Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 07:55 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times

Advertisements

Why would Washington issue a General Order with the words in it that this one has? I think I know but many here don't agree.

"Our own Country's Honor, all call upon us for a vigorous and manly exertion, and if we now shamefully fail, we shall become infamous to the whole world. Let us therefore rely upon the goodness of the Cause, and the aid of the supreme Being, in whose hands Victory is, to animate and encourage us to great and noble Actions - The Eyes of all our Countrymen are now upon us, and we shall have their blessings, and praises, if happily we are the instruments of saving them from the Tyranny mediated against them. Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth." --George Washington, General Orders, 1776

I took this from the Patriot Post quotes from today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 10:00 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Why would Washington issue a General Order with the words in it that this one has? I think I know but many here don't agree.

"Our own Country's Honor, all call upon us for a vigorous and manly exertion, and if we now shamefully fail, we shall become infamous to the whole world. Let us therefore rely upon the goodness of the Cause, and the aid of the supreme Being, in whose hands Victory is, to animate and encourage us to great and noble Actions - The Eyes of all our Countrymen are now upon us, and we shall have their blessings, and praises, if happily we are the instruments of saving them from the Tyranny mediated against them. Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth." --George Washington, General Orders, 1776

I took this from the Patriot Post quotes from today.

Because he was an honest man that believed in his God. He saw what assembled power did to the individual man.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:02 AM

220 posts, read 222,886 times
sorry, but it's 2010 and not 1776. Times change; people change. Your supposed god is now becoming irrelevant in today's society.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:22 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
Why?

Because he was a man of his times, and because he was indoctrinated from birth with the beliefs in god that he expresses in this, and many other, statements.

Are you suggesting that he was right? If so, how would he have come to the infallible conclusion that god was on the side of the Americans?

Furthermore, when you are confronted with a war in which the leaders of both sides claim that god is on their side (the Civil War would probably be a good example in which both sides were predominantly Christian), how would you determine which, if either side is correct?

Old 06-01-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner71 View Post
sorry, but it's 2010 and not 1776. Times change; people change. Your supposed god is now becoming irrelevant in today's society.
Explain that one to me Gunner. I put this here so lefties could attack the words of Washington as not being the words of a Christian and you tell me that Christianity is not relevant in today's society. Do you really think that there are more of you than of us? Maybe you need to take a headcount the first chance you get.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Why?

Because he was a man of his times, and because he was indoctrinated from birth with the beliefs in god that he expresses in this, and many other, statements.

Are you suggesting that he was right? If so, how would he have come to the infallible conclusion that god was on the side of the Americans?

Furthermore, when you are confronted with a war in which the leaders of both sides claim that god is on their side (the Civil War would probably be a good example in which both sides were predominantly Christian), how would you determine which, if either side is correct?
Well damme Jack, maybe you could just say that it was the winners who He sided with. In your example it was Christian on both sides and I think you might find that both sides knew that. Oh well, I won't bother you non-believers any more because you want progressive desires to do away with Christianity and are finding it tougher than you thought it might be.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:25 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
Quote:
Well damme Jack, maybe you could just say that it was the winners who He sided with. In your example it was Christian on both sides and I think you might find that both sides knew that. Oh well, I won't bother you non-believers any more because you want progressive desires to do away with Christianity and are finding it tougher than you thought it might be.
Where did I say I want to do away with Christianity? (I assume that's what you meant by the bolded text above.)

It is true that I think everyone would be better off if all religious superstitions ceased to exist. Nevertheless, for the present I'd settle for a society in which the government doesn't attempt to indoctrinate people into religious belief; in which religious beliefs and believers do not have a favored position over the rest; in which nonbelievers are not de facto barred from significant public office; and in which ritual obeisance is not required for almost all civic events.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:45 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,083,461 times
Quote:
Because he understood his audience.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Where did I say I want to do away with Christianity? (I assume that's what you meant by the bolded text above.)

It is true that I think everyone would be better off if all religious superstitions ceased to exist. Nevertheless, for the present I'd settle for a society in which the government doesn't attempt to indoctrinate people into religious belief; in which religious beliefs and believers do not have a favored position over the rest; in which nonbelievers are not de facto barred from significant public office; and in which ritual obeisance is not required for almost all civic events.
I see you feeling sorry for yourself here, Jack. Do you really think that our governement is indoctrinating and favoring Christians over the rest? Don't you see that once your kind of thinking becomes the majority the candidates of religious beliefs will be in the same shoes you think you are today. Come on and try to see that the majority still doesn't agree with progressive secularism.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Because he understood his audience.
In other words he was playing politician and knew that his soldiers were mostly Christians. Is that what you mean? He couldn't possibly have been one of those horrible things, could he?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies