Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 04:59 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Teachers are also the only professionals who are paid like unskilled workers, I mean, big deal you get fired from a $28,000 job. The starting wage for most professionals is way higher than a teacher . All a teacher has over most professionals is Job security, like a janitor working for the state or federal government, but less pay.
No, they're not the only ones. They're just the only ones so absorbed in their own martyrdom that they can't think of the others who go to college and earn low wages too: social workers, horticulturalists, musicians, architects, hotel and restaurant managers, archeologists.....to name a few. And yeah, in all of these jobs, the worker has to work all year for that crappy salary.

Teachers should be paid more. So should a lot of people. That isn't an excuse for poor performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 05:01 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,027,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
IMHO a good teacher is worth much more than that
How much of your tax dollars are you willing to pay a high performing teacher?

Old 04-17-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
No, they're not the only ones. They're just the only ones so absorbed in their own martyrdom that they can't think of the others who go to college and earn low wages too: social workers, horticulturalists, musicians, architects, hotel and restaurant managers, archeologists.....to name a few. And yeah, in all of these jobs, the worker has to work all year for that crappy salary.

Teachers should be paid more. So should a lot of people. That isn't an excuse for poor performance.
Exactly! Teachers need to get rid of the martyrdom complex.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:03 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,904,050 times
A good teacher is priceless. A good teacher is a person who makes people want to learn. In order to do that, he/she needs a manageable class, and many resources. They can work miracles together. Nothing beats enthusiasm, and the desire to actually go to school. Fear, and dread are not good things for human beings.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
A good teacher is priceless. A good teacher is a person who makes people want to learn. In order to do that, he/she needs a manageable class, and many resources. They can work miracles together. Nothing beats enthusiasm, and the desire to actually go to school. Fear, and dread are not good things for human beings.
I agree that teachers need more resources. It's pathetic how much we pay to educate each child but yet, teachers are not armed with enough supplies and books to make learning happen.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:24 PM

955 posts, read 2,158,232 times
Quote:
Hard to disagree with Peggy Anne. It's also hard to disagree with:

"A good business manager is priceless. A good manager is a person who makes people want to learn. In order to do that, he/she needs a manageable span of control, and many resources. They can work miracles together. Nothing beats enthusiasm, and the desire to actually go to the workplace. Fear, and dread are not good things for human beings."

Old 04-17-2010, 07:07 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
Quote:

IThere is a reason why if you need a musician you will get a whole line of people who will work for beer, or if you want some one to go on a dig with you ,they will pay you, most of those jobs don't have trouble finding anyone because they are rewarding. All the teachers I know have to get a summer gig, They teach summer school, driver's ed., paint houses, what ever . When I ask my principal in august "did you have a good vacation" he said " yeah,I got away for a couple of weeks' some summer off.any teacher worth their weight is spending the summer getting more education, going to ed workshops, and reading all those books you will be teaching out of , and your full year teaching plans and schedule is due before school starts. There is a reason that there is a teachers shortage

Old 04-17-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
IThere is a reason why if you need a musician you will get a whole line of people who will work for beer, or if you want some one to go on a dig with you ,they will pay you, most of those jobs don't have trouble finding anyone because they are rewarding. All the teachers I know have to get a summer gig, They teach summer school, driver's ed., paint houses, what ever . When I ask my principal in august "did you have a good vacation" he said " yeah,I got away for a couple of weeks' some summer off.any teacher worth their weight is spending the summer getting more education, going to ed workshops, and reading all those books you will be teaching out of , and your full year teaching plans and schedule is due before school starts. There is a reason that there is a teachers shortage
The rest of the professional world does not receive the summer off for professional development activities. Many folks work 40+ hours and still are expected to keep their skills and training up to date.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:53 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
Quote:
Great post. I think that the desire to learn (and listen) should be cultivated at home. So that the teacher can concentrate on teaching instead of motivating and disciplining. I still think the failure of American education is rooted in the home, not the schools.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Teachers are also the only professionals who are paid like unskilled workers, I mean, big deal you get fired from a $28,000 job. The starting wage for most professionals is way higher than a teacher . All a teacher has over most professionals is Job security, like a janitor working for the state or federal government, but less pay.

I had a teaching job and quit after a year, actually it was at the semester I said I'm not coming back. It wasn't worth all the time you have to put in, and don't get fooled by that "you get summers off "

Why is it that schools in wealthier areas have better schools and athletic teams ? Do they have a way of finding better teachers and coaches from the same applicant pool ? Do they pay them better?, not always. Students from middle and upper class families know they need an education to live at least they way their parents do. IMO the answer lies in high performing students who are attending in low performing schools.
Quote:

Yeah, you left off nurses. I know your list wasn't supposed to be all inclusive.

Quote:
Where is there a teacher shortaged? Here, there is a shortage of teaching jobs for those who want to teach, and there are threads all over CD about this problem. Most teachers I know spend their summers traveling and generally relaxing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies