Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 09:35 PM

107 posts, read 451,729 times

Advertisements

It looks like a beautiful park. Is there much crime that takes place within the park? As a young woman would you hike/bike alone?
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 02:57 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,652,855 times
Id recommend wearing a lot of cologne.. much easier for the police dogs to find the body. Enough dark humor..
Over the years I lived in Portland I can recall many instances of rape and women disappearing in the woods of Forrest Park. Bodies have been dumped there even recently. I even had a childhood friend murdered in that park. No I dont believe its safe to run, hike, walk ect.. in the park alone if you are a woman. My two cents here, and you can check the news archive in portland and see what has happened in that park over the years. Your mileage may vary. Id at least get a good hiking buddy or a large protective dog.

Squidlo

Old 08-21-2007, 10:00 AM

Default thanks

Thanks for your response. Not really what I wanted to answer to be, but not surprised! I do have two visious golden retrievers!!!!.......not!!

Old 08-21-2007, 11:13 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,900 times
I think it depends on where and when. I know a fair amount of people who do jog and hike alone or with just a dog. It's a very popular jogging area. I'd consider contacting someone from one of the trail/hiking/jogging groups, people who actually use the park for specific info rather than just sensational stuff. I also believe the bodies found that the poster aboved mentioned were prostitutes who were dumped there. Not that that's any better but I don't think they were killed in the park or preyed upon in the park. I've taken my son (five) and our border collie there several times and we didn't feel uncomfortable. We didn't go hiking hours into the park though and maybe that's the difference.

A year or two ago there was a story about hikers who found a man and daughter who were living in the park in a really hidden away area and had been apparently for a long time. He only left to get his social security checks and homeschooled the daughter in the park. It was a strange story and he ended up taking the daughter from the foster care home she'd been put in and disappearing again--most likely still living in the park somewhere! Parts are so rural that it would take an experienced hiker/search and rescue person to find you, so yes, there could be a lot of people hidden away living in the park or other things. I imagine if you're interested in short hikes during the day that's where the difference is.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:19 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,900 times
Here's a link to the story, unfortunately it doesn't tell you that shortly after all of this they disappeared again...
Peak Oil News & Message Boards >> Public Policy; Political and Legal News >> Amazing Survival Story - Foreshadowing From Portland (http://www.peakoil.com/article332.html - broken link)

Old 08-21-2007, 11:52 AM

Default wow, amazing story!

Thanks for sharing!

Old 08-21-2007, 12:29 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times
Forest Park is HUGE. Even though it's right above downtown Portland, parts of it are pretty remote and empty. Certainly the main paths are just as safe as any other large park, despite the alarmist comments above. I've walked several of the paths by myself - granted, during the day, and in the major areas - and never been slightly worried.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:46 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,274,691 times
That's amazing that parts of the park are still rural. And, it is part of a city ???

Old 08-21-2007, 01:19 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times
Forest Park is a City of Portland Park + natural area with 74 miles of trails on 5,100+ acres (so says the city website).

Portland Parks & Recreation :: Forest Park

Portland's Forest Park — Friends of Forest Park

Old 08-21-2007, 03:22 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,652,855 times
I dont really consider losing a close friend in that park to be alarmist. She was just 16 and not a prostitute just a normal young woman. That being said common sense should be used anywhere you may be alone.

Squidlo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland