Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 10:39 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Trailer parks aren't that "diverse" either.
LOL!!.... hey, whaddaya mean, they're all painted different!

http://www.lotuseaters.net/images-06/JR61304-trailr-park.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 10:44 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,872 times
Yeah! Making fun of poor people is great. Why are they so uneducated?! Can't they just pick up a book or go to school? Haha, and what's up with their shorter life expectancies and the greater levels of violence in their neighborhoods!? Hahaha!! Why do they choose to limit themselves so much?

Well, I'm off to the Yacht club, see you all later.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:45 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
How come you find very little diversity in the 'Hood'?

How come everyone in the hood has the same rap or r&b ring tones?
How come no one puts up Halloween decors or x-mas decors in the hood?
How come males always frown and hardly ever smile or laugh in the hood?

Of all the communities I've lived in, I find the 'hood' to be the least creative, most hostile place I've existed in.
And I find or see very little diversity, if any.

It's like everyone thinks the same, talks the same, has the same style, listens to the same music...no diversity at all...why is that?

Sometimes I think rap music has stripped the hood of any diversity it may have use to have...all I hear in the hood, (at least the southern hood) is this dry, bland sounding southern rap mess...or some R&B tune.

Why do people so limit themselves culturely in the hood?

Please provide a detailed description of what you believe to be "The Hood".

Is your description based on your observations of a specific city, county, state, region?

In your version of "The Hood" are you including what others would describe as "The Barrio", "The Ghetto", an "Enclave" or is it just "The Hood" - please expand upon this topic.

Are you a member of some type of community outreach program which has allowed you initimate access into a high percentage of all of the households in the area which you are classifiying as "The Hood"?

Have you personally proactively sought out the diversity that exists within each community including "The Hood"?

Have you looked for the untold stories of the overlooked residents who quietly go to work each day, come home and raise their families, who go to a house of worship, who volunteer and give back?

I think that you have actually answered some of your own questions in your original post. Your post isn't really a call for answers, its a call for corrobaration of your negativity regarding those who you are classifying as "Hood".

You (and many like you) have already written "all" of these people off as human beings who have nothing to contribute to society simply based upon where they live or were born. Because you have already made the decision that "all" of these "Hood" people are a certain way, you would never be open to discovering the possible diversity that does exist or to hear to stories that are untold.

It is also interesting that you have decided to use the words "everyone" and "all" in your post - however I highly doubt that you have personally met "all" of those whom you are attempting to belittle.

When you take the time to scratch the surface, many fascinating things maybe revealed about some people and their contributions to the world.

For example, in college, a Black Professor who was also a department chair told me that he lived in one of the worst neighborhoods in Los Angeles. When I asked this incredibly intelligent and well-respected man why, he answered that far too many Blacks leave the community once they gain success and that the young people in his community needed to see examples such as his as an option.

Progressing as a community depends on giving those who can see it, tangible options and alternatives. Why not try to be their inspiration instead of being their condemnation.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:59 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
LOL!!.... hey, whaddaya mean, they're all painted different!
Am I racist for liking the green one better than the others?

Old 04-20-2010, 11:04 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,792 times
Quote:
Trailer Parks have a certain charm about them.
Notice how the Garbage cans line the streets. Its Art!

Old 04-20-2010, 11:07 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Please provide a detailed description of what you believe to be "The Hood".

Is your description based on your observations of a specific city, county, state, region?

In your version of "The Hood" are you including what others would describe as "The Barrio", "The Ghetto", an "Enclave" or is it just "The Hood" - please expand upon this topic.

Are you a member of some type of community outreach program which has allowed you initimate access into a high percentage of all of the households in the area which you are classifiying as "The Hood"?

Have you personally proactively sought out the diversity that exists within each community including "The Hood"?

Have you looked for the untold stories of the overlooked residents who quietly go to work each day, come home and raise their families, who go to a house of worship, who volunteer and give back?

I think that you have actually answered some of your own questions in your original post. Your post isn't really a call for answers, its a call for corrobaration of your negativity regarding those who you are classifying as "Hood".

You (and many like you) have already written "all" of these people off as human beings who have nothing to contribute to society simply based upon where they live or were born. Because you have already made the decision that "all" of these "Hood" people are a certain way, you would never be open to discovering the possible diversity that does exist or to hear to stories that are untold.

It is also interesting that you have decided to use the words "everyone" and "all" in your post - however I highly doubt that you have personally met "all" of those whom you are attempting to belittle.

When you take the time to scratch the surface, many fascinating things maybe revealed about some people and their contributions to the world.

For example, in college, a Black Professor who was also a department chair told me that he lived in one of the worst neighborhoods in Los Angeles. When I asked this incredibly intelligent and well-respected man why, he answered that far too many Blacks leave the community once they gain success and that the young people in his community needed to see examples such as his as an option.

Progressing as a community depends on giving those who can see it, tangible options and alternatives. Why not try to be their inspiration instead of being their condemnation.
The 'hood' I'm speaking of is southern...more like 'country hood'...where everyone is the same...
Listen to the same music...r&b ringtones on cell phone...or some rap song on the cell phone ring tone...
It's always the same dry, non melody rap music blarring from the car stereo or some R&B song...same o same o....

People talk the same, reason the same, dress the same, listen to the same music ect ect...there is no diversity in the hood...

When I go to other communities I see and hear diversity...

I hear people listening to Jazz, rock, blues, country, opera, punk rock, retro-disco, metal, grunge, soft rock, soul, olden goldies, ect ect...

But in the hood all I hear is dry non melody rap or R&B....
The hood lacks diversity....sad but true...

Old 04-20-2010, 11:11 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,872 times
Quote:
The 'hood' I'm speaking of is southern...more like 'country hood'...where everyone is the same...
Listen to the same music...r&b ringtones on cell phone...or some rap song on the cell phone ring tone...
It's always the same dry, non melody rap music blarring from the car stereo or some R&B song...same o same o....

People talk the same, reason the same, dress the same, listen to the same music ect ect...there is no diversity in the hood...

I hear people listening to Jazz, rock, blues, country, opera, punk rock, retro-disco, metal, grunge, soft rock, soul, olden goldies, ect ect...

Poverty and ignorance create a heightened pressure to conform. Is it really that hard to figure out?

Old 04-20-2010, 11:15 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Quote:

You seem to have a very superficial view of what "diversity" is.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:26 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:

Well then maybe you should be the catalyst for the change.

Do you live your life as an alternative for them to see?

Have you personally done anything to help the community to expand its horizons?

Have you volunteered to do an art day with the local kids? Or encouraged the local girls to take a community sponsored ballet class. Or helped to organize a mini jazz festival? Or held a fundraiser to take the local kids on a fieldtrip? Or offered to teach a weekly yoga class at the local community center?

What have you personally done to help change the situation?

Complaining is so very easy....being proactive is not.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:30 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Only if you think yours is the "dominant color", like the beige-colored ones (especially with the new pickem-up parked out in front)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies