Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 03:21 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, usually in the hospital nurses work 12 hr shifts. I work in an office. We're usually there about 9 hrs. "Full-time" is considered 4 days b/c they don't want to pay us OT.
The 12 hr shift is based on a 3 day week as is 10 hr on a 4 day week and 8 hr on a 5 day week (most of the nurses I know won't do the 12 hr shift wk). It isn't something that can be mandated as it must be a agreed and negotiated. It does not behoove the hospital to have a 12hr/3 day wk due to the fact that an increase in errors, depression, increased illness etc... have been directly linked to it.

About the OP - a good teacher is priceless. With the advent of the FTA and all these "plans" to make education better Hmm.

click on "Education Overhaul" for the interview with Arne Duncan

Arne Duncan News and Video - FOX News Topics - FOXNews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 07:15 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Why is it that when we look at the over all health of our nation, nobody is blaming hospitals, nurses, and Dr's for rising rates of ; obesity, diabetes, smoking deaths, and heart attack and a whole host of preventive illnesses. Aren't they like the schools, administrators and teachers of our health care?
The reason is nobody has a problem with the fact that people with the most money tend to enjoy good health, and if you are poor tough luck. That is same for schools more money = better educated kids. There is an area of my state that just was accessed at the bottom of the list in over all health in a five county region. Nobody is making any indictments about the lack of skills in the health care profession. But in the urban area where students are performing poorly, they are closing schools, firing teachers and, there was once even a federal government take over of one school system in the area. Should we send in the federal government to take over all the hospitals and fire all the Dr.s and nurses?

Old 04-18-2010, 07:39 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
IThere is a reason why if you need a musician you will get a whole line of people who will work for beer, or if you want some one to go on a dig with you ,they will pay you, most of those jobs don't have trouble finding anyone because they are rewarding. All the teachers I know have to get a summer gig, They teach summer school, driver's ed., paint houses, what ever . When I ask my principal in august "did you have a good vacation" he said " yeah,I got away for a couple of weeks' some summer off.any teacher worth their weight is spending the summer getting more education, going to ed workshops, and reading all those books you will be teaching out of , and your full year teaching plans and schedule is due before school starts. There is a reason that there is a teachers shortage
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the demand for elementary teachers is expected to grow slightly slower than the rest of the workforce. Because the number of students enrolled isn't growing at the same pace it has in years past.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
A nurse's schedule is very demanding yet I rarely hear complaints from you guys. I think a nurse's job is just as noble as a teacher's job and my hats off to you guys.
Thanks. I think what gets me about teachers is that many (not all of course) complain that teaching is the only profession that has to do this, that, the other. . . When pointed out to them that other professionals do have to keep up with their fields, work late, etc, you don't hear much of a response.

Quote:
Why is it that when we look at the over all health of our nation, nobody is blaming hospitals, nurses, and Dr's for rising rates of ; obesity, diabetes, smoking deaths, and heart attack and a whole host of preventive illnesses. Aren't they like the schools, administrators and teachers of our health care?
The reason is nobody has a problem with the fact that people with the most money tend to enjoy good health, and if you are poor tough luck. That is same for schools more money = better educated kids. There is an area of my state that just was accessed at the bottom of the list in over all health in a five county region. Nobody is making any indictments about the lack of skills in the health care profession. But in the urban area where students are performing poorly, they are closing schools, firing teachers and, there was once even a federal government take over of one school system in the area. Should we send in the federal government to take over all the hospitals and fire all the Dr.s and nurses?
You obviously haven't been following the health care debate. We health pros face a steady barrage of 1) Not emphasizing prevention enough, 2) Trying to keep people sick by witholding cures to make money, 3) Foisting unneccesary treatment on patients to make money, and much more. I think teachers need to get over their persecution complex.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
The 12 hr shift is based on a 3 day week as is 10 hr on a 4 day week and 8 hr on a 5 day week (most of the nurses I know won't do the 12 hr shift wk). It isn't something that can be mandated as it must be a agreed and negotiated. It does not behoove the hospital to have a 12hr/3 day wk due to the fact that an increase in errors, depression, increased illness etc... have been directly linked to it.

About the OP - a good teacher is priceless. With the advent of the FTA and all these "plans" to make education better Hmm.

click on "Education Overhaul" for the interview with Arne Duncan

Arne Duncan News and Video - FOX News Topics - FOXNews.com
A hospital can implement any kind of system it wants, and make whatever work rules it wants as long as they're legal. It certainly can be mandated for a nurse to work a 12 hr. shift. Most hospitals here in Colorado are not unionized, if that's what you're talking about re: negotiation and agreement. The nurse usually gets the choice of "take it or leave it". I'd be interested in hearing where these nurses you know work that they can refuse to work a 12 hr. shift.

I have no issues with paying teachers a decent wage.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

You obviously haven't been following the health care debate. We health pros face a steady barrage of 1) Not emphasizing prevention enough, 2) Trying to keep people sick by witholding cures to make money, 3) Foisting unneccesary treatment on patients to make money, and much more. I think teachers need to get over their persecution complex.
In the field of education they are way past "Talking the Talk" they are "Walking the Walk" Firings , Closings and take overs of systems.

You know where I live there are a few Dr.'s and Dentist who don't even take medical cards, They will say its the payment system, But people on Blue Cross and Blue Shield have better overall health, don't stink up their waiting rooms, and usually are getting routine care. It is not fair to compare the issues of a public entity with that of private business.

Private schools are doing quite well, teachers don't complain much.
I have been in a bunch of private schools around the country and wow! you cant believe the quality of education at these schools ,some are high end boarding schools and wow! I would not be exaggerating if I compared some these private boarding school middle school students to community college kids. But I understand the cost would be comparable to my entire income per child.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
In the field of education they are way past "Talking the Talk" they are "Walking the Walk" Firings , Closings and take overs of systems.

You know where I live there are a few Dr.'s and Dentist who don't even take medical cards, They will say its the payment system, But people on Blue Cross and Blue Shield have better overall health, don't stink up their waiting rooms, and usually are getting routine care. It is not fair to compare the issues of a public entity with that of private business.

I have been in a bunch of private schools around the country and wow! you cant believe the quality of education at these schools ,some are high end boarding schools and wow! I would not be exaggerating if I compared some these private boarding school middle school students to community college kids. But I understand the cost would be comparable to my entire income per child.
Well, you're the one who asked why health care providers aren't being blamed for obesity, etc. In short, they (we) are being blamed. That was the premise of my response.

As far as public to private, most hospitals are non-profit, either private or government. There are many HCWs in public employment.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:31 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
I don't make the assumption that people with higher incomes have the highest obesity rates, or diabetes and smoking.

It really doesn't take a lot of money to eat right (it takes much less in fact) or to get out and get exercise, and it saves money not to smoke.

You're assuming that people with higher incomes run to the doctors more often or must be told by doctors to stop eating, drinking, smoking.

Also better educated kids would more likely come from families that have a strong work ethic, more ambition and so have higher incomes.

I believe it all goes back to individual responsibility more than anything. People with higher incomes don't expect the teachers to do it all, are far more likely to send their children to school prepared to learn, have taught their children the basics before day 1.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:35 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Quote:
Oh I've heard PLENTY of private school teachers complain. Including an immediate relative. They are sacrificing their god-given right to a pension, you see. For the good of the children, of course.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:02 AM

before we decide what a teacher is worth lets decide what a good education is worth. There must a few People in poor neighborhoods sending their kids to poor performing schools who are driving a car and paying a bank $200.00-$400.00 am month to drive a nice car. That is prolly equal to the amount the state is paying to educate their kid. Who gets more value out of a well educated kid ,the parents or the community?
I was in brazil a while back and a guy who sidelined as a driver for me ,did it to pay for private education for his kids, he said many people do this . Imagine that, working a part time job so you can afford a better school for you kids. We never play the "personal responsibility" card when referring to kids who are not performing well in school. Its always bad schools and unskilled teachers. If one kid from a bad school graduates and goes to college does that prove that every student was given the same opportunity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies