Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 06:02 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,076,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I really like him, too. He isn't the most attractive guy in the political sandbox but he was very blunt with the media when he said the voters elected him to do certain things and he's doing what he said he would do so quit whining. He may not have enough governor years under his belt by 2012 but he's a do-er and so far, my idea of future President material.
False

Chris Christie's broken promises: Number whatever | NJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 06:05 AM

He also said in his first year he'd "Cut taxes across the board"

False.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:08 AM

7,934 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
The study was done by the office and revenue and finance for New Jersey.
How did they figure the % of net tax which looks at income and property tax? How can they determine where every millionaire lives, what their property tax increase will be, what % their school tax will go up by, etc?

Bottom line is NJ is screwed just as my state NY because of uncontrolled spending for many years. Guess what? Taxes will have to be increased and services will have to be cut. THose millionaires figures in the study show that they will pay over 121K in state/local taxes for the year. I think that is a pretty substantial amount of money, don't you?

Where is the CWA's response on trying to help cut the deficit? Will their members pay more towards health insurance to reduce costs for the state? How about switching from defined pension to 403b with a great match? THat would save the state and all taxpayers a great deal of money.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:17 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,904 times
Why would the state give Property tax rebates when they are running a deficit?Why should it be up to upper income people only to bail the state out?
I have to admit I was wrong about Christie,I thought he would be moderate instead of conservative,I hope he sticks to his guns.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
How did they figure the % of net tax which looks at income and property tax? How can they determine where every millionaire lives, what their property tax increase will be, what % their school tax will go up by, etc?

Bottom line is NJ is screwed just as my state NY because of uncontrolled spending for many years. Guess what? Taxes will have to be increased and services will have to be cut. THose millionaires figures in the study show that they will pay over 121K in state/local taxes for the year. I think that is a pretty substantial amount of money, don't you?

Where is the CWA's response on trying to help cut the deficit? Will their members pay more towards health insurance to reduce costs for the state? How about switching from defined pension to 403b with a great match? THat would save the state and all taxpayers a great deal of money.
The issue is who is being taxed. Christie has blatantly taken from the middle class in the form of this tax increase as well as his public school budget cuts. This bridge is going to be widened fiscally and intelligence wise. And the fact of the matter is he said he'd cut taxes across the board. He will for 1.1% of Jersey. I don't see why millionaires should be exempt. They should have to pay a fair share of taxes like I do.

As for defecit problems, I believe in taxing everyone. A person's income should not be an immunity from paying taxes. I also believe some public utilities should be cut. But not education. Christie is a rich man's Republican whom knows no one he's in touch with will suffer, but still the working class with children in public schools will.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reid_g View Post
Why would the state give Property tax rebates when they are running a deficit?Why should it be up to upper income people only to bail the state out?
I have to admit I was wrong about Christie,I thought he would be moderate instead of conservative,I hope he sticks to his guns.
I didn't say it should be. Everyone should have to pay a fair share.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:27 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,875 times
Quote:
And Christie has cut education to new levels here in Jersey. If he wants to cut some things, I'm fine. But education is the last thing that should be cut. This state used to have some of the best public schools in the nation. Don't see that no longer thanks to Christie. He knows him and his cronies can afford to send their kids to private schools, so they can get an education and a job. Meanwhile working class families with children in public schools are getting shafted big time.
Amazing! Christie has been in office less than a year and the state has already gone from having some of the best schools in the nation to an inferior school system. This guy works fast!

Old 05-25-2010, 06:53 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
And 98.9% of New Jersey residents are going to see their taxes raised as a result of this.
Well that's not true. If taxes go up blame your municipality. It has been well documented that the wealthy are fleeing the state because of taxes. It dosnt make sense to chase away the people who pay the most tax.

Nj has the second highest tax burden in the country. Our problem isn't we tax too little. Our problem is we spend too much.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:55 AM

7,934 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Quote:
The issue is who is being taxed. Christie has blatantly taken from the middle class in the form of this tax increase as well as his public school budget cuts. This bridge is going to be widened fiscally and intelligence wise. And the fact of the matter is he said he'd cut taxes across the board. He will for 1.1% of Jersey. I don't see why millionaires should be exempt. They should have to pay a fair share of taxes like I do.

As for defecit problems, I believe in taxing everyone. A person's income should not be an immunity from paying taxes. I also believe some public utilities should be cut. But not education. Christie is a rich man's Republican whom knows no one he's in touch with will suffer, but still the working class with children in public schools will.
The rich are still paying taxes. They are paying the same % as everyone else at least. Go after the illegals, the EIC crowd, etc. They are the only ones not paying taxes.

In terms of education, does it matter which pocket you pay your tax from local (school district) or state? If the state gives a lot of state aid, guess what YOU paid for it. The "state" is you. I look at the paltry % of state aid that goes to my LI schools and realize that I basically am paying my state taxes to pay for someone else's school. I am part of a very working class district, yet we pay a lot more than we get back in terms of aid. Seems like the smarter solution would be to pay more local tax and less state tax.

When I get to vote for my local school taxes, I routinely hear that the budget doesn't have flexibility because over 87% of it is mandated for salaries/benefits. So state aid is being used to artificially maintain salaries/benefits that are too high for the local populace to pay. So if only 13% of aid/taxes goes to the kids' programs forgive me if I snicker when I hear how the kids will suffer. They already are due to the burdensome labor contracts.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:57 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Christie has blatantly taken from the middle class in the form of this tax increase as well as his public school budget cuts.
He hasn't raised taxes - that's just spin from the democrats.

It is a FACT the teacher's union, basically ALl public sector employees, have become a bloated leech by expanding disproportionately while the private sector and economy have been shrinking, drastically.

Let's not even talk about their lavish, ridiculous, greedy compensation, benefits and pensions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies