Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 04:58 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,132 times

Advertisements

I have a question for people that want to move to Portland (or Oregon).
When I read these forums I see the same old topics:
Stuff like Weather, Recreation, Gay friendly, Affordable Housing, Commute times, etc.
The questions I never see (and have never seen) asked are about local politics and politicians, urban development plans, how the city spends it tax dollars, etc
I think that finding out in what future direction a city is moving is important.
Especially if I plan to live there a while.
Do people wanting to move here even care?
Are they just planning to move here for a couple of years until the wow wears off and then move someplace new?
I sure would like to know what the political ambience is and who the major players are if I was moving somewhere.

AFAIK, discussing local politics is not discouraged by the CD rules as long as the discussion remains civil...
This is what it says:
All posts unrelated to local matters will be deleted or moved.
Threads dealing with controversial topics that often degenerate into flame wars, such as politics or religion, may be moved, closed, or deleted by moderators at their discretion without any warning to the participants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 05:52 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,252 times
I care. I've googled a lot of that stuff, so I don't feel the need to ask on here. Also, I'm coming from Arizona, where we bring up the rear in poverty, education, and conservative politics.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:16 PM

75 posts, read 121,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
I care. I've googled a lot of that stuff, so I don't feel the need to ask on here. Also, I'm coming from Arizona, where we bring up the rear in poverty, education, and conservative politics.
As do I and I'm coming from South Carolina, where we are usually only surpassed by Mississippi in poverty rates, lack of education spending, conservatism, and I'll add obesity/diabetes and religious monoculture.

My vote usually only counts insomuch as encouraging hope that change may one day be possible. I'm not sure I can wait that long, though.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:15 PM

20 posts, read 28,297 times
You are normally able google things like that, see things like that, news/ websites monitor that.

Honest things, as weather, commute, gay friendly are things YOU as citizens for said city would only know, things you have seen and done.

I've never understood people who are so against others moving into their city. Be happy that people want to move in an area where you are, it makes you lucky. Just because people don't ask certain questions doesn't mean they don't care, it means they are already educated on that. Or, maybe things like that matter first.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:27 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,561,057 times
It isn't like we are against people moving to Portland (or Oregon for that matter) but many of us want to add a splash of reality. Yes, jobs are tough to find everywhere but jobs in Portland are historically scarce. When I graduated from the U of O back in the day my Mother encouraged me to find employment in another community, not only because she thought I needed a broader prospective but because it is easier to find a job here if you have experience.

Like those who arrived in a covered waggon, it takes a lot of preparation and grit to be a success in Oregon.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:44 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,440,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
It isn't like we are against people moving to Portland (or Oregon for that matter) but many of us want to add a splash of reality. Yes, jobs are tough to find everywhere but jobs in Portland are historically scarce. When I graduated from the U of O back in the day my Mother encouraged me to find employment in another community, not only because she thought I needed a broader prospective but because it is easier to find a job here if you have experience.

Like those who arrived in a covered waggon, it takes a lot of preparation and grit to be a success in Oregon.
I love this comment. I moved here in the late 70's with a job transfer. About three or four years later my company closed its office in Portland. It took me about six months to find another job in my field.

That is no time at all compared to today. The last layoff I had was in 2001. It took me until 2004 to find permanent full time work.

I don't like the "Visit but don't stay here" thing. I understand that McCall was talking about the difficulty in getting employment idea but most people I know who used that quote speak it literally.

Everyone deserves a chance to live where they want to live but they have to be sensible and above all be prepared for the conditions in which they may find themselves. I have known too many people who just plunked themsleves down and waited for everything to come to them easily. Those are the ones who are no longer in Portland.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:25 AM

47 posts, read 89,810 times
Yes, people are sure posting some stupid questions . . .

Old 01-06-2012, 01:47 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,948,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Or end up like Donner Party and get eaten!

Old 01-06-2012, 08:42 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
Or end up like Donner Party and get eaten!
That was California, not Oregon

And that only happened because the leader was lost, which is another apt comparison.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:29 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,440,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OROSO View Post
Yes, people are sure posting some stupid questions . . .
Not necessarily stupid but definitely ill-informed. Many potential transplants have gotten too caught up in what they see and hear about Portland in the Media. Some actually believe that all of Portland is like the show "Portlandia."

Some believe that Portland will be vastly different in than the place they are trying to get away from and don't bother checking to see what conditions actually exist. Or they think they will be leaving their problems far behind. But they don't think about how they may find those same problems and/or new ones.

It's better to ask any kind of questions at all instead of creating a utopia in your mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: