Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 11:18 AM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Not as it is done now.

Not the fedgov's job.
And what do you see as the fedgov's job?

Edit: That's ok if you don't respond, I'll take it that you feel defense and security (borders) are the only jobs the feds have defined for them in our constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 11:19 AM

102 posts, read 127,462 times
Quote:
Do you believe in forced giving?
Isn't that an oxymoron? If it is forced, it isn't giving.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:19 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I am sure that old car gave you a great tax deduction at a dollar amount far exceeding the value of the car. If the car was no good, why burden someone else with a dangerous car requiring expensive repairs?

Giving to the food pantry- that is great. I wish more liberals would do so. I can tell you that I never see liberals volunteering for anything in our parish. However, if there is protesting and whining to be done, you can count on them- as long as it does not require any work or money.
My father does a lot of work with Goodwill and Habitat for Humanity regarding car stuff. They actually use the old cars to train people to work on cars, which gives them experience and possibly a job in the future. He also has a few doing internships under him to get experience.

As for the food pantry, most of the 'liberals' I know give quite generously. They also volunteer a lot of time to the shelters and food banks in the area. It's unfortunate that most of the 'conservatives' I know will ONLY volunteer/give money or food if it's directly benefiting their own church. Seems a tad bit selfish, don't you think?

Last edited by Rhenzanite; 06-07-2010 at 11:31 AM..

Old 06-07-2010, 11:21 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,533,012 times
Bill Gates gives billions to charities. The man who I saw on a video a few months ago feels the world is over-populated and believes vaccines and our healthcare bill will help with this problem. Please provide a list of this liberals charities because I'm thinking he isn't giving to the kind of charity you think he is.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:22 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
And what do you see as the fedgov's job?

Edit: That's ok if you don't respond, I'll take it that you feel defense and security (borders) are the only jobs the feds have defined for them in our constitution.
Yep...do you think otherwise?

Old 06-07-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
My father does a lot of work with Goodwill and Habitat for Humanity regarding car stuff. They actually use the old cars to train people to work on cars, which gives them experience and possibly a job in the future. He also has a few doing internships under him to get experience.

As for the food pantry, most of the 'liberals' I know give quite generously. They also volunteer a lot of time to the shelters and food banks in the area. It's unfortunately that most of the 'conservatives' I know will ONLY volunteer/give money or food if it's directly benefiting their own church. Seems a tad bit selfish, don't you think?
I never knew a liberal who gave anything. Me thinks you are "mistaken" in your assertions, for they are not in comportment with the facts and I know them to be. I am not calling you a liar, but what you say is not true in my experience (which is considerable in my almost 60 years on this earth.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTFrag View Post
Isn't that an oxymoron? If it is forced, it isn't giving.
My point.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Establishing Post offices and Post roads, coining money, creating laws re: copyrights, patents, Regulating commerce with foreign nations, indian tribes and between states, and a few others. See Article I, Section 8 USC.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTFrag View Post
Establishing Post offices and Post roads, coining money, creating laws re: copyrights, patents, Regulating commerce with foreign nations, indian tribes and between states, and a few others. See Article I, Section 8 USC.
Well...yes.
Basically what is written as the fedgov's 'job'....and nothing more.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:27 AM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,091 times
Quote:
While it may not be specifically worded to say that the feds can and should act to prevent hunger/starvation, it certainly isn't specifically prohibited by the constitution. I imagine that there are other clauses/articles in the constitution that could be used to justify such an activity.

I think I have a feeling of where you're coming from... I was raised/schooled with those ideas. But, over the years, I've changed. So, yes, I think otherwise and vote and contribute funds accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies