Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 08:54 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Because exposing a breast is public nudity.
There is nothing sexual about breastfeeding. Look the other way if it bothers you.

I also love it when people say "Well, I can look the other way, but my kids will stare. I can't stop them from doing that." News flash, your kids could have been breastfed. Its natural.

Our society is too concerned about nudity and not concerned enough about violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 08:57 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It's funny. Those of us who have breast fed in public have never seen some of the stunts that others claim to come upon on a regular basis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Exactly. "Oh, I once saw a woman strip to the waist, do a shimmy, grin and then grab for her baby." Yes, folks, whatever. Weird how nobody else has seen this but you...
I know, weird? I have been around some extreme granola-mommy types in the NW, and they may have breast fed until their kids were 4 or 5 (), but I still never saw any of the disrobing some of y'all have been fortunate or unfortunate to witness.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:59 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I figure when the kids can have cookies with lunch they should use a glass. After all how are they going to learn how to dunk Oreos if they don't have a glass?

Old 04-12-2010, 10:19 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Well, why don't you guys just stay home?
Then you won't be exposed to "dumb, trashy, uneducated" people who see your need to control others but could care less because they are not judgmental.
By the way, get your last "discreet" in here because it will probably make your day and we sure want you to be happy while sitting home eating your dinner in front of the T.V.
So the entire restaurant needs to stay home so that you can flash your boob in peace? Would it really kill you to wait 30 seconds and take out a cover before breast feeding? So we are controlling you by asking you not to flash your boob to the entire restaurant? I'm guessing you feel the same way by asking you to wear clothing in public too?

Old 04-12-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
There is nothing sexual about breastfeeding. Look the other way if it bothers you.

I also love it when people say "Well, I can look the other way, but my kids will stare. I can't stop them from doing that." News flash, your kids could have been breastfed. Its natural.

Our society is too concerned about nudity and not concerned enough about violence.
Newsflash, you didn't breast feed your kids when they were 6. They don't remember being breast fed when they were a year old. It's not like a 5 year old sees a woman breast feeding her kid and then says to himself: "Oh yeah I remember that 4 years ago, it's perfectly natural, I have no reason to stare"

Old 04-12-2010, 10:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
So the entire restaurant needs to stay home so that you can flash your boob in peace? Would it really kill you to wait 30 seconds and take out a cover before breast feeding? So we are controlling you by asking you not to flash your boob to the entire restaurant? I'm guessing you feel the same way by asking you to wear clothing in public too?
Sorry, that's a logic flaw.

Most of us who have breast-fed in public have been/are discreet when doing so. However, short of hiding under a sheet or something, there is no way to nurse a baby w/o showing some boob. Plus, to get the baby on the breast, you have to expose the breast somehow. Generally, in a restaurant, you're at a table or in a booth, and only the people at your table can actually see that process, unless another patron is staring at you.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I'm not an expert on this, not having boobs, but just how can a woman begin breast feeding without in some way exposing her breast? Should the child drink through the blouse so the milk can be strained? Perhaps a cheese cloth bra?
Do you have kids? I have three kids and my wife breast fed occasionally in public but had a cover that she took with her so she wasn't exposing her breast in public. Go to Babies R Us or Bye Bye Baby and you will see them there. It's not a difficult concept to grasp. I don't understand why this is rocket science to some of you. Believe it or not, there are solutions aside from feeding through clothing. Here is one from Amazon and another from Walmart. Is $25 breaking the bank?

http://www.amazon.com/Leachco-Mother.../dp/B001QBV86W

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cara-Mia-B...ci_sku=7755630

Last edited by azriverfan.; 04-12-2010 at 10:39 AM..

Old 04-12-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Sorry, that's a logic flaw.

Most of us who have breast-fed in public have been/are discreet when doing so. However, short of hiding under a sheet or something, there is no way to nurse a baby w/o showing some boob. Plus, to get the baby on the breast, you have to expose the breast somehow. Generally, in a restaurant, you're at a table or in a booth, and only the people at your table can actually see that process, unless another patron is staring at you.

They are called breast cover-ups and nearly every woman I've seen breast feeding in public uses them unless they are some trashy woman who is clueless. Yes, if you are in a dimly lit restaurant in a corner, no one can see you but for the other 99% of the time, people can see you because you are going to be sitting adjacent to someone and they are going to see it and trust me, they don't want to stare.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:16 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
Quote:
Newsflash, you didn't breast feed your kids when they were 6. They don't remember being breast fed when they were a year old. It's not like a 5 year old sees a woman breast feeding her kid and then says to himself: "Oh yeah I remember that 4 years ago, it's perfectly natural, I have no reason to stare"
If you make it out to be a big deal, so will your kids. If you were to go on as if nothing happened, your kids will just ignore it. Kids learn behavior from their parents. I shouldn't have to tell you that Let's not have more people grow up with some weird stigma towards breastfeeding.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:26 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
They are called breast cover-ups and nearly every woman I've seen breast feeding in public uses them unless they are some trashy woman who is clueless. Yes, if you are in a dimly lit restaurant in a corner, no one can see you but for the other 99% of the time, people can see you because you are going to be sitting adjacent to someone and they are going to see it and trust me, they don't want to stare.
It's been 20+ years since I breastfed, so it's entirely possible there are some products out there that were not around when I had my kids. However, I've never heard of these "breast covers" and I don't see much need for them in any event. One's shirt makes a great cover-up as it is. My kids didn't much care for a blanket over their heads when they were nursing; I tried that. I've probably said this a dozen times on this thread now, there is very little breast exposed once the baby is latched on. There is probably less exposed than on the customer who is wearing a skimpy halter top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies