Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 02:41 PM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
RAND Paul.
And libertarians never seem to realize that governing is more than an intellectual exercise and that businesses almost never self-regulate.
That's why libertarians are rarely elected and then do poorly at governing when they are.

i believe Rand Paul is a Rebublican. not that it makes any difference, it's his views, the party is just along for the ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 02:51 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
It does seem like another country down there. They might as well.
Yes, we are like another country. That country would be the United States of America. I don't know what country the other states pattern themselves after but many are beginning to look and act like third world countries.

I was thinking the other day and came to the realization that the rural south is more like the original states and the rest of the country just seems lost and corrupt.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:01 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
RAND Paul.
And libertarians never seem to realize that governing is more than an intellectual exercise and that businesses almost never self-regulate.
That's why libertarians are rarely elected and then do poorly at governing when they are.

Kentucky Libertarians May Field New Candidate: Rand Paul Betrayed Our Values

The reason why we would even consider running somebody in this race is because we're not going to let Rand determine what a Libertarian stands for," he said. "I'm here to say Rand does not have the Libertarian ideology."

The Libertarian Party of Kentucky condemned Paul Tuesday for what it said were his "hurtful comments."

"Rand Paul's statements regarding all forms of discrimination are not consistent with, nor do they reflect the views of, the Libertarian Party of Kentucky," said K. Joshua Koch, vice chair of the state party, in a news release.

Paul is not a libertarian, Koch said. "There are clear differences between the Libertarian Party, including the philosophy upon which it is based, and the philosophy and campaign rhetoric of Rand Paul," he said.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:27 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Frank DeForrest !!! ... Excellent Job !

How refreshing and exciting it truly is to hear of such "Proud" Americans as Ron as they express great statements of common sense and pronounce most accurate assesments regarding many of our extremely questionable and in many cases "dopey" laws and policies !

Well said indeed ..... Ron Paul !

Perhaps more Ron Paul types will soon arise on the scene to provide the necessary initiative for a most resolute change in some of these rather
disturbing "Special Interest" type programs ..... or the so called 1964 Act or what the Sam Hill ever some people may call it !!!!!

Thanks again to the really smart "Career Politician" crew and all the other special folks involved in providing this miraculous "Act" of 64 !

"America These Days" .......... Where in the Heck did it go anyway !

Thanks / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 05-26-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
This true and I can see why we have no white people in the NAACP right I'm sure equally opporunity on that board of directors its there.
Are you saying private companies and org would discrimate against people even today based on color?

Why stop there.... we have no woman in the NFL or Major League baseball.
They set the rules or should the civil rights act apply to these Private businesses.

I think what Rand Paul is saying from a FEDERAL GOVERNMENT STAND POINT they have no business in Private matters. The civil rights act that stop segregation in public is one thing but laws for private business shouldnt apply. Keep in mind Government created the laws to begin with not businesses!!!!! Most businesses would have been happy to just serve everyone and make more money. It was goverment not completely private businesses that cared about racial segregation!!! If anything some businesses might have Lobbied for segregation but that is not the role of GOVERNMENT!

Racial segregation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Example if a resturant didnt care what color you were and served you, that business would do better then the one that only served some people based on race or lets just say SMOKING was allow or not allowed.
That resturant who could bring in more customers with less restrictions.
Most laws that a pasted are usually to create "fairness" or social controls to keep everyone in policy.

That is not freedom and it was government that create the segregation laws to begin with. Rand Paul would have voted for the public right not the private one. If you think its wrong complain to the NACCP and the NFL then they are siding with RAND PAUL and dont even know it. The NACCP is complaining yet they are using private ownership as a reason not to hire white people.
LibertyandJusticforAll !!! ... Bravo !

Old 05-26-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfles View Post
At least the people in the south are nicer and more hospitable than the jerks in the north east where I live.
Hey murfles !!! ... Agreed !

The South is a damn great place in most every respect !

If only some of our good old CDF buddies would come for a visit this Summer ..... Now that would be just fine !

Thanks / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 05-26-2010, 03:44 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post

Perhaps more Ron Paul types will soon arise on the scene to provide the necessary initiative for a most resolute change in some of these rather
disturbing "Special Interest" type programs ..... or the so called 1964 Act or what the Sam Hill ever some people may call it !!!!!
The ignorance contained within that statement is simply astounding. You would think that some people on this thread have lived in some antebellum time capsule for the last 45 years.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:09 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You don't understand what the difference in public and the difference in private, property.

Who owns the property? The Government?

Ron Paul has it right. The way the Constitution wanted people to remain free of government rule.

In other words, you liked things the way they were pre-1954.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:11 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

In other words, you liked things the way they were pre-1954.
delusianne, i enjoy reading the majority of your posts...being an open minded person allows me to listen/read other people's views with out making silly assumptions.

in this case, i'm dissappointed with the assumption you're making. to assume that this person you're quoting likes the way things were "pre-1954" is not only silly, but provocative. it's easy for me to understand where a person is coming from when they debate a portion of the CRA, with out assuming they are racist, or pro-discrimination.

instead, open your mind to the slightest possibility that there are other ways to battle discrimination with out the use of the Federal Gov't.

and trust me, this goes for both sides...as i've stated before, i completely understand the fear of what would happen if the CRA never happened, or if for some reason it was appealed.

in most cases, the best way to predict the future is to study the past...and while studying the past, as it was pre-1964, one could assume that life would revert to rampid discrimination. instead, how bout we study the past as it started in 1964? people have made huge strides in racial harmony, and anti-discrimination...it would seem to me there's much to attribute to this by looking at the majority of American's who were born since 1964, and know nothing but a diverse America. i would bet there's far more American's these days that would push the beliefs behind the CRA with out the actual Act being enforced, vs. the American's who are living in the past, as it was pre-1964.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:23 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
delusianne, i enjoy reading the majority of your posts...being an open minded person allows me to listen/read other people's views with out making silly assumptions.

in this case, i'm dissappointed with the assumption you're making. to assume that this person you're quoting likes the way things were "pre-1954" is not only silly, but provocative. it's easy for me to understand where a person is coming from when they debate a portion of the CRA, with out assuming they are racist, or pro-discrimination.

instead, open your mind to the slightest possibility that there are other ways to battle discrimination with out the use of the Federal Gov't.

and trust me, this goes for both sides...as i've stated before, i completely understand the fear of what would happen if the CRA never happened, or if for some reason it was appealed.

in most cases, the best way to predict the future is to study the past...and while studying the past, as it was pre-1964, one could assume that life would revert to rampid discrimination. instead, how bout we study the past as it started in 1964? people have made huge strides in racial harmony, and anti-discrimination...it would seem to me there's much to attribute to this by looking at the majority of American's who were born since 1964, and know nothing but a diverse America. i would bet there's far more American's these days that would push the beliefs behind the CRA with out the actual Act being enforced, vs. the American's who are living in the past, as it was pre-1964.
What took it so long, that America turned a page in 1964 and not before then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies