Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:30 AM

2,318 posts, read 1,894,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
By the time you get to late middle school or high school, it's infinitely more difficult to learn a language. I walked out of high school functional in Spanish, but only because I luckily went to a high school where I was able to be in Spanish class for an hour and a half year round and that offered up to Spanish 7.

It's my dream that ALL elementary schools in this country were bilingual immersion. That way, when students got to middle school, they could pick up a 3rd language.

It is a foolish lango , what I can say at a normal speed in 1 minute takes a spanish person 5 minutes to say on fast speed .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 10:59 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr33hugger View Post
Why is it terrible to learn to learn something new that you will PROBABLY use in your lifetime?
Uhhh, I've lived in Texas most of my life and NEVER had to use spanish, espanol, mex/tex or any bastardization of that language.

There are job ads that prefer or require spanish speaking. Far as I'm concerned that should be treated as discrimination.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:27 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr33hugger View Post
We're talking about elementary level starting with Kinder here.

So do you feel that it's productive to take U.S. citizen children who's first language is English and tech them in Spanish in various subjects in kindergarten? I don't like the thought of that. Before the racism rebuttals fly I wouldn't like it to be French, German, Chinese , or Japanese either!

Old 04-19-2010, 11:33 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Uhhh, I've lived in Texas most of my life and NEVER had to use spanish, espanol, mex/tex or any bastardization of that language.

There are job ads that prefer or require spanish speaking. Far as I'm concerned that should be treated as discrimination.

Good point. The Salvation Army was sued for requiring that people speak English in order to work for them yet how many job postings do you see out there requiring that applicants speak Spanish?

Lawyer speaks out on Salvation Army suit - Framingham, MA - The MetroWest Daily News

Old 04-19-2010, 11:36 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post

I never understand this logic, let's say a company has clients in Latin America that speak only Spanish. So they should hire people in the US that only know how to speak English?

How is that going to work?

Old 04-19-2010, 12:43 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Remember, English is the hardest language in the world to speak, the other ones should be easy.
Lol, but at least you know how to motivate people

Old 04-19-2010, 12:50 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
I consider it an asset that I can at least understand five languages. And I'm jealous of my sister, who can speak, read and write in six languages.

Then I meet a few, who claim to know only English, and questionable grasp of the language to go with it.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:57 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You may use it but not in business in a global situation. English is the standard language.
Agree, but the guys who lost out on the huge multi-billion dollar mergers and other deals who decried the loss to their boss' on the account that I could speak Japanese as well as Spanish and somewhat marginal Italian, was because the clients were discriminating against them and it just wasn't fair. That because I knew those languages I can in and swept the deals, and I should have to share my bonuses.

Guess he didn't realize that working for a GLOBAL finance corporation did business outside of the United States. One more reason they are unemployed, and I retired early.

But, yeah...keep thinking that it's a waste, and a burden. Our country also needs ditch diggers and people to pick up the trash on trash day, and on the highways. Meanwhile, both my 2nd grader and Kindergartner already speak English and Spanish, and we're working on Chinese.

Tell those other kids, not to forget to pick up my kids lunch tray either...they might as well get used to it now.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:02 PM

20 posts, read 14,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
So do you feel that it's productive to take U.S. citizen children who's first language is English and tech them in Spanish in various subjects in kindergarten? I don't like the thought of that. Before the racism rebuttals fly I wouldn't like it to be French, German, Chinese , or Japanese either!
Yes, Kinder is probably the ideal age due to the learning capacity. As for your idea of the other languages, It would be a good idea to learn the next mostly spoken language in the US (Spanish) The other languages can be taught later as an elective if the students want.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:02 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You may use it but not in business in a global situation. English is the standard language.
And this inclusion doesn't attempt to change that. It is always better for kids to learn more than less. I do disagree with the idea of half English and half Spanish instructions, and would rather see Spanish as a second language, with rest of the courses in English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies