Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 05:38 PM

4 posts, read 10,288 times

Advertisements

Hi, My husband has a mobile job, and we moved to Portland a year and a half ago to be near family and live in a cool town. Portland is definitely interesting, community-minded, progressive, green, family-oriented, and cool.

Buuuuut, housing is expensive for us (we still own a house in another state that we can't sell, blah, blah, blah--sick to death of this housing crash--and have money tied up in the mortgage) and the weather is terrible about 9 months of the year. So we live in a cramped, run-down rental to live in the inner NE nearby family. And with fall just about here, I am depressed at the idea of another loooong winter.

Has anyone moved from Charleston, SC to Portland, OR or visa versa? If so, what was your experience? We have 3 very young children, a dog, and two cats. We're from the Southeast originally and miss the warm sunshine but don't miss the crime and conservative culture.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 06:05 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
No one can tell you what you should do, there is no heaven on earth. If the reason why you moved to Portland is no longer important, move.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:12 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Funny how we all view weather differently. Lived in Portland for a few years and now in the southeast.

I prefer the Portland weather. I don't find 95 degree heat and humidity to be nice weather.

I don't think you can afford to buy a house in Charleston if you can't buy in Portland.

Charleston is buy no means cheap.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:20 PM

4 posts, read 10,288 times
Thanks for your answer. Charleston seems to be cheaper (based on craigslist searches and a friend who lives there), but it may be that we are trying to stay in an expensive neighborhood in Portland.

I think I would really enjoy the humidity and heat. I grew up with it and it never bothered me. But thank you for weighing in. I'm obviously unsure about it.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:48 PM

892 posts, read 2,392,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carejo78 View Post
I think I would really enjoy the humidity and heat. I grew up with it and it never bothered me. But thank you for weighing in. I'm obviously unsure about it.
I grew up in the south, and my opinions on heat and humidity are well known...and entirely irrelevant to your life (just as anyone else's). What I would focus on, though, is the cultural differences. You're talking about two places which are about as far apart in that department as it gets in the lower 48. You're really talking about moving from one country to another.

Weather is just water and temperature and jobs are just ways to get money, ultimately, being completely surrounded by a culture you're either comfortable with or allergic to means more than either...at least to me.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:25 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post
I grew up in the south, and my opinions on heat and humidity are well known...and entirely irrelevant to your life (just as anyone else's). What I would focus on, though, is the cultural differences. You're talking about two places which are about as far apart in that department as it gets in the lower 48. You're really talking about moving from one country to another.

Weather is just water and temperature and jobs are just ways to get money, ultimately, being completely surrounded by a culture you're either comfortable with or allergic to means more than either...at least to me.
Actually weather can impact your health. In addition to hating the humidity I can feel arthritis coming on.

If you're living in a climate that you don't like it has a major impact on your life.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:44 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times
My family lives near Charleston. I hate the humidity but if you're from the SE you know what you're getting into. The nice part(s) of Charleston are beautiful but you're going to be dealing with typical SE issues. Remember that Charleston or at least North Charleston is one of the most dangerous cities in the US, you'll have to live in Mount Pleasant or at least Summerville if you want your kids to go to a decent school, unless you have the money and connections to get into Ashley Hall or Porter Gaud.

The beaches are beautiful though and the arts community in Charleston is lovely but I wouldn't live in the city with kids unless I had oodles of money and connections to the "old" families in the area. Mount Pleasant is nice enough but its suburbia...good luck to you!

Old 09-07-2010, 06:45 PM

33 posts, read 68,485 times
Default big change

We can't comment on the personal aspects of your decision, but here's what I know from working a lot in Charleston and having visited and considered a move to Portland... Charleston's a huge change. First, there are very few nice neighborhoods to live in. Downtown is nice, but it's small and there are a lot of chain stores and the food scene isn't that good. outside the downtown, the nice neighborhoods are spotty and very suburban or rural/poor. You'll likely pay more than in Portland to live in a nice neighborhood but less to live in a crappy one. And, you get none of the cool things about Portland ...not eco-consciousness, more skeptical (/hostile, if you're from the north) of outsiders, not bike friendly, dull food scene, swampy coastal environment, few arts (except a southern-preppy bar music scene). And, as another responder has said, the climate in Charleston is brutal... long, extremely hot and humid summers that go on forever, and you can't just put on a raincoat and go out, you step outside and start sweating instantly.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:19 PM

240 posts, read 483,298 times
I lived in Charleston for 11 years before living in Florida, then Portland. I loved Charleston, particularly for its endless subjects for sketching and painting, and felt for many years that I would eventually return, but as I've gotten older the heat and very oppressive humidity discouraged me from moving back there; it's very similar to the climate in Florida, but even hotter at times. I lost many valuable books due to mold and mildew. And then there are the ever-present Palmetto bugs, huge mosquito population and fire ants.

The Charleston area, other than the artsy area downtown and some areas west of the Ashley, has always been very conservative, and anywhere out from downtown is very Southern Baptist.

I have many fond memories because I had many happy experiences there in my early adulthood, and my daughter was born there, but people grow and change and it doesn't suit me now. I left the south to get away from oppressive heat and humidity, bugs, the conservative mindset, and the ever-pervasive "religiosity."

If you miss the southeast, Charleston, particularly around Summerville, would be a good choice. As others have mentioned, you know what you're getting into, especially weatherwise. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Old 09-10-2010, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,617 times
Default chuck town

I have lived in charleston for 10 years. Many places are nice to live just outside the city like Mount pleasant, James Island area just 5 miles form downtown. I love it here, people are very nice. Sunny a lot. The heat is almost deadly though. I am thinking of moving because of the weather...to Portland or Virginia. Charleston is the most beautiful place I have ever seen..great food, people and history. I just think people who lived here and moved away forget about the heat. It gets old. I am soaked with sweat just walking to the mailbox. I am ready for 4 seasons. Anyway if you can stand the heat, I dare to say Charleston SC may be the best place to live in the US. Thats just my thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: