Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 08:39 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times

Advertisements

Interesting thread. Some of the worst anti-gun arguments I've seen on these forums. I didn't know gated communities were impervious to criminals (I have lived in several, lucky me apparently). I also didn't know that all bad situations were avoidable to the extent that firearms are totally unnecessary.

Back in the real world... I was interested that the .22 was enough of a deterrent that the bad guys hit the road. Obviously it was enough to kill one of the intruders. Not my preference for personal defense, but in a pinch it obviously gets the job done. And the bark from a .22 can be quite surprising. I doubt that many bad guys stick around to inquire about the caliber of the gun being fired at them before they decide whether to take off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 08:47 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Interesting thread. Some of the worst anti-gun arguments I've seen on these forums. I didn't know gated communities were impervious to criminals (I have lived in several, lucky me apparently). I also didn't know that all bad situations were avoidable to the extent that firearms are totally unnecessary.

Back in the real world... I was interested that the .22 was enough of a deterrent that the bad guys hit the road. Obviously it was enough to kill one of the intruders. Not my preference for personal defense, but in a pinch it obviously gets the job done. And the bark from a .22 can be quite surprising. I doubt that many bad guys stick around to inquire about the caliber of the gun being fired at them before they decide whether to take off.
A lowly little .22 handgun is actually pretty loud, and for as small as it is, it does pretty well , pound for pound. Just the mere thought that they were being shot back at was enough for these rodents to skedaddle. They were not prepared for that. They fancied themselves at the top of the food cahin because they were armed, and then reality bit them. The homeowner was fighting for his family's and his own life, and that made him a more dangerous critter than these cretins could handle.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:12 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
If you care enough to check rather than just blabber gun dogma,
workin-hard linked you to a website containing suicide statistics says that he/she has been checking. notice that you failed to link to supporting data of any kind for your claims in this post.

Quote:
you'll find that with the exception of those using guns, suicide attempts are rarely successful.
that is true. somewhere between 10-20 people attempt suicide for every one that succeeds. but that doesn't even remotely back up your next statement.

Quote:
Assuming that people who don't have guns will commit suicide by some other means is unsupportable with data,
by and large, that actually is supported by data. the very fact that millions of people across the world commit or attempt suicide with methods unrelated to firearms supports that supposition.

Quote:
but people often refuse to accept the truth.
i find it ironic that you were accusing someone else of "blabber gun dogma" earlier, when the entirety of your post is merely a partisan-polarized sound bite.

the truth is that the invention of suicide long predates the invention of firearms, and that people will use other methods if firearms are not available. in germany, where firearms are more restricted than in the US, other forms of suicide are more prevalent.

Failed suicide attempt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

despite their tendency to not use guns in suicide attempts, germans still have a suicide rate similar to the US (9.4 per 100k, as compared to 11.1 per 100k).

List of countries by suicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

though the united kingdom has a smaller overall number of suicides per capita, other methods (hanging, strangulation, suffocation, and drug poisoning) are predictably filling the void. during the 1990s, hanging, strangulation, and suffocation accounted for almost half of male suicides in england and wales.

National Statistics Online - Health Statistics Quarterly (http://www.statistics.gov.uk/CCI/article.asp?ID=1538&Pos=4&ColRank=1&Rank=176 - broken link)

what does that mean? clearly, that when firearms are not available, people do use other methods. people find the means to do what they want to. they don't all use guns, but they sure manage to keep up, don't they?

in japan, europe, and other places where guns are restricted, methods of homicide also reflect this fact: where guns are not available, other methods will be used to similar levels of success.

if someone really wants to commit homicide or suicide, the lack of a firearm is not enough of a deterrent to stop them. it happens occasionally that they will wait or abandon their plans, but usually they just find another method.

and lastly, the actual intent of the person attempting to commit suicide is a large factor in determining the success of the venture. as it turns out, death is not the only desirable outcome from a suicide attempt.

many suicide attempts boil down to bids for attention, though it cannot be stressed enough that any suicide attempts are dangerous and require serious familial and professional support.

strangely enough one study found that "suicides attempts are more likely when future income may be positively affected by the attempt, conditional on survival." if a person survives the attempt, they are statistically likely to receive compassion and care from others, and a pay raise at work.

userpages.umbc.edu/~marcotte/economics%20of%20suicide.pdf

suicide attempts for attention, compassion, and financial gain (as strange as it may seem) are less likely to be performed by firearms, trains, and other more sure ways of carrying it out. those cases are more likely to see drug overdoses (generally 97% ineffective as a method of suicide), wrist cutting, and other methods.

other interesting numbers on the subject:

The economics of suicide. - By Charles Duhigg - Slate Magazine

Suicide Statistics at Suicide.org! Suicide Statistics, Suicide Statistics, Suicide Statistics, Suicide Statistics, Suicide Statistics!

Clinical Depression, Separation Anxiety: Allan Schwartz, Ph.D.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:09 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
The existence of the Fossil Record hasn't convinced Fundie's that maybe they are backing a loser. The existence of statistics on just how useful guns are to civilians will never make believers out of people who simply want to have guns regardless of their utility. I heard some guy griping on the bus that he is being ordered to take out a million dollar liability policy on his son's pit bull. I think this is an excellent idea to apply to civilians who feel the need to bear arms.

H

Old 05-12-2010, 11:15 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post

.22 or 9mm, doesn't matter if you can't shoot straight. It appears the homeowner could shoot straight since he killed one and wounded another while under fire.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:16 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
The existence of the Fossil Record hasn't convinced Fundie's that maybe they are backing a loser. The existence of statistics on just how useful guns are to civilians will never make believers out of people who simply want to have guns regardless of their utility. I heard some guy griping on the bus that he is being ordered to take out a million dollar liability policy on his son's pit bull. I think this is an excellent idea to apply to civilians who feel the need to bear arms.

H
By that logic, take out a million dollar liability policy on your vehicle since vehicle accidents kill more people in this country than guns.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:37 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
So, for balance, are we also going to start posting every small town gun accident where a kid shoots his brother in the face with his dad's .22?
I wonder how many times people hear stories about the ones who don't become victims because it is known they are armed?

Old 05-13-2010, 07:12 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I heard some guy griping on the bus that he is being ordered to take out a million dollar liability policy on his son's pit bull. I think this is an excellent idea to apply to civilians who feel the need to bear arms.
If you leave a pit bull sitting on the front porch, unrestrained, it can decide on its own to go out in the street and attack people randomly. Do the same with a gun and it will just stay were you left it.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:16 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,818 times
This horrible man should have contacted a community organizer to come and council these poor misunderstood unfortunates. Had he tried empathy and understanding he could have understood where they were coming from.

Hopefully, the homeowner will be prosecuted and incarcerated. While improsoned he should be subject to manditory diversity training.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
While I prefer weapons similar to what I used in "Nam, I would be able to defend myself and family with a .22 pistol. At the ranges involved a head is a pretty big target.

I think the families of the unfortunates should be contacted and then sued for creating such stupid childern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies