Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 10:42 PM

203 posts, read 126,522 times

Advertisements

I think you'll very easily find what you're looking for. Most of Portland proper seems to fit your bill - lush foliage, residential, quiet, old houses reign here. You just have to find your area because all this is abundant. 50% of the city is singles. You'll find all this in SW, SE, NE, North - wherever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 11:32 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
Agreed. Pretty much anywhere in Portland is going to fit the bill. Stay out of the suburbs (or anything east of about East 60th) and the middle of downtown, and you'll probably find what you're looking for.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:45 PM

51 posts, read 329,603 times
Thank you all very much for your answers! I really appreciate all the information. And it does sound like Portland is the right place for me. It's so nice to know that there may be one.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:47 PM

51 posts, read 329,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramedud View Post
I have some good news for you. You sound like a nerd, and Portland happens to be nerd central. Don't worry, I'm a total geek too. Like any new place I would recommend dabbling. Portland is a very walkable city and I guarantee you'll find an awesome place very quickly. That and most people aren't jerks so it's easy to make new friends.

I felt very comfortable striking up random conversation without feeling alienated. Not only was my nerdiness openly accepted, it was embraced by everyone. In light of the massive anti-intellectualism going on in CA, Portland is an exception. As a fellow Bay area resident I understand how things can be out here. While visiting Portland my biggest surprise wasn't Voodoo Doughnut, Multnomah Falls or Washington Park. The children there seem to enjoy reading books. In fact I saw a lot of people reading books in public, which was a weird sight to see coming from CA.

As for a neighborhood recommendation, I know some folks who live in SE around Reed College. Very quiet neighborhood and mostly retired folks live out there. Pretty natural setting, no one will really bother you unless you ask first. Not a lot of old fashioned houses, but it's up your alley. You can get to downtown in 20 minutes by bus, even faster by car. I know someone in this area with a 2 bed apt for $900/month, so I think your search for a 1 bed might be doable.
People reading?! In public!?! Ya...I would've had the same pleasantly-shocked response. That really doesn't happen much in CA, sadly. And since you came from here, you know I'm not being sarcastic.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:49 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,549,801 times
Ladd's Addition is very nice. Old houses, mature tree lined streets.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:17 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan1214 View Post
People reading?! In public!?! Ya...I would've had the same pleasantly-shocked response. That really doesn't happen much in CA, sadly. And since you came from here, you know I'm not being sarcastic.
I think that Portland, or rather Multnomah County, has the highest per capita library card holders. And at one point, I think it was rated the same for hard-cover book purchasing. Who knows about that these days, though.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:16 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,654,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Ladd's Addition is very nice. Old houses, mature tree lined streets.
Good call on trees and atmosphere. Love the area. I remember a few of those huge old homes have apartments in them. Close to anything I would want if I was 30 something.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
East Moreland (east of 39th on either side of Woodstock)
^^^ gets my vote (including Woodstock Neighborhood) ^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
Good call on trees and atmosphere. Love the area. I remember a few of those huge old homes have apartments in them. Close to anything I would want if I was 30 something.
I would also look at area around Rose City Park (NE 62nd and Tillamook)

Mt Tabor

Rock Butte (at base, west side and NW side, near Grotto.)

Concordia Neighborhood

Laurelhurst

I would specifically look to rooms / apartments in homes of elderly. Sometimes you get a whole wing, or daylight basement, or NICE apartment over garage. Plenty quiet, plenty safe, plenty nice.

My S-i-L was able to get by for 30+ yrs 'house-sitting' for elderly travelers.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:59 AM

95 posts, read 116,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan1214 View Post
So, in CA people look at you askew if you are reading in public? Like just laying out at the park on a blanket with a good book and your dog at your side, or relaxing at a pub on a Sunday afternoon w/ a pint and the newspaper? What could be better?

Old 07-31-2012, 04:08 PM

343 posts, read 693,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXJ View Post
So, in CA people look at you askew if you are reading in public? Like just laying out at the park on a blanket with a good book and your dog at your side, or relaxing at a pub on a Sunday afternoon w/ a pint and the newspaper? What could be better?
No but it's getting there, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland