Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2014, 11:18 AM

14 posts, read 25,822 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We live in Bay area. Our close friends (a couple) live in Portland, OR. They have been going through a difficult marriage. We are trying to help but nothing is working. Wife is planning to move out. We are afraid that this step will just make their relationship worse.

Can anyone please recommend some relationship counselor in Portland area? How much is the cost in Portland area for each session?

Thanks,
-Sena
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 03:08 PM

605 posts, read 705,179 times
My sister is a licensed psychologist and she has recommended PsychologyToday.com as a good starting point to find any psychologist, psychiatrist, or therapist, when I was searching for one. There are filters on there that you can use to narrow your search for specialities, therapy approaches, location, acceptance of different insurance, etc.

Though, I would say that your close friends should be the ones who actively search for someone who best fits them, and what they are comfortable with, as a relationship or counseling therapist should be someone they could work with. Good luck to your friends.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:03 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Well... you are correct, her moving out will likely not make things "better" for the marriage. But... it must be said, the time to have brought this up was long before things reached this point. So... let it go. Let her go. You can be friends to them apart and maybe steer them back together, but maybe not. I don't have nearly enough backstory to make that judgement. But you should. What does your gut say about their chances? Be honest with yourself. Really. Do they need to spend $75/hr on top of whatever else they are dealing with? Is it likely to help?

H

Quote:
Originally Posted by sena2go View Post
Hello,

We live in Bay area. Our close friends (a couple) live in Portland, OR. They have been going through a difficult marriage. We are trying to help but nothing is working. Wife is planning to move out. We are afraid that this step will just make their relationship worse.

Can anyone please recommend some relationship counselor in Portland area? How much is the cost in Portland area for each session?

Thanks,
-Sena

Old 12-10-2014, 02:56 PM

605 posts, read 705,179 times
As long as both parties are willing to try to make the marriage work (honestly try), marriage counselling CAN work. However if only one party is willing and the other is just "being dragged along", it will almost certainly fail.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:54 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,575 times
Have these people even ASKED for the help? I'd be pretty peeved if other people were setting up counseling for me if I hadn't asked for it. I assume they're adults who can make their own decisions? It's a nice gesture but marriage counseling needs to be something they do on their own, not something you help them into.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:24 AM

12 posts, read 12,142 times
Sena2Go, you may already have this, but here is a link to the Oregon Marriage and Family Therepists Association you can check out until someone who has a personal recommendation for you responds:

American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy - Oregon Division - Home

There are a lot of people in these forums, do continue to check your post, someone who has a recommendation may come forth, or contact you directly rather than post publicly.

Best to you!

Last edited by MonicaRae; 12-13-2014 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 12-28-2014, 07:02 PM

14 posts, read 25,822 times
Thank you all for your comments, links and advices! I am going to forward the links to them and hopefully things will be better between them soon.

Wishing you all a very Happy New Year! You guys are wonderful help!

Old 12-28-2014, 07:40 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
Have these people even ASKED for the help? I'd be pretty peeved if other people were setting up counseling for me if I hadn't asked for it. I assume they're adults who can make their own decisions? It's a nice gesture but marriage counseling needs to be something they do on their own, not something you help them into.
Yes, I would be livid if family and friends interfered in my personal business. It's not like calling CPS for child abuse...this is their personal relationship. Off limits, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland