Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,066 times

Advertisements

Please dont pick GRA on Edwards Rd. That school is the most unorganized place I've ever seen. I took my kids out of the school and never looked back. For Being in business for 6 years I guess they could only get better. With Gods help!! I guess you get what you pay for!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 12:34 PM

43 posts, read 199,198 times
The Pine School is a stellar public school, probably the has the best reputation in the area, but it isn't Christian. St. Edwards in Ft. Pierce is supposed to be really good as well. From what I've heard, Lincoln Park places more children in Ivy League schools than both of the latter.

I was really frightened by the public schools down here when we moved from NJ, but there are some really great options.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:50 PM

1 posts, read 966 times
Wink Generalize much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycp58 View Post
Hi Miggy,
I moved here to Port St. Lucie 2 years ago. I am a high school teacher (well, now a self-imposed retired teacher) and have worked in two high schools here. Having moved from Massachusetts, maybe my expectations were too high?? I can't, for the life of me, understand how Florida let their schools sink to the abysmal lows that they have. I have a four year old grandson; I just finished 1 1/2 hours of research on-line to find him a private school for September. Since my husband is also an educator and my daughter is in college, we have all seen, first hand, how poorly the schools educate and how unmotivated the students are - even in college. I will also be looking into Barnabas Christian Academy and Treasure Coast Christian Academy. I've heard lots of good things about Morningside, but it is too much for us to afford. As far as middle and high school for your children, I honestly have not heard anything positive about ANY of the schools, even from colleagues and teachers who work at the various schools. I believe that private school is the way to go here; hopefully you can affort it. Good luck.
I have been in Port St Lucie for 5 years. I have 3 kids. I teach in the elementary schools. I have a son in High school. You are absolutely correct about high school and most middle schools. Teachers and students can pretty much do whatever they want. This is a serious problem that is not being addressed. Kids misbehave. Teachers do not follow through with the referall process because it makes them look bad, or because the behaviors are such the norm. What happened to no tolerance? Well, even the teachers are acting inappropriate, so where is the give respect, get respect?
However, you are so wrong about elementary school. Just because yo lowered your expectations when you were teaching here for 2 years...you failed those kids. I work 12 hour days. I have high expectations of ALL my kids. I get respect because I give it. I work weekend until 2 in the morning because my kids will all read well before they leave my class. Printing is a skill they should all have before Kindergarten. We expect the same. Are you really that ignorant to think that we don't? Yet when they are passed to middle school, ??????? Teachers sit at their desks and text. I call the superintendant. The principal. Nothing. All year. My son learns nothing. One teacher even put her hands on my son. Called the principal. Everybody lied to make me look bad. Even called my son a racist. His best friend was black. Hmm... So now. He is going to private because he cant stand to be in the same school with teachers that could care less if he learns or not, unless the principal comes in. Then they get off their butt and ask him if he needs help. For the first time all year. In the third quarter. So, you tell me. Elementary is doing their job. Why did you lower your standards when you were there for 2 years? Maybe my son was in your class. learning nothing. Thanks for that. Just what we need. Another great teacher in upper elementary blaming everything on the state instead of thinking of a way to do your job and find a good way to actually teach kids. Oh what a concept. I teach this skill. My kids are engaged this way, so I could teach the lesson... Hmmm. Rocket science.
If everyone spent the time thinking of a solution, instead of complaining, could you imagine all the lives we could touch?
Lets all stand together and be part of the solution.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:48 AM

2 posts, read 2,558 times
Default Liberty Baptist Academy is an excellent choice!

I know this is a little late for the original asker, but if someone else comes across this post, you should really check into Liberty Baptist Academy. They are a Christian school using the A Beka curriculum. My two daughters have gone there since K4, and absolutely love it. Liberty is located in Fort Pierce, but they are on Midway Road which is right next to Port St. Lucie. Since the school goes from K4-12th grade, you can give your kids the stability of being in the same school for years. At the K4 level, they already start them with cursive writing and reading with phonics. My kids score at the very top end of the SAT tests that they give them every year beginning in 1st grade. They also try very hard to keep the tuition reasonable for everyone. I do not think you will find a private school in the county with lower tution. I have been absolutely amazed at all my children have learned at Liberty.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:56 AM

1 posts, read 755 times
Default Hi there I need to ask you some questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonkim View Post
I read the earlier post about Golden Rule Academy, and there are some things about the post that are incorrect, I have a lot of friends that have kids in the school and they are very happy. My son graduated from there last year. The janitor is not an ex-con and is not employed by the school, he works for the church. In the 2007 school year the executive pastor filled in as a P.E. teacher/ dean. He is not an ex-con, meaning he never went to prison, however, before he became an ordained minister he had been in trouble back in 1990 where he then became a born again Christian and has since then dedicated his life to steering young people away from drugs, partying, and irresponsible living. He is a man of integrity. He received an honorable discharge from the United Sates Navy and a pardon from Governor Chiles in 1997. He has been a youth pastor for 12 years and responsible for helping 1000's of young people make good choices. He is not currently employed by the school nor has he ever been, he is an employee of the church.
I feel like it is unfair to characterize him the way an earlier post did.

The principal in 2007 is now the assistant principle, and is teaching 4th and 5th grade. She holds a B.A. in political science, B.A. in Business Admin and an A.A. in theology. She was also a contract social worker for Martin and Saint Lucie county, She has numerous certifications for early childhood intervention, she taught Parenting to qualified persons through healthy families and also initiated the music and movement brain development program for Saint Lucie County. Not only that, she was a home school mom who was very active in the Florida parent home school association.

The High school home room teacher is also an ordained minister who leads the worship at the church where the school is. He does not hold a college degree, but has completed numerous college course work and is teaching on level. He has a background in social work as well, teaching children with Autism. One thing not mentioned in the post, is that all juniors and seniors at Golden Rule Academy have the option of taking all of the classes they desire at Indian River community College free of charge and the credits count for high school and toward their college degree. I believe that Golden Rule Academy is the only private school to offer this dual enrollment option free of charge. Of the two graduates of 2007, one student has 95% of the credits needed for an A.A. and the other one is currently enrolled in college as well.

The Junior high/High School Science teacher has a doctorate with the University of Florida in Science and retired as a professor of research for the University of Florida, He is quite famous and is attributed for many scientific discoveries at the university.

The Junior High teacher, is certified through the state of New York as a substitute teacher and worked in the public school system in that state. The K-1 teacher has a B.A. in early grammar education, and the 3rd-4th grade teacher is certified with state of Florida in early childhood development.

The principal has a background in administration, homeschooling, and office management, and has been an ordained minister for 20 plus years. Her resume is very extensive, and she has dedicated her whole life to helping others, in teaching and serving.

The pre-school director is also certified through the State of Florida as a director and has completed all the requirements by law for that license.

As far as being accredited, Golden Rule Academy is acredited with FCCPSA, and is also a member of ACSI, the largest accrediting agency for private schools in the country. The requirement for Accrediting with ACSI is that you must be a member for 5 years before you can earn your accreditation. Please keep in mind that no public school is accredited either, but only certified through the state.

During the 2006/2007 school year all the teachers were certified and had a college degree with the exception of the High School home room teacher.

Like I said, I know many parents that are very happy with the school, I am one of them. My son is the young man that graduated in 2007 and has already nearly earned his A.A. and is now a full time college student.

Please keep in mind if it was as bad as some had said, their High school credits would not qualify for college.

If you are considering a private school, you need to take a look at Golden Rule Academy, One thing I did not mention is that the school is covered by a church which also has a corporate board for accountability. There are a lot of schools that have no church covering and no accountability structure.

The church has a strong youth program which is a great asset to anyone that understands parenting a teenager in todays world.

I hope this reply has helped.

Hi there...I am considering putting my child into Golden Rule...but am concerned about the accredition...as of 2013 there is no accredidation....but with that said....how does a high school student get accepted into colleges after graduation? I heard they would have to submit GED scores into colleges for acceptance??? Do you have any info on this, and also how does the dual enrollment work...if child is taking college courses how do they also take high school academics?? Thanks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach