Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 08:04 AM

893 posts, read 1,207,145 times

Advertisements

We may be moving to Portland area this summer/fall - I'm concerned about the enormous cost of living increase though.

Here in downtown Lansing I have a good sized apartment (2 bedrooms, large living room, dining room, kitchen, 1 bathroom, and small backyard) for $700/month. I've looked online a little bit, but it doesn't seem like you can get anything like that in Portland for anywhere near that price. Although I'm not 100% sure where exactly to be looking either, so I'm hoping maybe I've overlooked some areas?

Anyone have some suggestions for where we could find a 2 bedroom place for around $700/month that is somewhat close to downtown? Or does that not exist in Portland? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 08:40 PM

321 posts, read 486,795 times
I think that's going to be pretty tough to find. You might look in Parkside (Grant, Mellen, Sherman Streets, etc.). You might be able to find something for $800 or so, and downtown is walkable from there. The neighborhood isn't as nice as some others, but it does have a lot of diversity and Deering Oaks park is across the street.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:09 AM

404 posts, read 777,791 times
Many apartments here pay for your heating oil, not all, but factoring this in if its included, may bring the 800 to 850 a month back down to your 700 budget. The apartments are probably a bit smaller, most SQ footage seems to be in general.
Reading your post, not sure if looking to be downtown specifically, if not, Look also in South Portland, and scarborough....possibly even westbrook & cape elizabeth. These are very close to downtown (not walkable, possibly bikeable) and you might have more of a selection and maybe even a bit more sq footage. If you have a car these places tens to be more car friendly than downtown Portland. I live in cape and my commute to work in downtown is 5 miles, and I drive though S. Portland to get there just as an example.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:34 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
Would there be apartments in South Portland and the other areas you mentioned for $1k per month?

Old 06-15-2013, 06:45 AM

yes sure That's easily possible. I know in your origional post you said you had a 2 bedroom, but here are a few just from craigslist today. while there are apt complexes, number of the nicer places are apts in a divided house or garage apts.

This one is particlarly nice location, although only 1 bd:
willard beach, 1 bedroom

South Portland/Willard Square

Great 2 bedroom with 1.5 bath located in South Portland

Sunny 2nd floor apt with water and city views (this one heat is included)

South Portland, Harbor Place condos

Craigslist has maps now & a map view and all the ones I listed are on a buss line and less than a 10 minute drive into the heart of downtown. There are more......just keep watching craigslist.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:34 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
good to know....I went on Rent.com and the prices were extremely high.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:16 AM

Yes I think rent. Com only lists the comercial complexes.
Around here most people I know use Craigslist.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:21 PM

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, we have been looking into Craigslist but there hasn't been a whole lot. Everything seems to be at least $1000/month, but most are $1200-$1500. Ugh. Are there any areas around Scarborough, maybe a little further from downtown, that may be cheaper?

We just decided that we're going to pull the trigger and move into the area at the end of the month, so I'll post here if we find anything cheap (other than the place we want :P)

Old 07-11-2013, 11:51 AM

Scarborough isn't that far from downtown...but far is all relative. Scarborough has a few more traditional apartment complexes but I think they are in the 1100 ish range. Just keep trolling craigslist, but you may need to be ready to move on something, as they go fast. Oh wait! here's another resource Drinan Properties, Inc. - HOME PAGE - Maine Property Rentals, Sales and Services & Santoro Real Estate - Portland, Cape Elizabeth, South Portland, Falmouth Maine Home Rentals Leasing and Sales There are a few openings but....it helps you see prices. and there is a cheap garage apt on the santoro site that says available. be sure check out houses & condos too, you never know.

Next month will be a nice time to arrive, but One other thought if you waited till Sept. WInter rentals will be available. These are furnished beach places that rent out pretty reasonably for the winter, down side is you have to move in may or june. If this idea interests you there lots of them in Higgins Beach. Google it!

Old 07-11-2013, 08:24 PM

Thanks, we were looking into places today and one in Higgins Beach stood out. Unfortunately it was listed as a September move in and, like I said, we have to be here by August (I start work on August 5). That would be ideal as it would give us a nice place to stay for a few months without a year lease and give us time to look around and find a more permanent place. The search continues...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area