Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 07:53 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,090 times

Advertisements

Having realized that his increasingly bizarre and ignorant statements have gone beyond the fringe groups where he is comfortable, Paul has backed out of his scheduled appearance on Sunday's Meet the Press TV program where he would have likely taken questions from intelligent journalists.

Tea Party pol Rand Paul bails on 'Meet the Press' after flak for dissing Obama's BP tough talk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 08:17 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I am suprised at the childish responses of liberals to this oil spill. Face the facts-

1. Energy is dirty
2. There is no such thing as completely clean energy on a large scale at this time (even wind has noise and visual "pollution" and there are suits regarding this.
3. Oil, coal, and natural gas are our main sources of energy
4. The left opposes nuclear and drilling on land in ANWAR
5. Given the opposition to ANWAR drilling and refusal to expand nuclear and coal production (the only viable alternatives at this time), offshore drilling is essential.
6. If one does not want offshore spills, one does not want offshore drilling, and this wants astronomical increases in gasoline and energy prices
7. Liberals will be the first to complain about increased prices if offshore drilling was suspended.
We're not saying even to suspend the offshore drilling permanently.

We're saying to suspend it until oil companies GET A CLUE and DEVELOP A WORKABLE CONTINGENCY PLAN for when things go wrong - BEFORE they go wrong. You know, actual technologies that are likely to work for the depth and size of the drilling they're doing would be nice. Not this hokey pokey "let's try a little bit of this; let's try a little bit of that" approach they're jacking around with now.

I don't think we're being too hard on BP at all. "Ohhh we're putting our boot on their throat." Excuse me, do you know how many billions BP and the oil industry gets in tax breaks and incentives to drill? They get tons of government support.

They basically had NO plan for a well at that depth. Mistakes don't "just happen"; mistakes happen when people F up and don't have a Plan B.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:19 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I am suprised at the childish responses of liberals to this oil spill. Face the facts-

1. Energy is dirty
2. There is no such thing as completely clean energy on a large scale at this time (even wind has noise and visual "pollution" and there are suits regarding this.
3. Oil, coal, and natural gas are our main sources of energy
4. The left opposes nuclear and drilling on land in ANWAR
5. Given the opposition to ANWAR drilling and refusal to expand nuclear and coal production (the only viable alternatives at this time), offshore drilling is essential.
6. If one does not want offshore spills, one does not want offshore drilling, and this wants astronomical increases in gasoline and energy prices
7. Liberals will be the first to complain about increased prices if offshore drilling was suspended.
I wish I could say that I am surprised by your response...however I am not...not surprised...but saddened that anybody could make excuses for what has taken place.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:01 PM

191 posts, read 143,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Rand Paul on Gulf spill: "Accidents happen" | Naked Politics

I think it's part of this sort of blame-game society in the sense that it's always got to be somebody's fault instead of the fact that maybe sometimes accidents happen,' Paul said."

The BP natural disaster is a man made accident that could've been prevented. Ron Paul is the "accident that happened".

So are you saying accidents dont happen?

Old 05-21-2010, 10:21 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
I wish I could say that I am surprised by your response...however I am not...not surprised...but saddened that anybody could make excuses for what has taken place.

Live in a tent. Ride a bike to work. Burn wood and dung for fuel. Then you will not he a hypocrite.

Energy is dirty. Accept that fact or refuse to use energy. Liberal whining about complications of energy prodiction are priceless, as they offer no alternatives, but just love to complain.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:26 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesFanMan View Post
So are you saying accidents dont happen?
They should not happen. And making excuses, when they do, definitely shouldn't. It gets in the way to holding people accountable.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:29 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Rand Paul on Gulf spill: "Accidents happen" | Naked Politics

I think it's part of this sort of blame-game society in the sense that it's always got to be somebody's fault instead of the fact that maybe sometimes accidents happen,' Paul said."

The BP natural disaster is a man made accident that could've been prevented. Ron Paul is the "accident that happened".
Now if they can just elect a few dozen more, just like this one....

Old 05-21-2010, 10:33 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
..One has to wonder where we would be right now if the space shuttle program had been canceled following the Challenger disaster. Accidents happen you know. And whether it is a faulty o-ring or a failed BOP, you should work toward correcting the problem and move on. Shyt happens.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:36 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
..One has to wonder where we would be right now if the space shuttle program had been canceled following the Challenger disaster. Accidents happen you know. And whether it is a faulty o-ring or a failed BOP, you should work toward correcting the problem and move on. Shyt happens.
The point is, Rand Paul would protect these businesses at your expense, frankie117. He said the same thing about the mining disasters in his state: "Accidents happen." Well, shrug. The mining operators are happy to hear that, but are you... really?

Even sarah palin is insisting these oil companies pay.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:40 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Rand Paul has become a walking\ talking disaster for the GOP. Too bad because a lot of people like his father. Maybe the younger Paul could learn something from his dad. Keep your private fantasies to yourself. The perfect world of libertarianism ultimately doesn't work. Rand Paul is a novice and may recover but Kentucky will go Democratic as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies