Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2010, 12:00 PM

14 posts, read 56,191 times

Advertisements

Has anyone lived in the Washington, D.C. area who could compare the cost of a few essentials in Portland?

I know about housing prices and, alas, Oregon income taxes. So what I'm wondering about is the cost of groceries and utilities, and whether they are less, more or the same as Washington, D.C.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 01:01 PM

892 posts, read 2,391,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiter View Post
Has anyone lived in the Washington, D.C. area who could compare the cost of a few essentials in Portland?

I know about housing prices and, alas, Oregon income taxes. So what I'm wondering about is the cost of groceries and utilities, and whether they are less, more or the same as Washington, D.C.

Thanks.
I lived in VA for over 20 years and have visited Portland several times researching a potential move to there, so while I can't quote from direct experience on utilities, I can provide some input.

From my experience, common activities such as shopping for groceries at a supermarket, various items in a convenience store, eating out at average non-fancy restaurants, and grabbing a draft beer at a pub are on the whole the same or less expensive in Portland, OR than in Washington, DC. For the record, I am making this comparison based on experiences in the immediate downtown area of both cities, not the suburbs of either area.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:35 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,481,994 times
Unit costs of Electricity will be lower in the PNW, since some of the energy is supplied by damns on fast flowing rivers. Also, there is much greater available wind power on the West side of the Rocky mts.

Moderate temperatures year round will also cause you to use much less units of energy per month than Mid-Atlantic states.

I am positive you already know, that there simply isn't the WEALTH in and around Portland that exists in DC and suburban DC area. Heck, total real estate prices of Chevy Chase would most likely buy 50% of Portland's real estate. This translates to all kinds of hard to pin down differences between DC and PDX, since the disposable income flashed around in DC ain't in PDX:
- PDX does not have the world class restaurants like DC, thus our restaurants are more economical per person. Same with wine lists in majority of restaurants... PNW and Left Coast vintage wines and priced as such.

- I am sure you know grocery stores in the DC area are tuned to the economics of each neighborhood and disposable income available. In Portland, the driving forces is the wholesome / organic / healthy foods, and as the Left Coast is privileged to have such available and reasonably fresh too, the greater the disposable income available in a neighborhood, the better the selection (and turnover) of wholesome foods and quality cuts of meat; at higher prices than what you may be expecting or accustomed to. But again, PDX has less overall disposable income than DC, so YMMV.

- Your cost in weekly topping off the tank of Gas could, repeat COULD, be lower in Portland because you might be using less gallons. I think PDX TriMet mass transit fares are lower than in the DC area buses and light rail lines.

- Portland is very laid back. Power suits and the competitive dress-for-success is not so much in PDX, we leave that to Seattle and SF bay area. 8 months a year, dress for rainy season. YMMV, but I would presume you could cut back on your clothing budget in Portland compared to DC.

HTH

Phil

Old 08-24-2010, 02:28 PM

Hi khyron,

Thanks for the info. I certainly hope Portland is less expensive than the Washington, D.C. area!

Old 08-24-2010, 02:49 PM

Hi philwithbeard,

(I could say I'm Alanwithbeard -- who actually lives in Chevy Chase, but definitely not in a multimillion dollar home.)

I certainly would like electricity prices to be lower than the Washington, D.C. area, and I realize that Portland's climate could result in lower utility costs.

However, nine months of 40 - 50 degree days might increase the use of heat, compared to Washington, D.C., which has more spring/fall days. Still, I will definitely not miss the loathsome Washington summers, with 60 percent humidity or more, and I prefer cool weather to blazingly hot summers. Yes, I know Portland gets 90+ degrees, too.

Washington, D.C. grocery prices are supposed to be some of the highest in the country. I'm hoping for better quality fruits and vegetables in Portland at, I hope, reasonable prices (although I'd likely be living within walking distance of New Seasons at Orenco Station). Yes, I know about the farmer's markets, too.

I believe TriMet fares are significantly lower than the D.C. subway and buses. In fact, fares, just increased -- again -- this summer.

I'm looking forward to wandering around Portland in jeans, sport shirt, Gore-Tex shoes (that I bought for India's rainy season) and my yellow rain slicker (no Brooks Brothers suit or Burberry's raincoat), eating good, moderately price pub food and drinking some of the hundreds of West Coast brews I've never heard of; I especially like porter and stout.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:45 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,481,994 times
Dude:
Don't wear a yellow slicker unless you be on horse back!
The rain is more of an on and off mist or at best a drizzle. You will stand out as an uninformed tourist, or even worse. Our weather is similar to London or Manchester UK during the winter months. Surely you're as manly as a cockney, right, Gov?

Last summer when I moved to Portland, I overheard another customer's comment about the meat quality in our local chain food store Fred Myers (Kroger, by another name) "Shark Tank feed, it's all just shark tank feed!" (Extreme-lean beef to the point of low taste and string-y.) For the most part, I have found little evidence to counter that comment. YMMV.

Yes, the vegetables and produce in Portland are just outstanding, all year round. When you get out here be sure to search out Grape Seed Oil for cooking. (Wine country grape seeds pressed for a very light but high temp cooking oil.) Doesn't impart a flavor like corn or olive oil does.

However, if you end up in Orenco Station, you absolutely must visit the famous Asian Grocery Store in Beaverton, Uwajimaya. Asian stores in Portland offer many types / varieties of Rice, and a few are high quality imported rice that actually have taste. Most people in North America consume bland tasteless rice from Texas, akin to eating a russet potato grown in Michigan or Ohio-Bland tasteless starch good only for mashed with heavy gravy (salt, fat, cabs). Out here you can find imported Asian rice that is comparable to eating an Idaho grown Yukon Gold Potato. Taste! Flavor! No fat needed to add flavor.

Best of luck to you.

Phil

Old 08-24-2010, 07:08 PM

Hi philwithbeard,

No yellow slicker? I don't mean a long, heavy raincoat, with or without the high slit in the back for horseback riding! I'm talking about a lightweight jacket and hood for heavy rain. It even sports a logo from an animal welfare organization; very politically correct.

I've been to London numerous times, including in the winter when it's almost always overcast. Doesn't bother me, but I've also seen lots of Londoners carry umbrellas.

I don't eat much meat, except for an occasional pub hamburger and some szechuan food.

Grape Seed Oil and Uwajimaya? I have to remember those. I don't eat much American rice because it's bland, tasteless crap!

Thanks very much for the advice. I appreciate it.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:12 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
Hi Reiter-
You should do fine with a lightweight rain shell- Patagonia, Northface, L.L. Bean, whatever since it's more of a drizzle and not as chilly as East coast. You will notice cheaper prices, for sure. What's up with the Asian rice fascination? Just kidding. Phil with beard has recently discovered it. I didn't know there was any other kind. HA! Enjoy your time here in PDX!

Old 08-25-2010, 08:37 PM

Hi Yankeemama,

Yep, that's what I have -- a zippered yellow waterproof shell and hood. I don't wear it much in the Washington, D.C. area because it's either too hot or too cold (doesn't breath enough, but, then, it is waterproof). I'm sure it will come in handy, though, in Portland!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: