Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 02:13 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
The back up procedures in place were not adequate to stop this disaster, when clearly they should have been. They were warned in 2004 and said they were on top of the problem. L-A-C-K of E-N-F-O-R-C-E-M-E-N-T.

Yeeessss, I read your post, and responded in kid (reference the first paragraph)
I see, soory if I took it out of context.

Yes, I'll agree that lack of enforcement may have lead to the accident. But I'm still confused, how could they get a safety award in 2009, if there safety devices were insufficient? If you are correct, we not only are not enforcing our regulations, they are being ignored completely.

Getting back to my point though, which applies regardless as to what caused the spill. Our government does not seem to have had a proper plan to respond to the spill, to contain the spill, nor how to moderate the spill. Its like we are learning as we go, and the politicians are blaming as we go.

Why doesn't our government have a proper response plan in effect to protect our states, and coastal waters, from an oil spill like this? It seems like a no brainer. We have deep water oil rigs, did no one ever ask, what happens if it blows up and sinks, either from natural events, sabotage, or negligence? Winging it does not seem to be working, neither is asking the oil company to invent cool new ideas on the fly. Seems like we just never bothered, because the last accident was way back in 1969, and we thought our safety devices were good enough, and as you have pointed out, we did not even think they were good enough in this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 02:15 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
My point is - if a company cannot afford to renovate to accomodate the handicapped, let them find another place to conduct business or to find a place of employment. We have plenty to go around. Don't fine a company for not complying. That is just stupid. If a company feels that they will lose more money than the cost of the renovation, then they will renovate. Good grief. When will we stop being to stupid.
That's what Rand Paul is saying: dont hire the handicapped, they cost money.

"We have plenty to go around" -- what, jobs for the handicapped, in a Rand Paulian atmosphere such as yours?

Is this Rand Paul posting?

Old 05-21-2010, 02:17 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I see, soory if I took it out of context.

Yes, I'll agree that lack of enforcement may have lead to the accident. But I'm still confused, how could they get a safety award in 2009, if there safety devices were insufficient? If you are correct, we not only are not enforcing our regulations, they are being ignored completely.

Getting back to my point though, which applies regardless as to what caused the spill. Our government does not seem to have had a proper plan to respond to the spill, to contain the spill, nor how to moderate the spill. Its like we are learning as we go, and the politicians are blaming as we go.

Why doesn't our government have a proper response plan in effect to protect our states, and coastal waters, from an oil spill like this? It seems like a no brainer. We have deep water oil rigs, did no one ever ask, what happens if it blows up and sinks, either from natural events, sabotage, or negligence? Winging it does not seem to be working, neither is asking the oil company to invent cool new ideas on the fly.

DING DING DING give that person a cigar...Exactly. On the nose. From the first oil rig that went up in the gulf, procedures should have been in place, not only by the oil companies, but by the feds, to respond to and contain this kind of disaster.

They weren't, and we are witness to the consequences.

Why do you think BP donated to both sides of the aisle...they were hedging their bets.

Rand Paul says Obama is putting a boot heel on BP's neck..I'd like to put a boot up their a$$.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:20 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,432,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
The Associated Press: Rand Paul: Obama's criticism of BP 'un-American'

Un-American? Are you kidding me?! When they can make a profit off the oil, the oil is THEIRS. When they spill it, it's a public problem. Honestly, I'm pissed Obama hasn't been MORE aggressive. There should be subpoenas and warrants and BP execs in jail. They've been dragging their heels on this for a month now.
It's "un-American" to criticize British Petroleum?

Perhaps Paul should take his BS across the water..

Old 05-21-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Our government does not seem to have had a proper plan to respond to the spill, to contain the spill, nor how to moderate the spill. Its like we are learning as we go, and the politicians are blaming as we go.

Why doesn't our government have a proper response plan in effect to protect our states, and coastal waters, from an oil spill like this?
So when the chips are down you LIKE government intervention? You WANT government intervention and regulation and rules that restrict businesses which pass their costs on to the hapless taxpayer?

Old 05-21-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Sure, dude, sure.

Is it pretty there in lala land, where everybody has two good legs to run around on?
What if the building is older then the law, and installing an elevator would bankrupt the company? Sometimes their are jobs that not everyone can do, there should be a reasonable attempt to comply, not a mandatory compliance.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:21 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,762,489 times
Never been a fan of the pauls or the teabaggers

Old 05-21-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Come to find out, when the chips are down you LIKE government intervention? You WANT government intervention and regulation and rules restricting businesses?

Could you elaborate?

Old 05-21-2010, 02:22 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
That's what Rand Paul is saying: dont hire the handicapped, they cost money.

"We have plenty to go around" -- what, jobs for the handicapped, in a Rand Paulian atmosphere such as yours?

Is this Rand Paul posting?

Those darned handicapped people. How DARE they want to have access? Let them wheel themselves all over Bum F*** Egypt to find a place to do business.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Could you elaborate?
I did, after you quoted this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies