Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 04:52 PM

103 posts, read 297,812 times

Advertisements

Portland utility costs per month?

Electric?

Oil/natural gas/oil if any?

Cable/home phone/high speed internet bundles?

Do you guys pay for water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 08:15 PM

132 posts, read 341,478 times
Gosh. I think your utility bills, for the most part, will depend on the size of your house or apartment and how much electric/heat/etc you use. We live in a bungalow and our electric bills seem to run about $70-$80/month and gas about $20, although I suspect that bill will go up since we've recently cranked on our furnace. We do a cable/internet package that's about $80/month. If you live in Portland and own your place, be prepared for water department bill shock. We just got our first bill -- it's $200 a quarter. Garbage/recycling is about $25/mo. Hope that's helpful.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:33 AM

172 posts, read 418,552 times
Are you looking into an apartment or house? Obviously larger the house and the more living in the house will change your costs. There are many variables, is the residence a new construction? How “eco” friendly are you?

When I lived in a decent sized 3 bedroom bungalow with finished basement, our electric was around 100-125 a month (5 people were living here), gas varied between 30-75, water bill came at random, but was about $250 every 2-3 months. Garbage was included with the rent, which isn't all that normal. I don't remember how much interest cost me, shop around, phone/cable/internet bundles are always being advertised around 100 bucks a month. Comcast is the major one advertising.

I also lived in a mid-sized 1 bedroom alone in NW, near the Pearl. Hot water, garbage and regular water was included with rent. My electricity bill was about 20 bucks a month in the summer and 50 in the winter (electric heat). For some reason, I never had much need to turn my heat on in the Winter, the apartment was always around 67 degrees (i'm pretty frugal). I now pay NYC rent and utilities. When I go through my old reciepts, I want to cry.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:47 AM

103 posts, read 297,812 times
Either a three bedroom ranch style house in the Multnomah county or a two bedroom apartment. It all depends whether my brother wants to transfer colleges.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:31 PM

172 posts, read 418,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingbig View Post
Either a three bedroom ranch style house in the Multnomah county or a two bedroom apartment. It all depends whether my brother wants to transfer colleges.
Well it's obvious having a two bedroom apartment will cost significantly less. You'll have less space, but that will help with heating and cooling costs. Also, most apartment buildings include water and trash in with the rent.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:42 PM

51 posts, read 224,038 times
Anyone have an idea about the average electric/gas bill would be for a studio/1br apt in PDX might be?

I pay about $75/month electric for my non A/C, non heated 1br apt now in HNL.

Of course thats assuming the building pays for water, trash and sewer, like most places advertise. Is curbside recycling pretty much everywhere? Is that an addl bill?

Old 12-22-2010, 02:59 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,561,885 times
Most apartments in town I have seen are electric heated, so we don't have a gas bill. A lot of the apartments here can also be very poorly insulated, which I'm just finding out this winter. The windows are thin, and so are the walls. We're on the top floor, and figured we wouldn't have to heat our place as much, with the rising heat from our neighbors below. Was paying about $25/month in the summer, now $80/month for electricity. Was pretty shocked by the drastic increase. (Our place is 2 bedroom 900 feet). I do have friends with electricity included in their rent.

Most places should include garbage/recycling, water, and such. We only pay electricity and internet (if you want it).

Old 12-22-2010, 03:06 PM

254 posts, read 653,206 times
Yeah, about the same as davemess10.. in a 1 bedroom apartment.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:48 PM

51 posts, read 224,038 times
Ryant and davemess10, do you guys have an A/C window unit, central air or neither?

Old 12-22-2010, 04:34 PM

254 posts, read 653,206 times
I have an A/C window unit. The summers were more like $30/m, winters are ~$75/m with the electric heaters. I didn't need to run the AC very much.

I think the electricity here is cheaper then a lot of places because of all the hydro-electric power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland