Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 09:41 AM

2,726 posts, read 6,115,039 times

Advertisements

I missed Palin, but even with scores of folks leaving, the crowd was much larger than I expected.

http://i39.tinypic.com/k15mbc.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 09:55 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
So the Tea Party Express has finally come to the bastion of American Liberalism, and it's proudest manipulator, excuse me...leader... will be keynoting in about 30 minutes.

All I see is irony. 230 years ago, the actual Tea Party was a act of distrust and dislike against a foreign government, an unfair tax (on tea of all things) and the horrific treatment of the citizens of Boston and Massachusetts Bay.

Of course today we have very different circumstance, something lost on the gullible Tea Partiers.

Someone should tell Sarah Palin the Alaska is in the "other" direction.

Actually the "Tea Party Express" is a GOP PAC. I wonder if the sheeple know that?

Old 04-14-2010, 10:47 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Sarah Palin’s Full Speech at the Boston Tea Party- The Right Scoop

Great speech.

Quote:
"All Alinsky, all the time".

Quote:
“we’ll keep our guns and our religion and you can keep the change!”

Old 04-14-2010, 12:02 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,115,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Quote:
“we’ll keep our guns and our religion and you can keep the change!”
The 2 things that scare me the most. I'm all for smaller government, but the guns and religion angle will always turn me off.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:06 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Huh? Our tax system which is completely disconnected from any actual liability to the State by the individual is hardly what I'd call "representation". If you are a collectivist, sure, you are being "represented". However, if you believe in individual freedom, there is no "representation" of any kind within the Centralized State.
Huh? Everyone over 18 has a right to vote. That's the representational individual freedom afforded by the Constitution.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:38 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Huh? Everyone over 18 has a right to vote. That's the representational individual freedom afforded by the Constitution.
Sure. That is your "representation". You get to pick who will dictate your life, not what they will dictate once elected. Any system represents the system's interest, period. Hopefully, that system's interests agrees with yours, otherwise you are screwed. Not that our system is worse than any other, I would say that originally, it was a great leap forward. However, "representative" government is not, nor will it ever be, anything more than a different form of government force upon the individual.

What we once attempted was a government that served to protect individual freedom, not what we have now which is a government that determines which individual freedoms serve the government. Look at any preferential law passed and wonder what happened to those who are punished to benefit others. How is their individual freedom represented?

What has "representative" government resulted in ultimately? Simply an endless stream of special interest "laws" and nothing more. Arbitrary winners and losers determined by whatever faction was in power at the time that they are written. What that has to do with protecting individual liberty, I have no idea whatsoever. It is a beast of force, a thug, a bully, whether "representative" or not. Whether individuals are "represented" or not in the system is a matter of whether they by chance happen to be protected by those in power. Does it really matter whether a "representative", a majority, or a dictator, imposes its will upon an individual through force? Not really, if you are forced to act against your own will, you have lost individual freedom.

Live and let live.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
The 2 things that scare me the most. I'm all for smaller government, but the guns and religion angle will always turn me off.
Agreed, but what I don't understand is why these people think someone is trying to take their guns and religion? Sounds quite paranoid to me.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Sure. That is your "representation". You get to pick who will dictate your life, not what they will dictate once elected. Any system represents the system's interest, period. Hopefully, that system's interests agrees with yours, otherwise you are screwed. Not that our system is worse than any other, I would say that originally, it was a great leap forward. However, "representative" government is not, nor will it ever be, anything more than a different form of government force upon the individual.

What we once attempted was a government that served to protect individual freedom, not what we have now which is a government that determines which individual freedoms serve the government. Look at any preferential law passed and wonder what happened to those who are punished to benefit others. How is their individual freedom represented?

What has "representative" government resulted in ultimately? Simply an endless stream of special interest "laws" and nothing more. Arbitrary winners and losers determined by whatever faction was in power at the time that they are written. What that has to do with protecting individual liberty, I have no idea whatsoever. It is a beast of force, a thug, a bully, whether "representative" or not. Whether individuals are "represented" or not in the system is a matter of whether they by chance happen to be protected by those in power. Does it really matter whether a "representative", a majority, or a dictator, imposes its will upon an individual through force? Not really, if you are forced to act against your own will, you have lost individual freedom.

Live and let live.
Drama aside, it has always been this way. There have always been special interests. There has always been pressure on government from these interests.

Do you really not see a difference between our form of government and that of, say, Iran? No one dictates my life other than me, and for 40+ hours per week, my employer. I'm free to tell my employer to take a flying leap if I choose. If you feel under someone's thumb, maybe seek a divorce attorney?

People can't do whatever they want in a civil society. That's just reality. You can't even do what you want under anarchy. There will always be rules and those who impose them. Any other mindset would seem to indicate an immature and/or spoiled attitude.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:12 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,907 times
Quote:
Drama aside, it has always been this way. There have always been special interests. There has always been pressure on government from these interests.

Do you really not see a difference between our form of government and that of, say, Iran? No one dictates my life other than me, and for 40+ hours per week, my employer. I'm free to tell my employer to take a flying leap if I choose. If you feel under someone's thumb, maybe seek a divorce attorney?

People can't do whatever they want in a civil society. That's just reality. You can't even do what you want under anarchy. There will always be rules and those who impose them. Any other mindset would seem to indicate an immature and/or spoiled attitude.
Drama aside.

Yes, it has always been this way. That is why the State as a conquering, hired, or elected, thug will always be a bad thing for individual liberty.

I see a big difference between our system and others, as I have said that our original premise was a great leap forward in individual freedom. However, the entirety of special interest law that has accumulated has transformed us into something quite unlike its origin. Now it is merely a matter of style not substance to those who are victims of initiations of force by government. We are not a nation of individual freedom anymore, we are a nation of particular freedom. We have all freedoms that the government does not fear. As soon as any freedom is viewed as dangerous to the system, it will be abolished by those who control it.

As to a "civil society", all that people must do is not initiate force upon their fellow man. Voluntary cooperation without the use of force. If a society has to use force to impose its will and keep prisoners and slaves, it is no longer "civil" in any way. Smaller societies that can reach consensus and voluntary cooperation are needed to be "civil". Large societies that must have large portions of their population being victims to those in power at any given time are a tragedy not just to freedom, but to humanity as well.

Live and let live.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:16 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Agreed, but what I don't understand is why these people think someone is trying to take their guns and religion? Sounds quite paranoid to me.
Obama sewed those seeds when he taunted people who "cling" to religion and guns. People who have favorable views of religion and guns are generally very principled and very strong-willed. Some scrawny dude from Illinois making fun of them only serves to intensify their passions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies