Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 01:41 PM

9 posts, read 26,836 times

Advertisements

Back when my wife and I were first married, we were determined to move to Portland. We love it there. We visit often, have favorite hangouts, love the vibe... it's a kindred spirit to us.

Now, 6 years later, we have 2 children. Portland is still super, but the schools stink and homes are double the price than they were even 2-3 years ago.

I'm from Chicago and Portland feels more like home than even my hometown does... but my stated concerns along with the many PDX expats that have landed in Madison and are now many of my neighbors are telling me to stay -- that it's not worth it.

These people LOVED living there but said it's just not worth raising a family there. Ugh, my head hurts from the confusion!

Please, help us. Give me your honest thoughts. We can't afford to move to only regret it later. Thanks so much.

Last edited by notangry; 10-09-2007 at 01:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 02:02 PM

268 posts, read 1,194,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notangry View Post
Back when my wife and I were first married, we were determined to move to Portland. We love it there. We visit often, have favorite hangouts, love the vibe... it's a kindred spirit to us.

Now, 6 years later, we have 2 children. Portland is still super, but the schools stink and homes are double the price than they were even 2-3 years ago.

I'm from Chicago and Portland feels more like home than even my hometown does... but my stated concerns along with the many PDX expats that have landed in Madison and are now many of my neighbors are telling me to stay -- that it's not worth it.

These people LOVED living there but said it's just not worth raising a family there. Ugh, my head hurts from the confusion!

Please, help us. Give me your honest thoughts. We can't afford to move to only regret it later. Thanks so much.
You mentioned regret....ask yourself if you might regret NOT moving to PDX several years down the road.
I moved here this summer from the midwest for similar reasons you are thinking about it. I have 3 small children, the oldest in first grade here.
I am LOVING every minute of my decision!! My husband and I got Portland on the brain in the summer of 2000 and it never left....We're in a very family friendly area and there is sooo much to do here with kids it is unbelievable! The rain hasn't bugged us one bit, either. A good rain coat and boots will take you very far!!

Old 10-09-2007, 02:08 PM

The rain is a bonus for us. But no matter where we look, no matter who we talk to... it all comes down to the PPS system is in complete disarray and a mess.
Madison, WI is a pretty tough act to follow, we know, but we were living here when we first decided that Portland was to be our final destination. Of course, we didn't have children then and never gave the schools a thought...
Where did you move from? What neighborhood are you in? We are considering Sellwood/West Moreland or Hawthorne.
Thanks for your reply baby!

Old 10-09-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
The rain is a bonus for us. But no matter where we look, no matter who we talk to... it all comes down to the PPS system is in complete disarray and a mess.
Madison, WI is a pretty tough act to follow, we know, but we were living here when we first decided that Portland was to be our final destination. Of course, we didn't have children then and never gave the schools a thought...
Where did you move from? What neighborhood are you in? We are considering Sellwood/West Moreland or Hawthorne.
Thanks for your reply baby!
When the rain gets me down (which it hasn't yet but I'm thinking ahead!) I plan on viewing the weather in the Midwest to see how cold and snowy it is! That should brighten my spirits!! We came from Omaha...
I avoided the PPS at all costs because of the problems there. We decided to move to the Tigard/Tualatin district b/c our oldest is on an IEP and they are known for their incusive practices. Lake Oswego is an outstanding district but very spendy to get into. West Linn/Wilsonville are more reasonable and also quite exceptional. Sherwood is also a great option, very family friendly and focused and a great school system!

Old 10-09-2007, 03:45 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
Sorry, but what is PPS exactly?
thanks

Old 10-09-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Sorry, but what is PPS exactly?
thanks
Portland Public Schools...
Are you counting down the days 'til next summer???

Old 10-10-2007, 01:24 PM

Seriously, nobody has additional info about Portland schools? I read in another thread similar concerns and most people were like, "Oh, it's not that bad." But, I mean, I can't find anything that says otherwise.
I'm just looking for some real-world experienced parents who have some knowledge of what's happening around Portland in regards to schools and neighborhoods, etc...

Thanks a bunch, in advance.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:35 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,419 times
What I hear from parents is that they prefer certain suburban schools like Otswego and Beaverton. I talked to some teachers in Portland when I was there this summer; they admitted - closing schools (never a good sign) and budgetary problems.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:45 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times
Quote:
Seriously, nobody has additional info about Portland schools? I read in another thread similar concerns and most people were like, "Oh, it's not that bad." But, I mean, I can't find anything that says otherwise.
I'm just looking for some real-world experienced parents who have some knowledge of what's happening around Portland in regards to schools and neighborhoods, etc...

Thanks a bunch, in advance.
My son just started PPS in grade K. I've been happy so far. I work with many people with kids in PPS and they're all happy too BUT, the majority of the people I know utilize school choice and have kids in various magnet programs (language programs, art, etc), or moved into specific neighborhoods for particular schools. So that might have a lot to do with it. There are plenty of good schools in Portland. They just released the report cards and the school my son is in got rated exceptional by the state. Many others are rated strong and exceptional as well. If you go just based on the ratings alone, it's clear that the reputation doesn't follow through across the board. PPS has gone through a lot of restructuring, closed schools because of declining enrollment and so on and I think that has a lot to do with the "bad" reputation. Several studies expect that the school district will level off within a few years and no longer have declining enrollment, which was the cause for school closures, etc. This year they had more students than they expected. I have no plans to pull my child out of PPS and feel like if I'm unhappy with a particular school I have a lot of options within the district. Hope that helps. Like everything you should come tour and visit yourself. Look at the schools, talk to parents with children IN the school district. There are a lot of really involved parents and great teachers.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:26 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,419 times
Definitely talk to the involved parents. Find out how easy or difficult it is to get into certain schools. Typically good schools exist in good (read "expensive") neighborhoods. Great teachers exist all over but their hands are tied when it comes to budgetary and administrative mandates. When schools close, it is a warning about the system. Be sure to do your homework on this beforehand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland