Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 11:46 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,867,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
so you agree they did not stop the toxic sheet rock from coming into the country.
How do you know it entered from somewhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 11:52 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,692,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I wonder how Paul feels about the federal involvement in food safety inspections...

More the likely doesnt think the federal government should tell everyone "what is safe"

Any chance a several private groups could do it?
We still get sick from foods and safety practices would come into place even with the federal government because of lawsuits and possible deaths from bad foods etc.

Not saying you cant have the federal government doing it..after all they can be paid off just like anyone else.

In fact what would be so bad about 2 systems :-)

Old 05-21-2010, 12:08 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,692,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Rand Paul's defense of BP is raising eyebrows, much like his stance on civil rights and private business. His statement that "sometimes accidents just happen" simplifies a larger problem with giving big oil a pass in regulations and safety precautions.

Maybe he shoudl explain his "Accidents happen" theory to the people in LA and FL, who will be cleaning up this mess for decades.

washingtonpost.com (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/21/AR2010052101452.html - broken link)

Rand Paul: Obama's criticism of BP 'un-American'

WASHINGTON -- Taking another unconventional stand, Kentucky's Republican Senate nominee Rand Paul criticized President Barack Obama's handling of the Gulf oil spill Friday as putting "his boot heel on the throat of BP" and "really un-American."

Paul's defense of the oil company came during an interview as he tried to explain his controversial take on civil rights law, an issue that has overtaken his campaign since his victory in Tuesday's GOP primary.

Oil companies have been waiting to drill IN LAND but liberals put a end to that a long time ago. Forced them further OUT TO SEA.... I wonder what would be easier to contain, land or WATER!!!
Oil Spills will happen and I think BP should be responsible by keep in mind the millions of oil that pump without issues all day 365 days a year. I think overall the record shows clean and responsible actions on the OIL companies considering the amount of volume and what they produce. Are you telling me Government has no Accidents. If anything they cover them up. Is it Un-American of Obama? After all America has been supplying Obama's cars, homes etc with oil for a long time Obama doesnt complain then. Lets not forget the HUGE tax on GAS from the United States government which is willing to supply its "energy policy" and tax the company the tax payer who drives to work to get a paycheck which then is taxed AGAIN!
So from a stand point I would say production is taxed and that is more likely un-american.
Oil spills are terrible and even if we had "alt" energy I wonder what the bi-product would be and if it would have any accidents. Of course we dont have a ALT energy and reality so I think people are dreaming and not living in reality.
After all just think of the OIL needed to run those tanks, airplines in IRAQ and around the world and gas in Air Force One. :-) I think many Obama should walk everywhere and stop using energy to tell everyone how terrible BP is. Who is cleaning up and working to resolve it... BP!

Old 05-21-2010, 12:13 PM

38,111 posts, read 22,253,980 times
Quote:
Did you?

It was a methane bubble. Intersting that all of those back up systems, including the deadman, did not work.

Oh, wait, the oil industry promised the regulators back in oh, say 2004, that they were "on top of the problem" when warned by the federal regulators their backup systems would NOT WORK IN DEEP WATER.

But, then, accidents do happen. ooops, BP, don't let it happen again. Time out for you.

Again, dangerously naive.
I'm not taking any sides, so why are you treating me like the enemy? Do you think I want more oil rig disasters, more deaths, more polluted shorelines?

There has not been an investigation into what caused the BP oil rig explosion yet, so how can anyone place blame?

If the systems "would NOT WORK IN DEEP WATER" then wouldn't the oil rig would have failed the inspections performed by the federal government Mineral Management Service? FWIW, the scheduled federal inspections for that oil rig were not being done as required. So we may not know if there were problems with the rig that we may have spotted a few months before.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:16 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,142,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Oil companies have been waiting to drill IN LAND but liberals put a end to that a long time ago. Forced them further OUT TO SEA.... I wonder what would be easier to contain, land or WATER!!!
Oil Spills will happen and I think BP should be responsible by keep in mind the millions of oil that pump without issues all day 365 days a year. I think overall the record shows clean and responsible actions on the OIL companies considering the amount of volume and what they produce. Are you telling me Government has no Accidents. If anything they cover them up. Is it Un-American of Obama? After all America has been supplying Obama's cars, homes etc with oil for a long time Obama doesnt complain then. Lets not forget the HUGE tax on GAS from the United States government which is willing to supply its "energy policy" and tax the company the tax payer who drives to work to get a paycheck which then is taxed AGAIN!
So from a stand point I would say production is taxed and that is more likely un-american.
Oil spills are terrible and even if we had "alt" energy I wonder what the bi-product would be and if it would have any accidents. Of course we dont have a ALT energy and reality so I think people are dreaming and not living in reality.
After all just think of the OIL needed to run those tanks, airplines in IRAQ and around the world and gas in Air Force One. :-) I think many Obama should walk everywhere and stop using energy to tell everyone how terrible BP is. Who is cleaning up and working to resolve it... BP!
Give me a break, here. Oil companies were warned by regulators in 2004 their backups were inadequate in deep water. Oil said "we're on top of the problem." and did....nothing.

The gulf is toast.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:22 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,116,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Oil companies have been waiting to drill IN LAND but liberals put a end to that a long time ago.
What form of idiocy is this?

State Oil and Gas Regulators Are Spread Too Thin to Do Their Jobs - ProPublica

I really wish you folks would spend a few seconds Googling your delusions before posting, it would save me precious seconds debunking them.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:25 PM

38,111 posts, read 22,253,980 times
Quote:
Give me a break, here. Oil companies were warned by regulators in 2004 their backups were inadequate in deep water. Oil said "we're on top of the problem." and did....nothing.

The gulf is toast.
If they were inadequate then how do they pass inspection? Do we just keep giving them the same warnings 12 times a year, and even hand out safety awards in 2009 for being "inadequate"?

Old 05-21-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I'm not taking any sides, so why are you treating me like the enemy? do you think I want more oil rif disasters, more deaths, more polluted shorelines?

There has not been an investigation into what caused the BP oil rig explosion yet, so how can anyone place blame?

If the systems "would NOT WORK IN DEEP WATER" then wouldn't the oil rig would have failed the inspections performed by the federal government Mineral Management Service? FWIW, the scheduled federal inspections for that oil rig were not being done as required. So we may not know if there were problems with the rig that we may have spotted a few months before.

The problem, here is the MMS, and regulatory agencies not doing their jobs for a long, long time. It was a live and let live attitude that lead up to this. The back up systems didn't work, as warned in 2004. You don't just regulate, you enforce, and enforcement didn't happen. Oil continues to gush into the gulf, and it is now in the loop current. It's made landfall in the marshes of LA, south east Florida is next. The spill is big enough to render 19% of the gulf banned from fishing.

BP, meanwhile continues to flail around and offer failed attempt after failed attempt to stop the oil.

IMHO, Obama hasn't been tough enough on these goobers.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
If they were inadequate then how do they pass inspection? Do we just keep giving them the same warnings 12 times a year, and even hand out safety awards in 2009 for being "inadequate"?

Soooo, the backup systems worked?

Wow, I'd hate to see what happens if they didn't.

Last edited by carterstamp; 05-21-2010 at 12:48 PM..

Old 05-21-2010, 12:30 PM

683 posts, read 429,887 times
Quote:
BP, meanwhile continues to flail around and offer failed attempt after failed attempt to stop the oil.
Do you honestly believe that they aren't doing everything they can to stop this well? Seriously, you can argue all day about what caused it but why on earth would BP not want to stop this leak ASAP? Give me one reason why they would want to "flail around" and not get this stopped?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies