Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 11:24 AM

16 posts, read 37,814 times

Advertisements

Previously I lived in Portland from 2008 throught 2011. I've been back home in the Midwest for personal/family reasons for the past year or so. In September of this year I'm planning a move back to Portland to resume school and pick up where I left off in 2011. When I moved in 2008, I was lucky enough to find a job in the first two weeks I was there. While I'm sure the job market is better now than it was then, I'm not taking those chances again. I plan to come out to Portland the first full week in August to look for a job and an apartment. I'm looking in the customer service/restaurant/retail area. I have 10+ years of combined experience in call centers, big box retail, and serving. I'm hoping this will help? Though, I know that the competition out there, even for low level service jobs, is tight I'm hoping maybe some of that let's-all-move-to-portland craze amongst recent college-grads has somewhat died out or at least quieted down a bit? Also, any apartment tips? Previously I lived in NE, near the 60th Street Max station and then in NW, near 22nd and Flanders. I would prefer close-in, but having a car this time around -- I really don't care where I'm at as long as it's relatively safe (no random assaults or car break-ins). Also, I've grown up just a bit so living close-in NW or Hawthorne isn't a super-big deal right now. I can always move back to those areas after I finish school. Sooo... any tips? Has the rental market changed much since 2010 (that's when I last looked for apartments in Portland)? I'm looking in the 600-700 range, either a studio or a one bedroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 04:52 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
To my knowledge, all the areas in which you have experience are still very competitive and pay around minimum wage. I am going by hearsay and Craig's List. Others may tell you they know of someone who got a great job at more. So I think it's really hit or miss. Best adive is to come prepared with a good amount of savings in your pocket while you look for work.

Housing is tighter than ever with fewer apartment rentals than ever. The good news for you is that are studio apartments going up in the areas you like in large buildings for aound $700. They are large buildings are we are told they should be ready by mid summer. Right now though, check out Craig's List to get an idea for what's available.

Check out an NPR broadcast I posted on the Portland CD all about the apartment shortage with tips on how to get an apartment here. It is still true that the farther away from close-in you go, the less expensive it will be but that is changing as more people get the idea. Still good deals are there to be found I am told.

The bottom line is that, in IMHO, things are not any easier to establish oneself in Portland now than they were when you were last here but with a lot of hard work, luck and planning, it can be done.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:56 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,749 times
$600 - $700 is doable in Portland. While a lot of people use craigslist and other rental sites to look for apartments, it not the only option out there. Some times hitting the boots to the pavement in your desired area can yeild great finds. $600 studios in Downtown Portland do exist, it will probably be tiny and in a older building. I think Nob Hill has some rent controlled apartments, long as you don't make to much money. Living further out will give you more for your money.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:53 PM

Craigs list will give you an idea of cost but is not a good way to get an apartment long distance because locals will have the places rented within minutes. The best way is to scour the neighborhoods looking for rental signs and pouncing when you see them. If you cannot do that the next best thing is to go through a rental management property company. They can tell you what they have for the area you want and what's coming up and reserve a place for you. Once you are here you and want to find something else you will have a home base from which you can check out other areas and be one of the first in line for other options.

Portland does not have rent control. It isn't legal but there are some apartment buildings that are managed by what is called "Home Forward" which is a housing agency run by the city that will allow lower income people in certain buildings depending upon the number of residents in a unit and their income. These buildings are all over the city.

If you are coming out in August, check out the area of SE 27th and 30th and Hawthorne. By then the studio apartments that will be around $700 or maybe less should be built. I don't know the rental prices but that should also be true for studios at 10th and Burnside as well.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:45 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,749 times
Rent Control maybe the wrong word for me to use but I have seen apartments listed that had Income Guidelines to where you could not make more then a certain amount a year.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:28 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
The minimum or starvation wage jobs you are experienced in are always available somewhere. They often don't last long, but they are there. Not just Portland, but Eugene and the other side of the mountain.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinpdx View Post
Rent Control maybe the wrong word for me to use but I have seen apartments listed that had Income Guidelines to where you could not make more then a certain amount a year.
Yeah, I see what you meant now. The OP would have to qualify. He would have to be a Portland resident for Home Forward I believe too. But he may not have to do that for the price he is looking at. It will probably all come down to whatever job he is able to secure or what kind of savings he brings when he moves.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
The minimum or starvation wage jobs you are experienced in are always available somewhere. They often don't last long, but they are there. Not just Portland, but Eugene and the other side of the mountain.
Unfortunate but very true. If anything I would say that these jobs are even more difficult to come by than ever before. It's not that there are more numbers of people flocking to Portland it's that these are the mostly the skills of those who do. I don't know why that is but it seems to be the case.

People who have something a little different to offer are would be in a better position. I have been reading that the trades are really lacking in people who want to go into them. According to "Angie's List" magazine, young people do not want to learn skills like plumbing, carpentry, woodworking, sheet metal and things like that and contractors for these jobs are paying top dollar to get skilled qualified workers in these areas for those who can do these jobs.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:05 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,859,347 times
I know this is not OP's job field but as a point of interest, Engineers and technicians seem hard to find in Portland. Many times we have to pull from Midwest or CA.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:13 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
The OP seems to think things are better. In the area he is looking at it is the same.

But he is coming to look first, and as a student his skill set may not be what some have suggested as jobs in demand, would require. Pretty typical jobs for students, but the availability is no better, and no worse.

And as pointed out this influx of no skill, happy with $1.00 burgers every night, wanderers have not helped, and doesn’t seem to have slowed down any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland