Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 08:26 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,017,286 times

Advertisements

I know prices are falling in some areas and I've read Portland is one of them. Fortunately, I did not buy at the peak and I hope my value holds somewhat. I can tell you that some houses in Phoenix have been hit really hard in terms of holding their value.

My needs are pretty simple now. I'd be content in a 2 or 3 BR house with 1.5 bathrooms (actually, I'd be content with a 2 BR and 1 bathroom but I'm thinking of resale value). Age of the house isn't all that important as long as it's been well maintained. It must be a single detached dwelling as I won't do common walls. Living in a safe area is super important to me. Also, quiet is very important to me and, while I have almost half an acre in my current situation and I'd like to keep a distance between neighbors, it isn't that critical if it is going to break the bank. I just want quiet. Schools are not important. I'd like to live in a liberal part of the area (which is not possible in Phoenix metro area and I have had it with this RW state).

Anyway, just trying to get a realistic idea of how much I might expect to pay. I haven't been in Portland for 25 years so I don't remember areas other than NW Portland was more upscale and I lived in NE Portland. While I'd prefer to live in Portland, if the burbs are less expensive and mass transit is available that works too, but I do have a car. Just don't like driving. I'd appreciate any thoughts and thanks.

Last edited by mistygrl092; 07-17-2011 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: fix post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 08:34 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,189,880 times
They are a lot cheaper than they used to be, but then again they're also much smaller:

Old 07-17-2011, 08:38 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,017,286 times
Hey, that is a cute house! I could even do a one bedroom, but I am thinking of resale value. It's just me and three pets (and my two dogs are small and my cat is a senior now who doesn't need to roam anymore).

Old 07-17-2011, 09:34 PM

Yeah, just kidding, but they do have a fairly large number of these Tiny Houses in Portland. Pedalpalooza: Tour of Southeast Portland Tiny Homes

Old 07-18-2011, 02:19 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,407,498 times
My wife and I live in a small, 3-bedroom/2-bathroom house built in the 1980s in suburban Beaverton, which Zillow says is worth about $185K. It's been steadliy declining in value since it peaked at $260K, but it's still worth more than I paid for it in the late 1990s. Although lots are small (5,000 square feet), the neighborhood has been very quiet for all the years I've lived here. We've had a couple of noisy neighbors and dogs, but the problems didn't last long. People here are respectful of peace and quiet. I tend toward liberal, and the neighborhood probably tends a bit more toward conservative, but there's a mixture of people, and I've never felt out of place. Yes, Beaverton is typical suburbia, and we'd live closer to downtown Portland if we could afford it, but the area is safe, quiet, inexpensive, and relatively close to Portland. It's also close to high-tech companies, shopping, and healthcare. And although schools aren't important to you, Washington County has good schools, which is factor for other people, if you did move here and someday decided to resell. There are plenty of houses in the area in the $175K-225K range. The low end gets you about 1,200 square feet, and the high end gets you closer to 2,000 square feet.

If you're looking for an older, less-suburban, and more liberal neighborhood in that price range that's closer to Portland, there are plenty of pockets in NE Portland. Houses are smaller, and more likely to have 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom, which doesn't seem to hurt resale value in older, close-in neighborhoods. We know several couples who live in a neighborhood near 10th and Ainsworth (if you know one couple there, eventually you're going to meet their friends and neighbors), and we really like the feel of the neighborhood.

You can find houses in the suburbs on quarter-acre and sometimes half-acre lots. In general, those neighborhoods will be from the 1960s or earlier. The closer they are to Portland, the more they cost, of course. You didn't mention your price range, but if you can afford in the $300K range, there are some great mid-20th-century houses on large lots in the triangle that lies roughly west of I-5, east of 217, and south of 26. It's been over a year since I've looked, so I don't know whether they've dropped even more in price. It's a great area, because it's close to Portland and has a Portland address, but it's in Washington County and has lower taxes. It also has mature landscaping.

My advice is to check on Zillow, and then ask advice on here about particular neighborhood in your price range that look interesting.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:06 PM

I just read in passing on another thread that US home prices are set to crash again next year. I don't remember which organization said it, I didn't really read it closely, but you might want to wait another year and get a really good price.

Check out the real estate forum here, they should have more information about that.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:42 PM

405 posts, read 1,282,894 times
Because of the crappy housing market, Portland's rental prices have skyrocketed. If you are buying, I think they are pretty reasonable, as not many can sell their houses right now. I was renting a 5 Bed/2.5ba 2800sq ft house in a subdivision in Beaverton for $1525 a month, but landlord raised it to $1700 a month right after I left. I know she was telling me the market price was about $350,000 for the house, which sounds about right. My neighbor sold his house which was 2500sq ft, but much nicer, for about $350,000 as well. Portland will be more expensive than Beaverton. If you want to live in the inner NW side it will be about $700,000 for the same house I describe in Beaverton. However, the outer NW side of Portland, which is actually more like part of Beaverton, will be similar in price to Beaverton. My advice is to rent before you buy in Oregon.. Trust me, our housing market is volatile and Oregon may not be all you think. An 800 sq ft 1 bedroom apartment in the Pearl goes for about $1000/mo. To give you an idea of the contrasts.. Also, Hawthorne/Brooklyn area houses rent at high rates. I lived there years ago when it was cheaper, but now I hear it is exclusively for the upper class liberal types..

If you want a liberal neighborhood, than you need to live Downtown, Pearl, NW , Hillsdale or inner NE, like Alberta, Albina , Hawthorne, Brooklyn areas. These are the liberal hipster meccas you are probably dreaming about, where everyone who doesn't have a nose ring , dyed hair or tattoos is considered to have mental issues. Well, I am exaggerating quite a bit, but that is the areas you are thinking.

Actually, most of Portland is quite conservative once you go east. Outer East Portland is full of good ol boys and gangsters, so beware of that area. Portland is a strange and very spread out city. Some of Portland's suburbs, like Beaverton, Tigard, Tualiatin, etc tend to have an Orange County vibe to them and are more conservative, I'd say 60/40, compared to inner city Portland which is like 80/20. Gresham's high hispanic population makes it more liberal, but considering you live in Phoenix, you may not consider living amongst them. East Gresham and Clackamas county is the bible belt of Oregon.

If you got money you can avoid crime. All of Portland is infested with petty crime, like burglaries and theft. If you want to avoid crime then live in the suburbs, like Beaverton, Troutdale, Tigard, etc.. Even the suburbs have their pockets of place to avoid, but they will be obvious, because they are cheaper. I found Beaverton, Tigard, West Hillsboro, East Gresham to be very safe and not a far drive from the liberal areas you desire. Oregon City and the areas around Clackamas Town Center are also quite safe and nice areas.

Oh yeah, if you want to take over my lease here in Hood River you are welcome . Very liberal town, 1 hour from Portland and would be much better for single girl than single guy. Also, the best scenery in all of Oregon is right in this town, trust me! How would you like a giant view of Mt Adams to the North and Mt Hood to the South? Yeah, you can see both mountains at once!

Old 07-19-2011, 09:31 AM

55 posts, read 154,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I just read in passing on another thread that US home prices are set to crash again next year. I don't remember which organization said it, I didn't really read it closely, but you might want to wait another year and get a really good price.

Check out the real estate forum here, they should have more information about that.
What model Crystal Ball are they using to make this prediction...?

Bottom line is that no one knows where the housing market will end up... If you want to move, upgrade, buy for investment, etc, just do it and dont over leverage yourself and you will be fine...

Old 07-19-2011, 11:10 AM

Statistical models aren't always perfect, Roatan, the housing market is very complex - but more often than not they're fairly close to the mark. A year is not too long to wait, if this is true - but like I said, that's other people's homework, if they want to do it.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:20 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,506,801 times
Quote:
These are the liberal hipster meccas you are probably dreaming about, where everyone who doesn't have a nose ring , dyed hair or tattoos is considered to have mental issues. Well, I am exaggerating quite a bit, but that is the areas you are thinking.
You are exaggerating a lot. People who describe this neighborhood as such usually do not and have never lived there. I live off of Hawthorne in the Buckman neighborhood. True there are many hipsters roaming on Hawthorne due to the many shops on the boulevard but for the most part they do not live here. The surrounding neighborhoods are peaceful, quiet and nice.

I am 65. My neighbors in my apartment complex rage from very young (not hipsters) in their 30's to elders 75. This is typical of the apartment complexes. The houses in the neigborhood contain young couples with children.

Last edited by Minervah; 07-19-2011 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: clarification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland