Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 10:38 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times

Advertisements

Okay, here's the deal. 'Mother-in law' is visiting from across the pond. She would like to spring for dinner somewhere nice to celebrate the missed 50th b'day of my better half. Yes, I've outed my SO as a geezer, she won't kill me. Anyway... McGrath's is usually the go to place when we want to celebrate something and we'd like to break our pattern. We've also done the Indian Place on 12th near Yamhill but I think we want to stay either in North America or perhaps the British Isles for this outing. Can we do it? All you find when you look for British Food is Pubs. Both SO and her mother want a proper sit down fine dining establishment with a British menu. Is there somewhere like this in Portland? On the American side, I've found Milo City Cafe, Wildwoods and Veritable Quandary. Reviews for all of them are all over the map! Please help us make a choice for Saturday night. Make light of the situation if you must, but please also be helpful. TIA.

H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 11:34 PM

181 posts, read 455,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
On the American side, I've found Milo City Cafe, Wildwoods and Veritable Quandary. Reviews for all of them are all over the map!
Wildwood is right down the street from my office. I actually had my job interview there over lunch. I had mushroom-filled crepes, and they were exquisite. Very artfully presented, too, if you're into that sort of thing. I would happily eat there again. Actually, now that I'm looking at their lunch menu online, I have no idea why I haven't gone back yet!

Portland Monthly did a write-up of Veritable Quandary last month for their "Best Outdoor Dining" article. Based on their description, it sounds lovely!

Old 09-02-2011, 09:05 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Bread and Ink Cafe on Hawthorn has incredible food and is only slightly more expensive then McGrath's. The service can be a little so-so because they get pretty busy during dinner hour and have a small kitchen for the space.

Laurelhurst Market would be a nice surprise too. It's on Burnside and 32nd or so (just before you see the pillars for the Laurelhurst Neighborhood.)

I highly recommend checking out -An Exploration of Portland Oregon Food and Drink for more ideas.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:36 AM

600 posts, read 1,468,669 times
VQ is amazing and their patio is to die for.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:34 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,606 times
I think the food at VQ is pretty good. Portland City Grill has the killer view. I've heard great things about Clark Lewis clarklewis - home

I don't think any of these necessarily qualify as having a "British menu" though...

Old 09-02-2011, 10:51 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,020 times
I'm confused about the British menu part. Other than traditional pub fare, what is British cuisine? We have so many wonderful places to eat here in Portland, but I don't think I've ever heard of a British fine dining restaurant. May I gently suggest that you take her to one of the fine dining restaurants that feature the bounty of the Pacific Northwest instead?

Old 09-02-2011, 11:05 AM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,224 times
I tried googling "yorkshire pudding portland" but came up empty.

How about places like Huber's, or Jake's (either one) or RingSide, or Morton's, or Ruth's Chris?

Old 09-02-2011, 11:53 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
There aren't any real British food restaurants in Portland outside of British-style pubs. But Moon and Sixpence over in the Hollywood District is a great British pub, that's fairly nice, and does have some good food options like bangers and mash, steak pie, cornish pastries, roasted chicken and so on. That's probably as close as I can think of a good place to get British food.

http://www.menupix.com/menudirectory/menu.php?id=909080

Old 09-02-2011, 12:21 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Excellent suggestions all. Thanks. Just walked into work and pulled up City-Data first thing to see what you guys came up with, can you tell that my priorities are in order? I'll chew on this (nyuck, nyuck) a bit and follow hamelir's link on my lunch time. I'm leaning towards Wildwood's over VQ but the Bread and Ink Cafe sounds intriguing. I'd not heard of it and food to die for is the entire point. Thanks again.

H

Old 09-02-2011, 02:17 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Maybe these?

I have been to the Horse Brass and Moon and Sixpence but I think you might find they are more on the pub side.

Wildwood is very, very good.

Portland British Restaurants: Read Portland Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland