Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 12:38 PM

51 posts, read 329,400 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

So before I sound like prima donna, let me say that I don't expect to find everything on my "want" list, but I'll still list my hopes, just in case. I'm considering moving to Portland and am hoping to find a quaint neighborhood where there are old-fashioned houses and lots of trees and/or parks with trees, or river walks. I'd give up the old-fashioned houses for lots of trees and parks, so long as it doesn't have too many busy streets or industrial/highrise areas.

Also, I'm in my early 30's and single and would love to be around people in their 30's/40's if possible, in an area where I wouldn't stick out. I've lived in neighborhoods where EVERYONE was spawning at the same time and every other person walking down the street is pushing a stroller and also has another baby strapped to some part of their body. I love kids, but being kidless and single, I'd like to avoid feeling out of place.

I REALLY don't like concrete, busy streets, skyscrapers, noise and a fast-paced life. Though I'm young and single, when people say "why don't you move somewhere with a great nightlife" I cringe, because that usually means bars and nightclubs and loud places where people get drunk and show off, which sounds like hell to me. Instead, I love bookstores and cafes and quiet intellectual people who love nature and a quiet, slow, artistic life and/or Buddhism. Does anyone have recommendations for me? I would be fine living a 20 minute commute by car outside the city center, and I telecommute so I don't need to commute to a job. Thank you all very much, in advance, for any recommendations you might have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 02:02 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,435,602 times
Portland has one of the highest park densities per capita of any city in the US, including both the largest and smallest parks within City limits, not to mention the only city park with an extinct volcano in it. Not to mention one of the best Rose Gardens in existence.

Treed areas describe pretty much everything outside of downtown, and even then there are major parts of DT that have trees. Older neighborhoods like Ladd's Addition and Laruelhurst will have bigger trees of course.

What is your budget looking like? That's going to help us narrow things down a lot more.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:09 PM

51 posts, read 329,400 times
Thanks so much for the reply. I'd like to pay $800 or less for a 1 bedroom or studio. Ideally it would be 750 sq ft or more in size. After almost a decade scrunched into a 400 sq ft studio near San Francisco, which costs me a shocking amount of money, I would really like to be able to spread out a bit more, even if that means living further from the hotspots of a city (which I don't care about anyways), or in a rundown condo complex. So long as the area is safe, and I get ample square footage, I don't care what my apartment looks like inside or out. I really don't need granite countertops or rich neighbors...let's put it that way.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:22 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,558,027 times
Portland has lots of trees and many older, classic buildings. Singles do predominate around the city center in neighborhoods to numerous to list.

This particular landlord focuses on classic buildings (I have no experience with them), I offer it only to give you a glimpse of what may suit your style: KBC Management manages unique rental properties in Portland Oregon Keep in mind the fact that most vintage buildings were constructed without provision for on-site parking.

Here is another possibility: Vista St. Clair - Downtown Traditionally it has an older clientèle, you would be on the young side. There are a number of buildings in the style of those offered by KBC nearby.

OOPs, my suggestions may exceed your budget, although KBC may have some.

In all honesty you need to visit and look around. There are a number of classic apartment buildings on NW 25th near Wallace Park but they are typically rented with a sign in the window. You need to take a look, make a note of the name and number of the property manager (which is typically on a sign near the building entrance).

Old 07-24-2012, 03:22 PM

95 posts, read 116,771 times
You should check out the Brooklyn neighborhood if you get a chance, which is in inner SE Portland. I lived there for 4 years and really liked it - lots of leafy streets with early 1900-s houses, mixed with relatively inexpensive, smaller apt. buildings. A lot of people in their 30's, buddhist prayer flags, a couple of parks, and close to downtown, but laid back and mostly quiet, lifestyle.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:27 PM

478 posts, read 881,606 times
You might want to look around neighborhoods like Goose Hollow northward. There are some extremely funky and quaint apartment complexes there, you are steps away from Forest Park, and a reasonable distance from downtown. Here's an example of a building I've walked past and that I think is charming- The Envoy Condos of Portland | 2336 SW Osage St It is a condo complex, but I am sure some of them are rented out, and there are similar buildings in the area, some much smaller. The rents may be quite a bit more than $800, though, unfortunately.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:44 PM

The Envoy is just a couple blocks from the Vista St. Clair. Renting in newer/recently converted condos is restricted by covenants, the odds of finding a condo for rent is small.

Forest Park is not far from the buildings I mentioned on NW 25th.

The Brooklyn neighborhood is a great suggestion.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:03 PM

73 posts, read 183,455 times
As a fellow child-free woman in my late 30's, I can chime in by saying you'll be hard pressed to not find yourself surrounded by 30/40-somethings pushing strollers or wearing babies in Portland. Portland is very family oriented. However, I've never felt out of place, or as if I stick out not having a child, and there seem to be plenty of, or at least enough, childfree folks here that you won't feel like some sort of anomaly.

The suggestion of NW near Wallace Park was a good one but you'd probably sacrifice square feet in your price range. I have a friend who just moved from that area, I think she was paying somewhere in the range of $750-$800 for around 400 square feet. The Brooklyn neighborhood was a great suggestion, and I'd also suggest looking at Woodlawn and Concordia in NE.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:43 PM

343 posts, read 692,699 times
I have some good news for you. You sound like a nerd, and Portland happens to be nerd central. Don't worry, I'm a total geek too. Like any new place I would recommend dabbling. Portland is a very walkable city and I guarantee you'll find an awesome place very quickly. That and most people aren't jerks so it's easy to make new friends.

I felt very comfortable striking up random conversation without feeling alienated. Not only was my nerdiness openly accepted, it was embraced by everyone. In light of the massive anti-intellectualism going on in CA, Portland is an exception. As a fellow Bay area resident I understand how things can be out here. While visiting Portland my biggest surprise wasn't Voodoo Doughnut, Multnomah Falls or Washington Park. The children there seem to enjoy reading books. In fact I saw a lot of people reading books in public, which was a weird sight to see coming from CA.

As for a neighborhood recommendation, I know some folks who live in SE around Reed College. Very quiet neighborhood and mostly retired folks live out there. Pretty natural setting, no one will really bother you unless you ask first. Not a lot of old fashioned houses, but it's up your alley. You can get to downtown in 20 minutes by bus, even faster by car. I know someone in this area with a 2 bed apt for $900/month, so I think your search for a 1 bed might be doable.

Last edited by ramedud; 07-24-2012 at 07:54 PM..

Old 07-24-2012, 08:23 PM

East Moreland (east of 39th on either side of Woodstock) is a nice neighborhood. I don't recall vintage apartments but haven't been there for several years. The residential area around Reed College (west of 39th) is all single family dwellings and quite expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland