Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 10:32 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,517,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sondeera View Post
Stay away from China Town and you're all good. And it's not like you're going to head out the door and trip over China Town.
While Chinatown is sort of mildly sleazy with the street people there-- thoughit's still worth going to just for the Lan Su Chinese Garden which is one of the best of it's kind in the states and has a nice tea house to relax in with good food as well. It's very well done, and it's impressed even Chinese people I've known who've visited. Worth a short trip in my opinion--as it's one of the more interesting things downtown. It's only two blocks from the MAX stop or one walk along Waterfront Park and just walk to the garden.

The rest of Chinatown--eh, not really that exciting, though Good Taste Noodle House is good for lunch--most of the rest of the restaurants went downhill years ago. But the Chinese Garden is cool.

Agree with most of what's being said here--the Monaco is much more convenienet. Unless one sort of wants to relax and be away from downtown itself, then the Riverplace is worth a look. It's kind of it's own little area over there however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 05:20 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,023,291 times
I have to put in a good word for Golden Horse Seafood Restaurant at 4th and Everett. That one hasn't gone downhill.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:27 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,517,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
I have to put in a good word for Golden Horse Seafood Restaurant at 4th and Everett. That one hasn't gone downhill.
Yeah, actually that's actually one of the few places I remember getting a good meal at in Chinatown. Good seafood and noodles.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:51 PM

478 posts, read 881,715 times
Both Golden Horse and Good Taste are very good. Since Good Taste is so small, it's typically overflowing at lunchtime- you'll likely have to share a table if you're alone!

The staff at Golden Horse are always friendly, and their lunch specials are cheap and filling.

So, to the OP- don't be afraid of Chinatown- unless you're out at night, it's quite safe, and even at night I think the young drunks are more of a problem than the homeless.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:35 PM

20 posts, read 30,962 times
Why not the Vintage Plaza?

Pazzo is better than Red Star and Three Degrees, more intimate and not as flashy as the Monaco or the RiverPlace, and you are closer to the brewery blocks and the Pearl!

Old 04-18-2013, 10:17 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,561,057 times
She is using points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland