Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 11:14 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
You and I both know these were exceptions to the rule. Do you honestly want me to believe that slavemaster/slave sex was consensual and were secret love affairs? There's a reason that the "child followed the mother" in slavery times. If slavemasters cared so much for their offspring, why make this rule? Why not allow their beloved children freedom?
You, and many others seem to overlook an important fact. There were thousands of black slave owners who were already middle class. In fact in the new orleans area, there were over 3000 black slave owners in the 1860 census.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 11:21 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
So, saying that welfare abuse is a problem for ALL, means I'm avoiding the fact that welfare abuse in the black community is a problem?
No, what you said was...
Quote:
What difference does this make?
You're deliberately avoiding the disproportionately high problems within the Black community, right there.

Deliberate avoidance by the Black community... that's why the problems are never addressed and many Blacks are still trapped in poverty.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:22 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,475,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Black women are included, in disproportionately high numbers, in the group that receives public assistance. That group has a birth rate 3 times higher than everyone else.
Yeah but you specifically state black women, not the group.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
They don't care. Read the posts of the black Americans on here they can't even concede there is a problem. The few that do claim it's not their problem anyway.

But than they want to be seen as individuals and can't understand why folks paint them with a broad brush. Um ok.
Point out the posts of the black americans that said it wasn't a problem. I'll wait.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Yeah but you specifically state black women, not the group.
Try again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Are Blacks who are receiving public assistance likely to have more children? Yes. The stat is they have a birth rate 3 times higher than everyone else.
Women receiving public assistance have a birth rate 3 times higher than those who don't receive public assistance. That's a documented fact.

Blacks are disproportionately over-represented among those living at or below the poverty level. Proportionately, they're more likely to be receiving public assistance and having more children.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:47 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
You, and many others seem to overlook an important fact. There were thousands of black slave owners who were already middle class. In fact in the new orleans area, there were over 3000 black slave owners in the 1860 census.
In fairness these were French influenced mulattoes some former slave owners in Haiti. They would take great offense to being called "black".

Still there were quite a few black slaveowners. I read a bio on James Forten and his aunt died a relatively wealthy woman and left her estate including a slave to her niece.

Then there was the Ellison family in SC who owned many slaves and even paid 500k for confederate war bonds.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:53 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,609,252 times
All her kids, she added, "are gifts from God."

One of the many reasons I don't trust religion and overtly religious people.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:07 PM

I think the problem in this thread is not that the black people are denying the problems in the "black community" but that other non black people are just pointing the fingers at us while they have the same problems in their own communities and pretend like they are not there. Lets be honest when's the last time you've seen a thread in here expressing concern about the white unwed birthrate doubling with no end in site? I'll wait.

1,020 posts, read 1,713,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I don't presume to know you, and I don't care to want to know you.

If your reading comprehension is good, you wouldn't have misinterpreted what I wrote. Either you can't read or you're a liar. Which is it?

My family was in this country long before any European was. Even my European ancestors have been here since the 1690s. 200 years? Your folks are just recent immigrants.

Would you like a Life Saver?

Maybe you, as an individual, do not glorify criminals and gangsters. I never said you did. I don't care if you do or not. But America's popular culture certainly does glorify criminals and gangsters. The whole genre of Western movies is focused on criminal behavior. How many movies or comics or novels have been made about "outlaws" such as Jesse James? Why are people like Al Capone and John Gotti such objects of fascination? Why was The Sopranos one of the most popular TV shows?
You would not call me a liar to my face, and get away with it. You try to insult and avoid the real subject matter in this so-called discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
When you tackle the issues of child predators in your community then maybe you can dictate to others
More avoidance and dishonest attempts at deflection.

...And the Black community still suffers with disproportionately high rates of poverty, unwed births, and crime rates against children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies