Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 02:13 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
2007 filibusters --
U.S. Senate: Contacting The Senate > search

2008 filibusters --

How many would have impacted employment? I don't know, look thru, I suspect you could find quite a few.
Hilarious!! How many of those in the first link were filibusters?

Did you even bother to look at your links?

Try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 02:14 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
2007 filibusters --

2008 filibusters --

How many would have impacted employment? I don't know, look thru, I suspect you could find quite a few.
Nope.. bad filter because according to your link, there were 3660 filibusters in 2008 and 3270, but we know that to be incorrect..

Old 05-08-2010, 02:15 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Well of course he didn't veto nearly as many bills. Congress was the same as his party more than the others. Point being that along with the slim majority and the filibuster use of the GOP didn't leave the Dems with any actual power in 07 and 08, Bush and the GOP still got everything they wanted
Gosh, will you ever get anything right?

Reagan had a democrat congress through both terms. Bush I as well.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:29 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Hilarious!! How many of those in the first link were filibusters?

Did you even bother to look at your links?

Try again.
Considering the Republicans set a new record, by a long, for filibusters, I find it amusing that some people deny the that was the tactic.

Republican Obstructionism Breaks Congressional Record (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/12/20/republican-obstructionism_n_77704.html - broken link)

Senate tied in knots by filibusters | McClatchy

Cloture and filibusters in the U.S. Congress - SourceWatch

Do the work, if you want to know. But, it is apparent, you don't want to know, or acknowledge.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Considering the Republicans set a new record, by a long, for filibusters, I find it amusing that some people deny the that was the tactic.

Republican Obstructionism Breaks Congressional Record (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/12/20/republican-obstructionism_n_77704.html - broken link)

Senate tied in knots by filibusters | McClatchy

Cloture and filibusters in the U.S. Congress - SourceWatch
I know all about them setting records, the question is, what ones resulted in contributing to the unemployment numbers..
Quote:
Do the work, if you want to know. But, it is apparent, you don't want to know, or acknowledge.
Its Democrats who blamed filibusters for the unemployment numbers, so its Democrats who need to validate the accusation by listing the ones that contributed to unemployment. I note the lack of a response with any such list...

Old 05-08-2010, 07:47 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
This whole thread is in regards to "290K jobs created" while discrediting the fact that the unemployment % went up as meaningless.. Are you following along with the same thread as the rest of us?

See where you liberals get the issue wrong, is you assume that everytime someone points out facts, that its an attack Obama stance, and you guys have to go on the offense, even though there was no blame being pointed. Its a FACT that unemployment rate increased, its a FACT that we have ALWAYS looked at the unemployment rate as an indicator for the economy. Its a FACT that the increase began when Democrats took over Congress and started writing all sorts of anti business bills which pushed the economy off the cliff.

You dont get to begin to pick and choose data, while ignoring other data just because "your man" says its what counts. The ONLY figure which has EVER mattered is the unemployment graph, and if you think otherwise, then find me ONE graph showing me the NUMBER OF JOBS created during the Bush years... I challenge you. All of these "new" job graphs judging "number of jobs created" were NEVER found prior to this administration because they NEVER COUNTED. Again, the ONLY COUNT ever which mattered was the unemployment graph.. PERIOD!!
It's astounding what you're not grasping. Every newspaper or online journalistic article I've read - including The Wall Street Journal - said that the unemployment rate went up because peopile were inspired to start looking for work again since the economy is creating jobs.

That's it. That's all. Spin it any way you want to defend your ideology, but the world isn't black and white. Sometimes, the unemployment rate ticks up temporarily as yet another sign of recovery. And, I most certainly did hear all about number of jobs lost during the collapse under Bush in 07-08. It was headline news.

Before you respond with the same tripe about rising unemployment rate, educate yourself about why this number is higher. You will learn quickly that I am correct.

Last edited by Bluefly; 05-08-2010 at 07:56 PM..

Old 05-08-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The politics forum is not the place to discuss finance and business. There is a forum for that and politics doesn't enter those discussions.

People post business related threads here BECAUSE they want to interject politics.

Your best bet is to skip most of the Wall Street related posts made in this forum and go over to business/finance forum to REALLY discuss what's going on in the markets with no politics entering the picture.
You missed my point entirely. I'd love to focus on politics, but the majority of posts require explaining the most basic principles of how markets work to people who are forming opinions based on false assumptions.

Just look at all these people who think the uptick of unemployment from 9.7% to 9.9% is a bad thing. It may seem that way at first blush, but an educated mind would quickly learn that the uptick is a sign of a recovering economy.

Now, the way they measure unemployment is stupid in my opinion, and people who gave up searching should still be counted, but that's for another discussion.

In the end, I need a higher level of discourse than misconstrued assumptions about economics.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
They measure by the number of people filing for unemployment.
If you've been sitting on the sidelines..were you collecting and not looking ?
If you just came back in then you cannot get unemployment so how do they get those numbers ?
How do they count people that don't check in with them (via unemployment) ?

Old 05-08-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They measure by the number of people filing for unemployment.
If you've been sitting on the sidelines..were you collecting and not looking ?
If you just came back in then you cannot get unemployment so how do they get those numbers ?
How do they count people that don't check in with them (via unemployment) ?
Like I said, I don't agree with how they measure unemployment (and they've been doing it this way long before Obama). But, the reality is that the metrics they use are consistent, so whoever's counted or not counted now is the same as before when we had 5% "unemployment" (we all know the number is actually higher, but they are consistent).

Old 05-08-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
It's astounding what you're not grasping. Every newspaper or online journalistic article I've read - including The Wall Street Journal - said that the unemployment rate went up because peopile were inspired to start looking for work again since the economy is creating jobs.

That's it. That's all. Spin it any way you want to defend your ideology, but the world isn't black and white. Sometimes, the unemployment rate ticks up temporarily as yet another sign of recovery. And, I most certainly did hear all about number of jobs lost during the collapse under Bush in 07-08. It was headline news.
What you arent grasping is that the journalists are reporting on what the ADMINISTRATION is telling them.. Its the ADMINISTRATION spinning the facts. I cant spin the unemployment numbers, I dont have the connections in Washington.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Before you respond with the same tripe about rising unemployment rate, educate yourself about why this number is higher. You will learn quickly that I am correct.
For the 4th time.. I KNOW WHY THE UNEMPLOYMENT RATE IS HIGHER.. That doesnt change the facts again, THAT THEY ARE HIGHER...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies