Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 08:17 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Well...since my plates don't look like regular CA plates, I think I can get away with it. And yes, I'm told to get rid of mine too. Honestly, it'll depend if I can get any money back on my tags. I'm not going to waste $350 dollars just so ppl dislike me less.
It has nothing to do with people disliking you. Not registering your vehcle is considered a Class D Traffic violation and if caught, there could be a fine.

Oregon DMV Oregon Residency & Domicile

Old 06-05-2013, 08:17 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,072,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Rent: $450 to $2,000 per month, first and last plus a deposit generally the same as the rent.
Is that through private rentals? Because so far, through most apartment rentals, there is not first, last, and deposit equaling rent. It's been first month and deposits are like $300 or less. That's what I've been seeing. I'm sure private rentals are different though.

Quote:
Electric: Expect electric bills between $100 and $300 a month
Definitely will have to keep an eye on my electricity usage.

Quote:
Natural Gas: More like a minimum of $10 in the summer and $100 four to six months a year. Our last for May was $35.
So far, most apts I'm looking at don't have gas, so I'm hoping $100 won't be the case.

Quote:
Internet: We pay $29.95 for Internet and Landline Phone combined with unlimited long distance and internet.

Cable: We get 31 channels on Broadcast. Don't need cable
This is good to hear.

Quote:
Auto questions: High, maybe not as high as California, but license and drivers license are high. Also manditory to register when you move here no matter how much you have on your other plates unexpired.
Mandatory just means when the cop pulls me over and tickets me to get my license and change my plates. Unless I can get back some money on my tags. Like I said, I'm not wasting $350. Just like I'm not licensing my dogs (where I live now) because their licenses don't expire for another 2 years in another city (if you move btwn cities, their license aren't transferable). But thanks for the warning.

OMG. I did look up the DL fees. $67 for Class C, $144 (or $83) to add my motorcycle license?!?!? Holy crappola that's expensive. The Class C really isn't anymore expensive (if you break it down by how long it's good for), but DANG on the moto license. I'd like to keep that. Sheesh.

Quote:
Insurance is less. Unless you are under 25. Then it is nearly unafordable unless you are on a parental policy living in their home.
Thankfully I'm not under 25. Shoots. that's what I was going to do today. Call and find out.

Thanks for the numbers. This helps me figure out a realistic budget (even if it is in ranges).

Old 06-05-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
All of the questions you're asking (except the car registration) are relative to your use and where you live. But I think you're over thinking it--it's really not going to be much different. And you also may not be paying for parking. I live in an area where parking is coveted and I have a free spot that comes with my unit. You're not moving to another country--basic services are not that different wherever you go. Whatever you spend now is probably close to what you'll spend here on most things.
I totally understand where you're coming from, however, let's be real, things can be extremely different depending on where you live (city wise, not apt wise). Even here in SoCal, city wise, different utilties (water, cable) means different prices. Some people pay an arm and leg for basic cable ($80), others pay little ($30). Depending on where you get your water can mean the difference between a $25 bill and a $75 bill. I'm serious.

So, I'll have to go with, I'm not really over thinking it, when me moving 15 miles could mean a $100-200 difference in utilities just because I switched cities, electric companies, water companies, and cable companies. I've had it happen, it's not pretty.

Me moving 1,000 miles away to a different state, different utilities, different ways to handle trash, sewer, water, etc could mean a big difference in monthly expenses. I know I can afford it, but at the same time, I don't want to spend more money in a year there, than I would here, on basics. Or if I'm going to, I want to know I'm going to.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
It has nothing to do with people disliking you. Not registering your vehcle is considered a Class D Traffic violation and if caught, there could be a fine.

Oregon DMV Oregon Residency & Domicile
All I'm going to say is this. I'm not saying it's not illegal. I understand that's the law. What I am saying is that I don't care.

So, for anyone else who'd like to point out to me that it's the law, please refrain. I understand the law, I realize I am breaking it. I'm fine with that (I break a lot of other traffic laws - as do many people and not even realize it). If I get fined for it, I promise I won't complain about it on the forum.

ETA: Minervah, the "hostility" in this post isn't directed at you personally. I just want anyone reading this, that they don't have to repeatedly tell me I HAVE to do it, because it's the law. I realize that and I hope anyone reading this also realizes that yes, you should register your car and not speed and follow the laws, but I'm choosing not to and that's my business.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:45 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,632,363 times
"What I'm saying is I don't care..."

Well, hopefully that's not going to be your attitude in general because the Southern California I don't give a crap attitude really doesn't fly in Oregon. Even in the Bay Area it was detested.

And following the laws or not is not just YOUR business, it affects everyone here.
When my family come to visit from So CA they always mention how nice everyone is here compared to where they live. And it would be nice if people kind of adapted to the area, not move here with an attitude. Everyone has been more than helpful to you on this forum. There's really no need to be nasty. You're not going to have a good experience here (as in Portland) if this is the way you respond to people, and yes, you do need to register your car here because the cops pay close attention to the out of state plates.

As to your response to me, I am not stupid--I realize that rates can vary from town to town and city to city. Having moved here from San Francisco I get that there are differences, but I still stand by the fact that you're over thinking it and there's no way anyone can give you all the info you want until they find out where you're living, who you're choosing as your internet provider, who insures your car, etc. The rates will vary drastically depending where you live and how big your house is. But for the most part things really aren't going to be that different assuming you're planning to live in a similar fashion. Have you ever moved to a different state before? Because it sure seems like you haven't.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
"What I'm saying is I don't care..."

Well, hopefully that's not going to be your attitude in general because the Southern California I don't give a crap attitude really doesn't fly in Oregon. Even in the Bay Area it was detested.

And following the laws or not is not just YOUR business, it affects everyone here.
When my family come to visit from So CA they always mention how nice everyone is here compared to where they live. And it would be nice if people kind of adapted to the area, not move here with an attitude. Everyone has been more than helpful to you on this forum. There's really no need to be nasty. You're not going to have a good experience here (as in Portland) if this is the way you respond to people, and yes, you do need to register your car here because the cops pay close attention to the out of state plates.
Sigh. Here's my short explanation to my "attitude". My core values are based on human beings having choices. No one has to do anything they don't want to. That doesn't mean there aren't consequences (legally or otherwise, like affecting ppl). It just means we all have choices. I have a choice to register my car immediately or not and I understand the consequences (thank you everyone for letting me know). So being told I "have" to do something, law breaking or not, never sits well with me. It's a fault, I get stubborn, I know. But I don't like my choices being taken away from me either.

Quote:
As to your response to me, I am not stupid--I realize that rates can vary from town to town and city to city. Having moved here from San Francisco I get that there are differences, but I still stand by the fact that you're over thinking it and there's no way anyone can give you all the info you want until they find out where you're living, who you're choosing as your internet provider, who insures your car, etc. The rates will vary drastically depending where you live and how big your house is.
I never once said you were stupid. This is so contradictory. If I knew exactly where I was going to live, I wouldn't even be asking for "generalizations" from people because I'd call up the utilities and find out myself. And yet, the whole question would still be useless even if I did say, I'm going to live in this apt complex, use this provider, etc. Because unless someone has lived or lives there now, things will always be different anyways. You do realize I get that, right? I'm trying to get some averages. Averages that aren't listed in other places (meaning city-data has a ton of wonderful stats, but nothing on utilities).

Let me tell you what I've learned so far from my over thinking. I've learned that although rent is lower in OR (ave. about $500), other things will offset that lower price. Meaning, I will probably save about $200/mo. Not the big savings as I thought initially. It's a good thing I realize I won't be saving as much as I thought, don't you agree? Again, I'd rather not be B-slapped by reality.

Quote:
But for the most part things really aren't going to be that different assuming you're planning to live in a similar fashion.
I would agree to a point. That point being that there are some big differences that are going to cause monetary differences (especially electricity).

Quote:
Have you ever moved to a different state before? Because it sure seems like you haven't.
Um. What makes you think that? The fact that I don't know what utilities are like outside of SoCA? Oh, btw, thanks for that insult. And no, I haven't ever moved out of state before, why do you think I'm trying to find out so much information?!?!?! Like I said, I really don't want to be B-slapped by reality when I get there. I want to know what I'm in for BEFORE I move. I also want to make sure that I'm budgeting realistically. How many posts have you seen from some very unrealistic expectations? I'm trying not to be one of those people who end up saying, "I'm here, this place sucks" because of my bad planning or lack of information.

I'm sorry if you still think I'm over thinking things. Hopefully not everyone thinks I'm as annoying because I have gotten some great information from the people that have responded to me and they (including yourself) has made this move a little less stressful by what little (or lots) information I've received. I hope to one day pay it back and share my moving experience. I have been on msg boards helping ppl, I know how repetitive it can get answering the same questions.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:51 AM

775 posts, read 1,259,906 times
I made the mistake of keeping both my CA plates and drivers license after I moved here. That was certainly one fine I could have gone without paying.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:47 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,342,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Well...since my plates don't look like regular CA plates, I think I can get away with it. And yes, I'm told to get rid of mine too. Honestly, it'll depend if I can get any money back on my tags. I'm not going to waste $350 dollars just so ppl dislike me less.
Nothing about dislike. If you work here you must get in-state plates. You are not going to get any money back on your tags.

You do have to do it if it is the law. Fines are very high here. Out of state plates will mean you will be stopped often if you frequent the same place often, like work or school or a residence. You must also take the driving/riding test with a motorcycle in Oregon even if you have a current out of state endorsement. To say you don't care does two things. One it sets you up for a big fine. And two it means you may not be that welcome in Oregon with your cavalier "I don't care” attitude.

You may think “Well I’ll just park in a different place every day.” Cool except the officer’s patrol a lot more area than you want to walk everyday. It’s their job, and when it comes to out of state plate cheaters, they seem to do it very well.

Last edited by Steve Pickering; 06-06-2013 at 11:57 AM..

Old 06-06-2013, 04:15 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,358,757 times
I'm going to keep out of this and just give some facts that apply to me.

I live alone in a 30 year old, well insulated 3 bedroom, 1400 sq ft. house.

Here are my monthly utility costs:

Electricity $52 (Monthly equal pay)

Water/Sewer $64 (Monthly avg. - billed every 3 months)

Garbage $30 (Monthly avg - billed every 2 months) Includes all recycling and every other week

garbage pickup.

Gas $78 (Monthly equal pay plan) I have forced air gas heat, gas stove and water heater.

Phone, internet and cabled are all bundled so that cost won't be useful to you. And I do love my premium channels.

I'm retired so am home most of the day. I turn off the heat at night unless temps are below freezing, which is rare. I do most of my cooking on the gas range. I rarely have lamps and lights all turned on and run the washer, dryer or dishwasher maybe once a week, so I often wonder why my electricity bill is as high as it is. I have central air, but I'm not sure if that is gas or electric powered. I maybe use it 10-15 days a year and usually not even all day and night unless there is a rare heat wave. Also there are several days in the year when I turn the heat on in the morning and then the A/C in the afternoon.

Now maybe if someone who lives in a much larger house, and someone who lives in a studio apartment could chime in with their rates, you might have a range of prices you can count on.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:48 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,342,906 times
If you do not have Gas Heat, expect triple the electric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland