Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2010, 12:25 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,836,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I guess that is no longer the case. I assume most immigrants (not just in the US) these days migrate because of economic reasons only, not because they like the new culture better than their own.
I understand things better sometimes if I can think of other similar examples. Let me try that here.

-A prostitute likes the customer's money, but hates and has no respect for the customer.
-While working for the customer he/she likes to display this hate and lack of respect by wearing t-shirts that say 'eff you' and he/she likes to spit in the customer's face (excluding when that was the service requested of course).
-The prostitute expects to be paid, tipped even, and also to be protected by the customer from all bad or unpleasant things

... hmmm ... I dunno, I'm just not buying it

(BTW I'm not criticizing prostitutes)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 12:26 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,766,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
The difference between the 4th of July is that it is a USA national celebration and Cinco De Mayo is a national celebration of another country. If folks chose to wear national attire of another country during our national day (which they have 1st Amendment rights to do) would be extremely disrespectful of the ground they are standing upon. I would NEVER dream of going to Mexico and wearing a USA t-shirt during their national celebrations. As another poster mentioned, Cinco de Mayo is NOT a USA holiday and many Americans are not even aware of this day as it is another nation's holiday.
So why not just ignore those 'Mexicans' and their ethnic holiday? I assume that display of US flags on that very day did not exactly help to bring those students closer to US culture.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:27 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,026,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Problem here, big major problem, and a major OVERHAUL is needed. When we have to watch out about the feelings of how some feel about anything American, and that those in authority, are very sensitive to their feelings, but not AMERICAN FEELINGS, their is a major pboblem, going on, something needs a overhaul, this for gosh sakes is not acceptable in other Countries. When we stick up for those that are offended by anything American but not American culture, we have lost that American Spirit, American Pride, And a celebration, of the Country we live in America. Something has got to be done, these people should leave themselves, to live in Another Country, if they are going to be offended, by those offended by anything American.

How about AMERICAN RIGHTS being trumped for the "sensitivity" to others' FEELINGS??? But this doesn't surprise me when I see what the public schools have been teaching our kids for a long time now. White people are the bad guys/Ugly Americans. Breaking the Law is okay if its for a good/just cause. The end justifies the means... There is no definitive right or wrong...

Check your kid's backpack and start reading the books they are bringing home from public school if you have any doubts. (BTW, these messages are embedded deep within every subject your child is studying, not just in the social studies/history classes.)

It is time for every citizen and legal immigrant to start demonstrating pride and responsibility for America. It is time to Forget Political Correctness and start doing the right thing.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
I understand things better sometimes if I can think of other similar examples. Let me try that here.

-A prostitute likes the customer's money, but hates and has no respect for the customer.
-While working for the customer he/she likes to display this hate and lack of respect by wearing t-shirts that say 'eff you' and he/she likes to spit in the customer's face (excluding when that was the service requested of course).
-The prostitute expects to be paid, tipped even, and also to be protected by the customer from all bad or unpleasant things

... hmmm ... I dunno, I'm just not buying it
A really odd analogy

Old 05-13-2010, 12:47 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,458,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Regardless of the reasons why immigrants migrate to the USA, they should respect our ways and customs. I'm so sick of this new breed of immigrants that avail themselves of our tax payer benefits and spit upon our nation's traditions. If you want to come to the USA (the country which I love dearly) then please respect our ways and customs. Don't expect me to kowtow to your nation's customs on OUR soil!
Good Post and agreed. Who cares the reasons why immigrants migrate to the good old USA, once here, they need to respect our ways and our American cultures.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:49 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,181,360 times
So it's ok for them to carry the US flag in their marches but not ok for Americans to do so...

Old 05-13-2010, 01:51 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,605,629 times
Looked like feeding time at the zoo!

Old 05-13-2010, 02:41 PM

I was just looking which holiday it was today in Germany, and I noticed that Cinco de Mayo is listed as a US holiday by Google Calendar

Old 05-13-2010, 02:44 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,033,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I was just looking which holiday it was today in Germany, and I noticed that Cinco de Mayo is listed as a US holiday by Google Calendar
That is an error and does not surprise me with Google. Cinco de Mayo is a Mexican holiday. Schools and businesses are open during the 5th of May, even in California.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:47 PM

75 posts, read 108,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
What did they intend to start? They were minding their own business, in clothes that they wear with some regularity, displaying colors and representations of the flag. Why should anyone else care? It was the overly sensitive Mexican students who were looking to start something, who couldn't mind their own business. It wasn't enough for them to celebrate their own holiday, they have to make sure everyone else honors their Mexican holiday as well??? Idiots. Are we going to start celebrating ALL of the Mexican holidays now? How about we fly a Mexican flag outside of the school instead of an American flag? After all.....we don't want the Mexican students to think we are trying to 'start something'.
honey, if you're trying to imply that im mexican, im not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies