Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 12:37 PM

320 posts, read 418,000 times

Advertisements

Just looked at the website again and noticed that there are income guidelines to live there. But that could be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 03:53 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,604,047 times
It is close to down town but not particularly convenient, which is reflected in their rents. They sit between a moderately busy RR right of way and a through street, Naito Parkway. There is a pedestrian overpass that brings you reasonably close to a MAX stop at the Greyhound Bus station. The minus is that the crowd that hangs around there and streets to the south and east can be problematic but no where near as interesting as the Mid-town Bus Terminal in NYC.

For short term car rental check out Zip Car. They have two cars parked near The Yards.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,194 times
I don't have too much to contribute by way of useful information, but just wanted to say hi. I'll be moving to Portland this October on the same visa as you guys. I'm 22, from Cork and will be looking in the same sort of fields as you when it comes to work - Commerce degree with a major in Marketing, plus some Digital Marketing experience.

I'll be watching this thread anyway, as all the info being posted is useful for me too!

Old 08-12-2012, 05:11 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,499,233 times
EnricoV's reply regarding rent is spot on. I would also like to add that what you see on Rent.com are listings by landlords that may have rentals that are not the ones that people who are living here would actually recommend. That may be why they are listed with Rent.com. Not that this is always the case but it could be.

The best way to find a good apartment is to come here first and find a nieghborhood and start walking looking for "For Rent" signs. The good stuff is rarely advertised. I know you are not able to do that so the second best thing is to put yourself in whatever is affordable and reasonable first, don't try to find all you want at first. Compromise and flexibility are important. Just think of where you land as your home base to use to scout out something better. Believe me that's what I did when I first moved here. And I couldn't be happier where I am at now. Renting in Portland is tough with a 3% vacancy rate. One must be at the right place at the right time.

As a commuter who has never owned a car and has relied on public transportation in Portland for 30 plus years, I will advise you to check the bus or light rail service when looking at a prospective neighborhood. Public transport does not go all places. It is not like Europe or the larger metropolitan American cities. You can determine routes and schedules by looking at the Tri Met website.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:45 AM

11 posts, read 11,959 times
Thanks to everyone who has helped me out so far in way of looking for apartments, areas and sorting out public transport etc. Nell Plotts you are one knowledgeable guy .

Please keep the posts coming about Jobs - which agencies are the best, where are the jobs usually advertised?

Also PlinkyPlanky, deadly to hear that man. What made you home in on Portland, public transport, relatively cheap cost of living and the fact it seems alright for jobs the same reason yeah? Or you got mates or somethin' there? Awh man, would love to be going in Oct myself... have to wait all the way til' March now. Where are you mainly lookin' for jobs? Good to know aswell that we can even meet for a pint when me and the lad go over.. You can give us your expert opinions and tips..

Old 08-13-2012, 09:46 AM

Also - Really Really like the Look of the apartments near Union Station. Good price too.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:44 AM

2 posts, read 1,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdubzn View Post
Also PlinkyPlanky, deadly to hear that man. What made you home in on Portland, public transport, relatively cheap cost of living and the fact it seems alright for jobs the same reason yeah? Or you got mates or somethin' there? Awh man, would love to be going in Oct myself... have to wait all the way til' March now. Where are you mainly lookin' for jobs? Good to know aswell that we can even meet for a pint when me and the lad go over.. You can give us your expert opinions and tips..
Yeah, pretty much those reasons I guess - I visited Portland last year as I've a few friends and acquaintances there, and I just really liked it as a city. It's not so big that it's daunting, which makes it pretty easy to navigate, decent transport etc.
As far as the jobs situation goes, I guess nowhere seems as bad as here, you know yourself. But I suppose I won't really know until I'm there and get something sorted out like! Just looking through the usual sites for jobs right now, linkedin, monster etc. Trying to make the most of any contacts I have aswell of course!

Ah, March is a bit of a dose for ye, but atleast it gives ye time to plan, get some savings and so on. I'm sure i'll be back with some tips for ye before then - and pints sound like a grand plan

Old 08-14-2012, 03:01 AM

23 posts, read 40,964 times
You have no jobs, and your housing budget is too small. You really aren't thinking this out.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinkyplanky View Post
Yeah, pretty much those reasons I guess - I visited Portland last year as I've a few friends and acquaintances there, and I just really liked it as a city. It's not so big that it's daunting, which makes it pretty easy to navigate, decent transport etc.
As far as the jobs situation goes, I guess nowhere seems as bad as here, you know yourself. But I suppose I won't really know until I'm there and get something sorted out like! Just looking through the usual sites for jobs right now, linkedin, monster etc. Trying to make the most of any contacts I have aswell of course!

Ah, March is a bit of a dose for ye, but atleast it gives ye time to plan, get some savings and so on. I'm sure i'll be back with some tips for ye before then - and pints sound like a grand plan

Ah good stuff, so at least you've been there before and kinda know the craic with things. Kinda looking through them sites too to get an idea, linkedin can be good cause not everyone uses it at all (well not in Ireland anyway). Yeah pints will be had, who are you getting the work visa through? we are getting ours through the IIC (irish immigration centre in boston) because its working out cheaper and you are free to book your own flights and don't have to buy a return.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:45 PM

8 posts, read 19,389 times
$900 for a 2 bedroom will be like finding a needle in a haystack. You could try Gresham and get as close to the transit center as possible, but anything close in is not likely. Even if there are (274 I believe you quoted) listings online. That doesn't mean they are actually available to lease. We have a less than 3% vacany rate....one of the tightest in the nation right now and rents are increasing by the minute. Moderator cut: snip good luck!

oh, and as far as the job front....imo...anybody who wants a job can typically find one. however, whether or not its in your chosen field may be a different story

Last edited by Kimballette; 08-18-2012 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: Members with few posts may not post links.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland