Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 02:47 PM

14,570 posts, read 23,107,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
No, this link was taken directly from the Bill O'Reilly show, with Laura Ingraham as guest host that evening. Bill O'Reilly is an opinion show.

Next.
Well you'll have to excuse my ignorance, but then why the hell was it aired during "Fox and Friends", a program in which Laura Ingraham pops up on from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 02:50 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,401,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
An excellent summary explaining the differences between opinion and straight news, which the Left always ignores.

Reading thru these forums and certainly your posts there leaves little doubt the average conservative, republican, creationist, tea bagger gets their news and views from . . . (somebody's) opinion along with anonymous emails, etc, etc, etc.

If you have ever entered a post with a link to a NEWS article, please post the link.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:54 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,020,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Well you'll have to excuse my ignorance, but then why the hell was it aired during "Fox and Friends", a program in which Laura Ingraham pops up on from time to time.
You're asking me to explain the programming decisions of Fox?

I'm merely pointing out that this link was from an OPINION show. Why by the way is clearly evidenced in the link...look in the lower right hand corner at the "O'Reilly Factor" logo.

It gets tiresome having to explain the difference between news and opinions; even more tiresome hearing people screech about Beck, Hannity, etc because they're expressing their opinions. Don't like it? Don't watch it. Good grief.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
You're asking me to explain the programming decisions of Fox?
Hell, you seemed to be so informed about Fox News so I figured you were as good as anyone.

Quote:
I'm merely pointing out that this link was from an OPINION show. Why by the way is clearly evidenced in the link...look in the lower right hand corner at the "O'Reilly Factor" logo.
That could have been one of their little advertising things for all I knew. I checked my channel browser and saw it was the Fox and Friends segment. Lots of networks do that. I've seen Fox do something like that with Glenn Beck's logo.

Quote:
It gets tiresome having to explain the difference between news and opinions.
No, we get it, Fox just blurs the lines when...you know, they air those opinion segments during their news block.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:18 PM

214 posts, read 130,969 times
Dude, you seriously assume that everyone who watches Fox News can't tell opinion from fact?

Old 04-10-2010, 03:18 PM

37,804 posts, read 41,091,164 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, what exactly is your argument? Stop frothing at the mouth for a second and type in English for a second, ok?

Oh I get it, you're making the point the that because Fox News is popular, that it's ok. I'll remember that Ad Populum argument the next time there is a rant about Obama.

In the meantime, you should seek mental help.

Yeah, I'm well aware of all that. I'm also well aware of the fact that it was like 6 or 7am when I caught this segment, which is during the "Fox and Friends" news segment, not one of their opinion shows.

Next.
I haven't seen the Fox morning show since 2001 and at that time, an actor I happened to like was doing a blindfolded ice cream taste test. It seemed just like every other morning show, at the time. You know, the morning shows on ABC and NBC...they do a lot of weather, a lot of fluff stuff, have people on that are entertaining, have someone on promoting a book/movie/TV show that Katie Couric never read/saw (see it's been that long ago that I've turned on a morning show) but fakes it, and usually have a segment about health and/or food.

You know, I'm not sure if deciding whether your child should use Mr Soapy bubblebath or what presents to buy the wife on mother's day is my idea of an opinion show or a news show.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:19 PM

45,558 posts, read 60,809,385 times
With all the complaining about Fox News doesn't anyone remember when CBS had Eric Sevareid doing opinion pieces on the evening news? He's the only one I really remember (we only got 3 channels and CBS was 1) doing so but I would imagine that NBC and ABC both had editorialists.

Same thing but with cable and a 24 hour news day.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:25 PM

I remember when CBS was referred to as "Christian Broadcast Station". Does that count?

Old 04-10-2010, 03:31 PM

45,558 posts, read 60,809,385 times
Quote:
I remember when CBS was referred to as "Christian Broadcast Station". Does that count?
When was that? I was watching CBS in the late 50s when Douglas Edwards anchored at noon. I don't remember who the evening guy was but the news only was 15 minutes.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:38 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,071,440 times
Why does everyone hate Fox News so much? I personally love them more then any other network news.

If you know what the hate topic of the week is, and you hear some one blindly repeating it in the real world, you know who to stay the living hell away from because they are completely off their rocker. If only there was a way to get them to wear something (like a t-shirt), so I don't have to be in earshot to identify the nut cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies