Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 04:47 PM

177 posts, read 487,040 times

Advertisements

I know I'm going to regret this, but let me say I tried searching forums and every thread I looked at was basically telling people who asked about cheap neighborhoods they are clueless and should be able to figure this info out themselves.

I lived in Portland for 18 months back in 2000-01 and lived in Chinatown for a bit, then on the east side.

I work from home so commute is not an issue. I won't have a car when I arrive so public transport is, but the last time I lived in Portland was the only other time before now I didn't have a car either, so that isn't a problem with the right location.

I'm looking for ideas where I can get the maximum bang for my buck, and would love a house rental if possible. NO ROOMMATES. I've lived in downtown Detroit next to a rescue mission so I can live in rougher neighborhoods, and indeed expect that I will have to compromise in that area if I want to get a house.

I want to keep my expenses at $1000 or under for rent and utils (heat, gas, water) not including cable, internet, cell etc.

I can also do the outer fringes or even small towns as long as I have grocery shopping nearby till I get a car around the end of the year (unless I decide I don't need one)

Now -- without ripping me to shreds, can someone suggest a few neighborhoods to start looking? I just need a few starting points then I'll research myself.

EDIT: looking at an arrival around the end of August, so that will hurt a bit on choices with all the college students already back. Also open to rural towns as long as I can get by buying groceries and necessities without a car for a few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 05:08 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
There are lots of apartment complexes along Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy where I'm sure $1000 would get you a decent place. Buses run up and down all day and there are several grocery stores, including a huge Asian supermarket, nearby. It's by no means a rough neighborhood and is a 15 minute bus ride into downtown. I'm sure there are many more neighborhoods that will fill the bill. We here on CD are used to people asking for what you want but with a $600 budget. $1000 a month will give you lots of choices. No palaces, but decent places.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:11 PM

What, if any, neighborhoods would that get me a small house? I can go a BIT higher, but trying to balance expenses with work - the more expensive the living costs, the more of a slave to working I become ;-)

I know an apartment is the most sensible choice, but I really want a little yard. And dare I hope for a small porch? Some kind of duplex or flat woudl likely be my best compromise, but not sure how much you see those in this area of the country as I only did apartments last time.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:23 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
I think you might find them in any number of neighborhoods, but they'd likely be old and small and maybe not well cared for. Suggest you contact some property management companies. I had occasion to talk to one recently and they indicated that they are handling lots of rentals for folks who are underwater in their mortgages. I know Craigslist has its detractors, but it might be a good thing to explore.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:54 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,926,874 times
i agree this is a rough crowd in here! but you have a job so that is a HUGE plus.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:20 PM

I had actually been trying numerous filters on CL to find the "cheap" neighborhoods and finally just did the "needle in a haystack" unfiltered search ... and discovered the reason I'm not finding the cheap neighborhoods is because there ARE no more cheap neighborhoods. I'm pretty shocked at how much higher the relative cost of living is now.

I mean, I could increase my work hours from 24 a week, but I have decide if I'm really willing to do that for geography (I am looking at a few other cities.) I also do some freelance writing on the side I could push harder but those gigs have a way of drying up suddenly, so it's better to keep them as extra income rather than necessity income.

I'll have to think hard about my priorities. It took me a long time to get to where I could cut my work hours to where they are now, and even though I have a pretty cushy job (nurse telephone triage) one never knows what will happen.

EDIT: I grew up in the rural midwest, where the economy has really tanked, but I'm not affected by local economy/job market, so I'm looking at options like these listings near where I grew up:

http://richmondin.craigslist.org/apa/3046437295.html
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/apa/3045720726.html

Kinda puts things in perspective...

Last edited by RetroPhoto; 06-08-2012 at 06:37 PM..

Old 06-08-2012, 06:39 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
That's all very well and good, but to take advantage of such listings, you'd have to live in rural Indiana, not Portland. Or any other city. It's all supply and demand.

If you don't mind rougher neighborhoods and want cheap ... try East Portland.

Last edited by EnricoV; 06-08-2012 at 06:51 PM..

Old 06-08-2012, 06:49 PM

Sure, it's a tradeoff, that's what I'm saying. I have to decide which is more important, working more hours to live right in a cool city like Portland, or working a lot less and having more time to do other things, like travel to cool cities when I need an urban fix.

Having said that, Portland really is on the higher end of cost of living than I realized, which wasn't the case when I lived there before. Places like Cincinnati can't really compare, but aren't so bad and those areas are within range for weekenders to Chicago. Or Nashville for a different flavor. Or Detroit for a whole other flavor yet. ;-)

Thanks for your help and responses in helping me get a better idea of what it would take to live in Portland. I think it's a bit too rich for my blood these days, so I'll have to settle for the occasional visit.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:12 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
That's all very well and good, but to take advantage of such listings, you'd have to live in rural Indiana, not Portland. Or any other city. It's all supply and demand.

If you don't mind rougher neighborhoods and want cheap ... try East Portland.
or clackamas you have the green line

Old 06-08-2012, 07:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
NE PDX to Gresham.
Look at areas on the east side of I-205, Gateway and East, or in relative proximity to Glendoveer Golf Course (but in areas to get cheap-er rents)

Gonna be ~$800 for an apartment these days.

There are many less expensive places to live in OR, but not without a car.

BTW: you can do A LOT better than OR for chosing CHEAP places to live. (Taxes and rules)

High rents (coupled with high unemployment and SLOW economic growth) is yet another benefit of having high minimum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland