Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2012, 07:32 PM

910 posts, read 2,218,049 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that several of the gated communities in Vero Beach use a boring (and confusing) system of numbered street names (45th Avenue, 60th Street. etc). Is this a common thing in Florida, or were the developers too lazy to come up with pretty names ?! Diamond Lake has lovely gemstone-named streets, but Arbor Trace and several other gated communities we saw had a confusing array of bland numbered streets. It seems like, if you are going to have a "fancy" gated community, you could at least come up with attractive names for the streets ! Just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 05:22 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,606,318 times
Heck in Fort Lauderdale it is more confusing, NE 4th street or terrace, or avenue or blvd, all exist. Streets run east west and avenues run north south. Very confusing. You can be on the corner of SW 4th steet and SW 4th avenue. How is that for confusing tourists.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:29 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,794,905 times
I don't know about the numberd streets, but this SW, NE is beyond stupid. Nobody cares what direction they are...why waste time and energy explaining to people this in your address? I really want to start a movement to get rid of that rediculous addition! Who's with me??

Old 09-29-2012, 05:44 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,606,318 times
Count me in !!!!!
Sid

Old 09-29-2012, 07:14 AM

We have the directional addition to our addresses here in rural Ohio. Our street address technically ends with "SE" but I never use it, and the mail gets here just fine.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:53 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,864,933 times
I agree that gated communities should have named streets however for the larger cities, numbered streets make absolute sense. The way it works is you have a main named street that divides the north part of town from the south and a west named avenue that divids east from west. Going outward they are numbered so that you can more easilly find an address. Where it gets very confusing is when you are in a place like Miami and suddenly you find yourself in Coral Gables where the streets are named or when you have to find an address with avenue road attached. In Miami they are starting to name the streets with the names of Cuban military heros and Venezualen Generals. Statues to all kinds of foreign people going up. Some of that can get political and it ends up stupid. I say if you have a gated community and it is new then name the street after the first person to buy a house on that street or avenue.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:32 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,196,298 times
Names for any street are not just picked out. You have to APPLY for any names so that the same street name is not already taken in the immediate area. That must be why some names of streets are so strange....they had to come up with something "different".

I just wish they wouldn't start a street ...end it....and start it again a block away!!!

Old 02-16-2013, 05:19 PM

16 posts, read 30,505 times
Default street naming

I dislike streets that their names change as you drive along them. I live near one that has at least 5 or 6 names as it winds through town. It was very confusing when we first moved here (Missouri).

Old 02-17-2013, 06:06 AM

Welcome to the forum, zippy ! I know what you mean about the same streets changing name. The main road into town from where we live has four different names !

Old 02-17-2013, 04:16 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,742,664 times
The small town where I attended college had the county courthouse in the center of town. The courthouse sat "at the intersection of Main Streets". Yes, the town had a North Main, a South Main, a West Main, and an East Main all radiating out from the courthouse. Typical government self-centeredness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach