Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 09:38 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,072,165 times

Advertisements

Also, this is a great salary estimator. It's pretty accurate. You can see what you'd really make in OR versus CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 10:54 AM

320 posts, read 417,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
These overpriced sales in California make Oregon too attractive to out-of-stater's fed-up with California.
Yes, very true.....that and the beautiful scenery, the cooler weather, clean air, proximity to the coast, Seattle, the Olympic Peninsula and the opportunity to live a more "outdoor" lifestyle without dying in the heat

Old 09-14-2013, 07:34 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,342,906 times
In the years I lived in California (Late 1958 to late 1963), I don't remember not having an outdoor lifestyle. And I loved the weather.

But I have liked everyplace I ever lived.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:36 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Winco is 5% to 15% lower than Wal-Mart on many items. But Wal-Mart is on average 20% lower than Fred Myers, Safeway and Albertsons, and 25% lower than Roth's. Yes, Winco is mostly 30% to 45% lower than Roth's. They cater to those who detest Wal-Mart, and wouldn't be caught dead in a Winco.
I feel sorry for you folks because you don't have a Sherm's. Prices at Sherm's are comparable to Costco, with more reasonable packaging and quantities, plus no membership fee. Produce is fresh and local when available. Service is outstanding; the store manager is on the floor for hours a day. Walmart is expensive by comparison. I use Safeway like a convenience store, when I just need a few things.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:37 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,342,906 times
Winco is more economical than Sherm's. I will have to price compare, but knowing Sherm's I can guarantee they are higher than Wal-Mart. And Costco is not that big a bargain.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:08 AM
FSF

261 posts, read 312,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWdreamin View Post
Yes, very true.....that and the beautiful scenery, the cooler weather, clean air, proximity to the coast, Seattle, the Olympic Peninsula and the opportunity to live a more "outdoor" lifestyle without dying in the heat

I think your statements are very unfair to California. It has all kinds of beautiful scenery. The weather is certainly cooler here (which I personally like) but most people in life seem to prefer California weather, even many in Portland. It's no where near "dying the in the heat" except for just a few months and that's only in the central valley and other inland areas. The majority of the populace live in areas that most people find to be ideal weather for the most part. Most of those areas are substantially closer to the coast than Portland.

What's more, the "coast" in California actually has more functionality (lay out beaches, surf weather, etc.) than Oregon. Not sure what the big deal about being closer to Seattle is (as it's really not that close anyway) and I really don't think most people would care. Are there really THAT many people that frequent Seattle and live in Portland?

There are PLENTY of outdoor activities in California, and it's probably hands down WAY better for that as it doesn't rain anywhere near that much, let alone to the drastic extent it does in Portland, causing those outdoor activities to be undoable for much of the time.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:28 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,632,363 times
I understand the being close to Seattle part--if you live in CA the two largest cities are 400 miles away from each other. Sure, there's Sacramento, and Santa Barbara, and even San Jose and San Diego, but when you live in SF or LA the only other truly large city is 7-8 hours away.

Seattle is 3. Makes it better somehow. You can also drive to Vancouver, Canada in about 6 hours so you have two other large cities to visit in less than the time it takes to drive SF to LA.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:55 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSF View Post
I think your statements are very unfair to California. It has all kinds of beautiful scenery. The weather is certainly cooler here (which I personally like) but most people in life seem to prefer California weather, even many in Portland. It's no where near "dying the in the heat" except for just a few months and that's only in the central valley and other inland areas. The majority of the populace live in areas that most people find to be ideal weather for the most part. Most of those areas are substantially closer to the coast than Portland.

What's more, the "coast" in California actually has more functionality (lay out beaches, surf weather, etc.) than Oregon. Not sure what the big deal about being closer to Seattle is (as it's really not that close anyway) and I really don't think most people would care. Are there really THAT many people that frequent Seattle and live in Portland?

There are PLENTY of outdoor activities in California, and it's probably hands down WAY better for that as it doesn't rain anywhere near that much, let alone to the drastic extent it does in Portland, causing those outdoor activities to be undoable for much of the time.
"Ideal" weather or anything else, is subjective. You're addressing people who have chosen to live in Portland. Personally, I think Portland's weather is ideal. For me. If you prefer California's ... live there.

"Drastic extent" as a description of the rain is kind of an exaggeration, isn't it? It rains more in most cities across the country than it does in Portland. It's certainly not "drastic." You do know what that word means, don't you? And the outdoorsy people ... they don't really let a little light rain deter them.

Besides, who says that anyone has to be fair to California? This is the Portland Forum. If you want to recommend California ... try the California board.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:24 AM
FSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
"Ideal" weather or anything else, is subjective. You're addressing people who have chosen to live in Portland. Personally, I think Portland's weather is ideal. For me. If you prefer California's ... live there.

"Drastic extent" as a description of the rain is kind of an exaggeration, isn't it? It rains more in most cities across the country than it does in Portland. It's certainly not "drastic." You do know what that word means, don't you? And the outdoorsy people ... they don't really let a little light rain deter them.

Besides, who says that anyone has to be fair to California? This is the Portland Forum. If you want to recommend California ... try the California board.

First off, I agree weather is subjective and it's more "ideal" for me as well, as I stated. But most people in life generally don't seem to feel that way based on my travels and mixing with people and hearing their thoughts on "ideal" weather. Of course everyone's going to have their own opinion, as with everything in life.

I'm not suggesting there is a ton of rain in Portland, but it rains most of the days in the year. As opposed to CA, where your talking a total of a few weeks when adding up all the days in most areas where people reside. It doesn't take a genius to observe that there are A LOT less people out and about doing "outdoor" activities when it's raining. I'm not talking about going to the grocery store or movies or daily activities. But look at a football field or go to the mountains and there are clearly a lot less people out there engaging in those outdoor activities (hiking, football, soccer, etc.), because most people (even in Portland), don't want to do those things in the rain. Just because some do it (and some may even prefer it) doesn't exclude my comments from having merit.

Besides, who says people can't recommend or speak well of California in the Portland forum. Did I miss something and City Data made you the boss around here?

Old 09-15-2013, 03:37 AM
FSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
I understand the being close to Seattle part--if you live in CA the two largest cities are 400 miles away from each other. Sure, there's Sacramento, and Santa Barbara, and even San Jose and San Diego, but when you live in SF or LA the only other truly large city is 7-8 hours away.

Seattle is 3. Makes it better somehow. You can also drive to Vancouver, Canada in about 6 hours so you have two other large cities to visit in less than the time it takes to drive SF to LA.

San Jose, San Diego and Sacramento all have populations comparable, or maybe even larger, than Seattle. And living in SF Bay Area or LA, it is so much larger than Portland that it's apples and oranges and there is less to get away for. Also, LA is only few hours from Las Vegas, one of the most visited cities in the world, and completely unique, if you're into that sort of thing, which obviously tons of adults are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland