Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 09:36 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
It has always been called a tax. Until recently when they decided they didn't want a public vote. Then they changed it to a fee, which they will add to the water bill for collection.

That is what I thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 10:03 PM

846 posts, read 610,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Fees are the new TAX. No vote of the people and can be set at any level. Watch who you vote for.
Now this is funny and a little sad. There is only one political party in the city of Portland. The media and other factions refuse to have it any other way.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe11 View Post
Now this is funny and a little sad. There is only one political party in the city of Portland. The media and other factions refuse to have it any other way.
That is not true.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:18 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
I recently read about the new tax being proposed and pushed by the City Council. It is being masked as a "Fee" to avoid a public vote and will like pass the city council next week.

It will start with a new $6.00/month. The second yr it goes up to $9.00/month. The third yr it goes up to $12/month. The "fee" will be added to your water bill. There is no cap. And there is no end.

The money would be used to hire 25 more city employees. The balance would be used as 10% for sidewalk improvements. 40% for bike lanes. 50% for roads.

If this were to go to the ballot, would you support it? And do you think Portland has high taxes already, low taxes or just right?
I love taxes and hope more get levied.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:04 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
I imagine they're lumping it into the water bill as those bills are already so high that some people won't even notice the tax lumped in.

Unless there are details the media just hasn't shared, from what I've seen Novick is a long way from actually having a plan that's 'shovel ready.' While I think there are a few good ideas in there (retro-fitting a bridge or two for seismic stability) it's not clear this is good enough to vote on.

It should also at least be designed to sunset, since as best I can tell all the bulk of what he's proposed for this tax are one-time projects rather than ongoing maintenance.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:08 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
I don't trust them....

Old 06-02-2014, 10:26 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
What do you want to bet that the neighborhood streets that really need fixing won't get fixed?
For example the famous unpaved streets of the Woodstock neighborhood among others?

It will be the high visibility main streets, using big-time contractors who have connections with city hall that get spiffed up...
Cronyism is a long standing Portland political tradition.

Your neighborhood streets will remain untouched, cracked, full of potholes, and neglected.
If you complain, city hall will guide you to their programs where you and your neighbors foot the bill and they get all the glory.

One of these days, Portland may get a city government that the citizens can trust, but I don't see that happening soon.

On the flip side what typically happens, is that the Portland residents grumble and complain, but at the last minute fold and bend over.

Novick had the audacity to say that they are going to do it no matter what the citizens think, and if they don't like it, the citizens can vote them out next election time.

He knows full well what short memories the people of Portland have, how politically apathetic they are, and how a little bit of fancy politikin' come election time erases all the bad memories.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 06-02-2014 at 10:36 AM..

Old 06-02-2014, 02:24 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
I also firmly believe that the Memorial Day Weekend E. Coli scare was a smokescreen to deflect any bad publicity from Hales and the council.

It just seemed that in the end, it was a big to-do over nothing, had perfect timing, and was too convenient.

It seems like other than this thread, nobody is talking about it seriously anymore, and I believe it has been handled "Portland Style".

Old 06-02-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
... ...

It seems like other than this thread, nobody is talking about it seriously anymore, and I believe it has been handled "Portland Style".
Kinda like they do in Chicago huh?

Old 06-02-2014, 03:05 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
I could not believe the wishy-washy column in the Oregonian this weekend about this 'fee'. I would love to see a well written critique of this action by folks in the know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland