Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 09:58 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,120 times

Advertisements

plastic junk does not happiness make

(ancient proverb)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 11:02 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Conservatives are always preaching:
"When rich people do good, they create more jobs and the benefits trickle down"

It's obvious that internet has increased the productivity of all US companies.
Now companies using the internet can browse several competitors catalogs, make international calls using Skype, share information with thousands of workers around the World through email or servers, etc, etc.

Why didn't that "internet economic boost" trickle down to the average American man?

The Internet Economy: the World's Next Growth Engine - Businessweek.com

Now, the global economy has speeded up to Internet time. A computer manufacturer running low on chips can have a new batch delivered from half a world away without lifting a finger because a supplier's computers detected the shortage automatically. A new bit of audio software can propagate by the millions in a week. Knowledge of every sort becomes available and useful much sooner. By itself, that increases the pace of global growth and boosts efficiency. A recent study from Giga Information Group Inc. argues that the cost savings globally through business use of e-commerce will rise from from $17 billion in 1998 to $1.25 trillion in 2002, with U.S. companies reaping half the long-term benefits.
Is this question for real?
How about this;
"Can liberals explain why the earth isn't warmer, why the oceans aren't higher, why the south pole ice sheet is getting bigger?" Since I asking a stupid question I may as well move on;"Can liberals explain why we still have racism (since hundreds of laws were made to prevent it), why there are still starving children in America????"

Old 06-04-2010, 11:12 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
How's about bringing that fast internet to rural America ?

Yes I know there was plenty of stimulus money to do that. Sadly most of that money went to places that already had fast internet and not to BRING it to rural America.

America is #15 in the world regarding broadband access. We used to be #1 in the mid/late 90's.

Instead of just handing out money..the government (USDA maybe) should have had a plan to bring wireless towers to rural America and then get bids on the work.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:16 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
I believe "higher efficiency" is the better term to use than "higher productivity" in the grand scheme when it comes to interweaving the internet into business practices.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:20 AM

469 posts, read 579,222 times
Quote:
"When rich people do good, they create more jobs and the benefits trickle down". . .
Conservatives don't say this. "trickle down" is a pejorative term created by Liberals to insult "supply side economics."

Old 06-04-2010, 11:28 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
"When rich people do good, they create more jobs and the benefits trickle down"

It's obvious that internet has increased the productivity of all US companies.
Now companies using the internet can browse several competitors catalogs, make international calls using Skype, share information with thousands of workers around the World through email or servers, etc, etc.

Why didn't that "internet economic boost" trickle down to the average American man?

The Internet Economy: the World's Next Growth Engine - Businessweek.com

Now, the global economy has speeded up to Internet time. A computer manufacturer running low on chips can have a new batch delivered from half a world away without lifting a finger because a supplier's computers detected the shortage automatically. A new bit of audio software can propagate by the millions in a week. Knowledge of every sort becomes available and useful much sooner. By itself, that increases the pace of global growth and boosts efficiency. A recent study from Giga Information Group Inc. argues that the cost savings globally through business use of e-commerce will rise from from $17 billion in 1998 to $1.25 trillion in 2002, with U.S. companies reaping half the long-term benefits.

Only the government pays people to not work. If you want the money to land in your lap, waiting for someone with enough initiative to create a new Internet service to donate to your "I choose to not work" fund might be a problem. Capitalism rewards innovation and hard work. Develop a good or service these people need and you'll find yourself being trickled upon. In fact, you will become one of the tricklers.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:37 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How's about bringing that fast internet to rural America ?
In the words of Sam Kinison, "Move where the %@#%$ food is".

Old 06-04-2010, 12:21 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Conservatives are the ones that claim "Higher profits = higher wages for the middle class"

Without a doubt, internet has increased the profits of all companies in the US
Why hasn't the middle class benefitted from that?
or is their theory a made up fantasy?

First problem with profits in the US is the 35% corporate tax rate that assures money making operations and the associated jobs will be performed in low tax nations while the money losers will be performed here and in Japan. It also guarantees that price shifting will be employed to avoid our taxes. This is the reason so many international corporations pay little or no US taxes. We screw ourselves out of the revenue and the jobs by maintaining high corporate tax rates.

Another issue is the downward pressure on all wages caused by illegal immigration and free trade agreements (see NAFTA). Nothing happens in isolation. Here in the rust belt (SE Michigan), we started unbolting presses lathes and the like from factory floors right after NAFTA was signed. They went to Mexico and now China which enjoys permanent most favored nation trading status with us regardless of what they do to their people or their currency.

Pay an idiot in the UAW six figures to do little or no work and eventually his or her job will be replaced by a foreign worker elsewhere or a machine here. The days following WW2 when we were the only nation not in smoking ruins are over. We cannot do what we did and expect the same outcome. Our industries are broke because of our regulations and unions. We make few products here because tree huggers hate industry and all that supports them. Slip and fall lawyers make business in the US costly and dangerous.

Liberals simply don't get along with capitalism. Capitalism is only effective because it is, by definition, unfair.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 1,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
plastic junk does not happiness make

(ancient proverb)
Ancient, Plastic????? Try again

Old 08-25-2010, 03:00 PM

783 posts, read 2,257,863 times
"Trickle Down" economics is a term coined by that greatest of all Liberals, Ronald Reagan. In a 1981 speech he spoke of his plans having a "trickle down effect." Liberal... hah.

I don't presently earn much of a living, but what I do earn comes directly by way of the internet. Yes, I am an ebayer and I do about $100 a day just via ebay sales. I buy crap from china, repurpose it, and sell it. I'm working toward doing more business face to face, but that again comes down to chinese labor - I make jewelry and I can buy a dozen very nice cabuchons from china for what it costs me for one stone from a lapidary in the southwest. Might suck for the lapidaries in the southwest having to deal with all this new competition, but at least I'm not charging $150 or more for a necklace that cost less than $10 to fabricate - unlike those hawking trendy "designer" gemstone necklaces on HSN.

Wondering when the internet will "trickle down" to the average person is like wondering when the phone will "trickle down." By now the technology is so ingrained within our culture most people don't even realise how it affects us in our daily lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies