Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 11:44 AM

159 posts, read 409,159 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember me? I was supposed to move to Portland in September but I got sick (trachycardia) ironically a day before I was scheduled to leave and had to postpone my trip until after the holidays. But now the date is set. I will be moving to Portland in early Feburary. I started a thread a few months ago about moving to Portland with 8,000 dollars and no job and I recieved both good and bad advice from the posters on this board. I actually called and found a few apartment complexes in the Portland area that would allow me to rent without a job provided I could pay three months rent upfront and provide a cosinger. I told the woman my situation and she was very gracious and had a few apartments she wanted me to check out when I arrived

I'm looking forward to moving to Portland but I am also cautious because of the low percentage of minorities residing in the city. I'm an African American male and being born and raised in Chicago where most ethnic groups come in contact with each other on a daily basis, I'm a bit concerned about being alienated in a city like Portland that lacks the racial diversity and urban atmosphere of alot of cities back east. I'm moving to Portland because I plan to go to school there and it is also a great outdoors city, but can anybody give me any information about the racial climate in the Portland area because I have no idea what to expect when I arrive? Are minorites dispersed across the city or are most confined to a specific area?

My situation is still the same. I will be moving to Portland with no job, no car but 10,000 in my pocket. I plan on using 5,000 to pay my rent 6 months in advance at about 750 a month and the other half I plan to use for food, phone and other expenses. I figure this will hold me over until I find a job in the Portland area. How has the job situation changed in Portland? Are jobs more accessible or are they still scarce?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 12:18 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,025,495 times
I remember your previous thread. The job situation is a little better according to the news reports, but not great. Minorities are pretty well dispersed. There is still a higher African-American population in inner North and Northeast Portland than the rest of the city, I think. Racial tension is mostly non-existent in my experience.

The usual advice is to live near your job, but you don't have one yet. Do you know which school you'll be attending? If so, live near that. What kind of job will you be seeking?

Old 12-27-2012, 12:37 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rass33 View Post

I'm looking forward to moving to Portland but I am also cautious because of the low percentage of minorities residing in the city. I'm an African American male and being born and raised in Chicago where most ethnic groups come in contact with each other on a daily basis, I'm a bit concerned about being alienated in a city like Portland that lacks the racial diversity and urban atmosphere of alot of cities back east. I'm moving to Portland because I plan to go to school there and it is also a great outdoors city, but can anybody give me any information about the racial climate in the Portland area because I have no idea what to expect when I arrive? Are minorites dispersed across the city or are most confined to a specific area?
I really would not worry about this at all. Granted I'm white, but I have dated, worked, and befriended people from all races. From my POV, it seems that is that there are two types of racism in the Portland area. Little to none, and perceived racism. On a day to day basis, if you act and dress like a Ghetto Thug, you're going to be treated as such. If you dress nicely, you'll be judged on that. Otherwise nobody really cares what your skin color is. You're more likely to be judged harshly because you're a meat-eater, you use an umbrella, or you don't drink the right brand of coffee.

On the other hand, some people are highly sensitive to racism and see it where it doesn't exist. They claim "it's racism because I was passed over for a promotion at work." Or "that guy totally cut me off because I'm black." One of my ex-Gfs used to cuss out her brother because he'd say stuff like that, "No you're just an idiot."

I also worked help desk for a local company that got sued for discrimination. When hired, everyone started six months temp worker and would be hired full time based on performance. This one young lady did no work at all. When she did, it was rarely correct and had to be redone by someone else. She would also try to steer every conversation towards race and accuse people of racism when talking. Oh... and our Division Program Manager was also black, she would call him every day demanding a full time job. He was actually the person who ended up cutting her contract off because he was tired of it.

I'm not sure of the outcome of the lawsuit, but I know they fought over it for at least three years afterwards.

Since I'm obviously under qualified to really talk about racism in Portland, I leave it to others to better educate you on it. But otherwise it seems like you're on the right track. $10k seems a little thin to me, even with paying your apartment ahead of time. But if you don't waste time, start networking for jobs right away, hit up temp agencies and aren't picky about what kind of job you eventually get you should be good.

Just be aware that even minimum wage jobs are still getting hundreds of resumes per an opening, even part time positions.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:41 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Hmmm... I remember your posts... I don't recall if I posted in any of them or not. "Good advice..." "Bad advice..." ... how would you know? I'm curious as to how you would determine the validity of a Portland based posters 'truth' from your location in the Midwest. You seem really uptight about the race thing and that being the case... why are you rolling the rock uphill?

I have about 15 minutes to spend giving you some well meant advice in the spirit of the Season. Whether you consider it "good advice" or not is up to you. First: do not pay six months rent in advance! It is probably criminal to require even 3 months in advance. Live out of a long stay motel if you have to, they don't cost anymore than rent would, and you get maid services besides... what's not to like? Find a room-mate situation that does not require you committing half of your nest egg to a venture that you do not know the outcome of. Your school should have some housing options to consider.

Brother, when I moved to Portland (~2009) the black population was 3%. That's the entire state of Oregon. It is now 1.8%. Again, that is the entire state... 67,000 individuals in a state with nearly 4 million people. They aren't leaving because black people are being treated especially well here. We came with 50K in savings and my wife is white. That allows us to live in the poor white section vs the vanishing black part of town. A single black man on his own... ... does this real estate agent know your race? Probably, and more likely than not she has consigned you to the worst part of North Portland she knows of. If that's what your cool with, who am I, but don't expect to get into discussions about particle physics over the Sunday Oregonian in your local coffeeshop.

Getting a job will be... I want to say, impossible... can I do that? I mean... its hard for the white people... I haven't found work in my field (IT) since I've been here. I work at all because I am very talented on an obscure instrument that few people of any race play well. I've been here long enough to make friends and start a network and I have lost some of friends when their employers gave them grief for not telling them that this great guy they were recommending was black or simply when they didn't want to face that music when given my resume to consider. You are about 20 years younger than I am and this will be of great benefit to you in a job search. But not much. I don't look my age. Mostly it really comes down to race. Some jobs, people aren't really ready to see a black man doing. If they are, they will call you! What exactly is it you are looking to do? How much money do you imagine you need to live here? And you are here to go to school right?.. at 33... I could get into that as well, but I won't... some things are none of my business.

Why am I here? Bicycles. Human powered vehicles of all kinds in fact. In that I have not been disappointed. I have a huge garage/shop and I have designs in my head and one day you might just see one of my creations rolling over the Burnside Bridge. Mild winters don't hurt. I spent some time in Michigan...brrr. Since I am married to someone white and have not made the acquaintance of a single black person since arriving here you could safely say that I am very comfortable with the lack of diversity in Portland, especially its suburbs. Are you? Just asking. When I actually go into Portland I see brothers and sisters around but I don't interact much. I am usually with 'J' and that might make them think I've sold out, lol. I don't know but your experience might be different.

There you have it. FWIW.

H

Old 12-27-2012, 12:45 PM

5,462 posts, read 8,182,393 times
Quote:
......... Are minorites dispersed across the city or are most confined to a specific area?...........
Red dots = White, Blue dots = Black:

Race and ethnicity: Portland | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 12-27-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Red dots = White, Blue dots = Black:

Race and ethnicity: Portland | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Wow, according to that map black people don't seem to be well dispersed throughout the city.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:25 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
I see the Alberta area is still ethnic. It was so much so when I lived at 16th and Alberta that it wasn't safe to walk alone at night. I did anyway, but that is just me. When I lived at 182nd and Burnside Area I had two friends who were mixed race couples. (White Wife). Neither associated with my old neighborhood much, but they also didn't live near me either..

Old 12-27-2012, 01:28 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
Quote:
Wow, according to that map black people don't seem to be well dispersed throughout the city.

It has more to do with income than race.

Wealthy blacks live right alongside wealthy Japanese, Latinos and Whites. Middle income ... Well you get the picture.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:39 PM

5,462 posts, read 8,182,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I see the Alberta area is still ethnic. ..........
The map is year 2000 census before gentrification. Since then: A Changing Neighborhood - The New York Times > U.S. > Slide Show > Slide 1 of 8

The whole article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/29/us...TgNiy7RG4rYog&

Old 12-27-2012, 01:43 PM

Thank you Leisestrum, I have actually read most of your threads also although this is the first time I have replied to you. It is great to get advice from you since you are also an African American male living in the Portland area. I looked into the hotel and the roomate scenario, but i decided that getting a one bedroom apartment was the best option for me. I love my privacy and I think I should have enough money to weather the storm until I find a job. I will also be attending graduate school at Portland State University, but rent can be too costly and I'm trying to hold onto to as much money as I can.

I have been searching online for apartment complexes and found some really nice places in inner north and east Portland, but I have also been shunned at more than a few places once I sent them my application and photo ID. I was talking to one manager at an apartment complex and she was very nice too me and was even making plans for me to move in but once i sent her my application and photo ID and she saw I was black, she stopped taking my calls and never responed back to me. The same thing happened at an apartment complex in Northwest Portland, but I refuse to generalize Portland based on a few negative experiences. I'm afraid you may be right about minorities being steered into certain areas. I was hoping that wasnt the case but I suppose that is a reality I will have to deal with.

I have a bachelors degree in political science so I'm going for my graduate degree at Portland State University. I will take just about any job at this point as long as I can make enough money to help with living expenses. Once again thank you for your advice Leisestrum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland