , due to not being able to spend more time with Family , too many motel rooms , and an 8 hour flight from Washington to his District. I must agree with what he has said...That said , he has 8 months left, lots to get done.... he is not one who quits because of negative politics. His time in office has proven that. Before some of you righties pass quick judgement , take a look back on Bart's service to the people of the First District of Michigan.....And , by the way , the nasty, hateful, obscene phone calls, the death threats , the confrontations at 3;00 in the AM...were almost all from out of state...and not from the District.....let the opposition bury themselves, they are doing a good job as we speak, let Bart Stupak stand on his own record, the good , the bad , and the defensive. He made a stand, a wrong one...then found a way out...I must give him credit for that...health care DID pass, and , thats all that matters for the good of the American people, especially those who voted him back for all those terms...in the First District of Michigan.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:16 PM

1,089 posts, read 655,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Unlike you Republicans, Democrats don't take their orders from party leaders, talk show hosts, or Faux News.

Believe me, the progressive wing of the party is glad to see Stupak go...
Stupak was a mixed bag, and I agree with your assement, especially after the stunt he pulled on HC. He intended to vote for HC all along, he just wanted to push his prolife stance.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:24 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
Stupak was a mixed bag, and I agree with your assement, especially after the stunt he pulled on HC. He intended to vote for HC all along, he just wanted to push his prolife stance.
Democrats will and should tolerate Democratic office holders in conservative districts that vote against the party platform to preserve their viability.

Where Stupak crosses the line is that his district is middle of the road slightly Democratic and he uses right wing talking points to bash his own Party.

That should not be tolerated.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:05 PM

533 posts, read 318,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
How do I know?
I live here and it happened to me. Yes, they do watch.
About the other thing, do we know they didn't set it up themselves to get sympathy and votes?
They will do anything to win.

It happened to you? Did you report it? If so, what was the outcome?

Old 04-09-2010, 01:08 PM

533 posts, read 318,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I'm sorry if you do not follow politics, but I don't have the time right now to lead you by hand and point these things out to you.

As to Tom Delay, you do not think his type of hardball politics caused the fur to fly in the democratic party, and caused serious partisanship?
I wouldn't dream of following you anywhere....especially through any political history lessons. Not to worry. You time is your own and I don't ask for any of it. Now, how about everybody else who is posting here and would like some specific information from you as to how you came to your opinons and conclusions?

Do you think Tom Delay is a criminal? Or maybe a good dancer?

Old 04-09-2010, 01:17 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
The executive order was need to satisify the PARANOID, overly zealous anti-choice crowd. There was no provision in the bill which allowed for federal funding of abortion.
Wow. Bart has a mental illness???? Do you have a link??? This is important. I did not know he was handicapped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies