Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 07:59 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times

Advertisements

http://www.citizentribune.com/news/view_sections.asp?idcategory=47&idarticle=15175 (broken link)
woman acted as a decoy for a home invasion robbery attempt. The two men had assault weapons. The home owner had a .22 hand gun. The home owner killed the woman and injured one of the two shooters. The home owner and his family were not shot even though the robbers were firing the assault weapons. One of the two men was found in a hospital and is now under arrest with police guard as he recovers from his injury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 09:10 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
As I learned in a recent self defense handgun class, the bad guys are only accurate with 8% of their shots fired. Sounds like these guys are just average. Also, a .22 is better than nothing at all.

But - 1. The wife is a probation officer. She deals with criminals on a daily basis. The family should have been more prepared than a .22 pistol. 2. As much as I admire them for helping by hosting foster kids, the missing one may have cased the house and be the "master-mind" behind the robbery. 3. Being on a TV reality show is a violation of OPSEC in my opinion. You are letting the world case your house.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:22 AM

296 posts, read 273,513 times
First off, great that someone defended their property and at least one more bad person is no longer amongst us. However, this writer should be ashamed of himself for leaving out so many details. What exactly were these "assault rifles"? I hate that term and it is often abused. They recovered 11-13 shell casings? That's a range of numbers and leads one to believe whomever counted them is incompetent since they can't even come up with one specific number. If this "assault rifle" was an AK or AR (commonly associated with that stupid term), then why so few casings? I can get 11-13 rounds out of my AK in a couple seconds and at least two of those casings had to be from the victim's weapon.
Anyhow, I am glad the good people won this battle and hopefully this writer learns to write better in the future.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Anyone that has actually fired an assault weapon on full auto has realized that hitting what you want with one of these things is not as easy as it looks on TV.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:25 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
So, for balance, are we also going to start posting every small town gun accident where a kid shoots his brother in the face with his dad's .22?

Old 05-10-2010, 09:31 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
So, for balance, are we also going to start posting every small town gun accident where a kid shoots his brother in the face with his dad's .22?
Those are covered - quite cheerfully and extensively - by every major media outlet, as well as being paraded around by the likes of those who would exploit such a tragedy to simply try to win an argument on an Internet forum.

So no, you won't see those stories in this thread. This is a thread about a SINGLE incident in which the bad guys got what they earned, and the good guys survived to tell their tale. If you wish to discuss something else, find another thread or start one of your own.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:34 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,095,507 times
Wow. What a horribly written article. Glad the homeowners were able to protect themselves, glad that one of the bad guys were caught when they went to the hospital. As for the woman, well she was willing to let her accomplices use guns she should have known she could get shot. She will have to answer for her deeds.

As for the balance...don't people already post every small town accident where someone shoots someone else with an unsecured weapon?

Old 05-10-2010, 09:49 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,688 times
Well, lets see what anti gun people have to say about this one. One for the good guys!!!

Old 05-10-2010, 09:55 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Wow. What a horribly written article. Glad the homeowners were able to protect themselves, glad that one of the bad guys were caught when they went to the hospital. As for the woman, well she was willing to let her accomplices use guns she should have known she could get shot. She will have to answer for her deeds.

As for the balance...don't people already post every small town accident where someone shoots someone else with an unsecured weapon?
Hmmmm. I haven't even read the article (link doesn't work for me) but the consensus here is that it smells. Is it even true? Reality TV is involved? Does 'balloon boy' tickle any memory cells? Was this something staged that got out of hand? And, no, every gun accident is not grabbed by the media. I personally know of a couple that didn't get national, or even local, coverage. Handguns are a social menace. I do not want to live in an America where people like... ... some of you here, can carry, concealed or otherwise. Sheesh, most of you probably already carry, that's why you can be so aggressively partisan. Guns definitely reinforce the inbuilt urge to think every other human being on the planet is scum out to get you and assign a point system of risk starting with one's spouse and working down from there.

H

Old 05-10-2010, 10:06 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Guns definitely reinforce the inbuilt urge to think every other human being on the planet is scum out to get you and assign a point system of risk starting with one's spouse and working down from there.
Stereotype much?

People that have obtained their CCWs are regular, responsible people. They have kids, jobs, houses. They pay their bills. They're just like you, but they've chosen to exercise an opportunity that you haven't - even though that same opportunity is available to you.

Do you have a life insurance policy that you've independently shopped for and purchased? Do you view those that have made a decision in the other direction with the same disdain that you obviously have for CCW holders?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies