Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 12:49 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
I have a life and I don't have unlimited time to spend. Most know this of others will keep their posts short and to a point.

And yes, everything is subject to interpretation. Providence, = fate, or God?

Neither do I. Christ is the Son of God. (john 3:16) "God sent not His Son to condemn the world for the world was condemned already".

I don't know who is teaching you what, but they are teaching you wrong, or you are learning it wrong...don't know which and I don't think I care which.

All can be learned by reading the Bible not by listening to those who say they have. Many preachers will regurgitate, "Milton" and call it the words from the Bible. He was a poet.
Your complaint was that none of the quotes in #208 referenced Deism, they just negatively referenced Christianity. Hence your comment about interpretation. I pointed out that the short post in #207 does directly reference Deism, and is therefore very clear on Franklin's position.

I have a life as well. While I don't share your beliefs, I do respect them. I have read the Bible, several versions in fact. And I've read parts of the Koran and the Bhagavad Gita as well. No one is teaching me wrong. Your beliefs are not "more right" than other people's beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 12:49 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,083,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
If that is because I will take the word of God as written in the Bible or spoken to me, rather than the word from people, then so be it.
Hey... you have already told us that you don't stop there, that you have personally heard the "voice of the LORD" four times. You are already well on your way to forming a new religion. What will you call it?

"Islam" is already taken, by the way.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:50 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Hey... you have already told us that you don't stop there, that you have personally heard the "voice of the LORD" four times. You are already well on your way to forming a new religion. What will you call it?

"Islam" is already taken, by the way.

Again we are off topic! and this is the last time I will post if this is the way this is going to go.

Do you realize that you do yourself a disservice when you speak about things you know nothing about?
For someone who posted that he went to college and took philosophy & humanities, you sure do not share the knowledge like that is a true statement.
THE CHRISTIAN RELIGION refresher for you.
Also I mentioned zig zigler and, well,
Quote:
After I was saved, I well remember, I was out in my swimming pool. I was looking up into the heavens. Really, I was praising God, and as I lay there I said, “God I know you put this whole big, beautiful universe together and I know that one of these days you’re going to take it down.” And at that precise moment, a star fell. God, I felt so close to, was speaking to me, “You’re absolutely right boy, and don’t you ever forget it.” And I never have. Zig Ziglar Life Story » Zig Ziglar Life Story
Get over yourself.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:00 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Benjamin Franklin as he writes, in his own words, in his autobiography:

"Some books against Deism fell into my hands; they were said to be the substance of sermons preached at Boyle's lectures. It happened that they wrought an effect on me quite contrary to what was intended by them; for the arguments of the Deists, which were quoted to be refuted, appeared to me much stronger than the refutations; in short, I soon became a thorough Deist."
Could be why he didn't want to sign the Constitution.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 06-12-2010 at 01:02 AM.. Reason: sigh, sign...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies