Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 05:57 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,910,068 times

Advertisements

I bought a house in Portland about six years ago and didn't have ant problems but had evidence of mice after a vacation... just once. All of my friends in NE Portland neighborhoods , not far from Irvington, have had no mice problems. I know this because I spoke to all of them about my visitors. I did know a family that transplanted to a very nice hood from the East coast and rented from a terrible landlord that did nothing about a mouse problem. It wasn't Irvington so a different landlord but sane problem. Sounds like opportunistic landlord problem which happens everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 08:59 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,532,782 times
but when the Mosers moved into the three-bedroom, three-bathroom home in April, they "were dismayed at the state of the premises and duly noted the issues in the initial walk-through," according to the suit. They stayed because they had no where else to go.

Translation:

Husband: this house is not that great. 3k for this place?
Wife: But it looked perfect, from the internet.
Husband: sigh. It's kinda crappy for the money. Let's look at a house in Hillsboro.
Wife: We will have them just fix all the issues and document everything for later.
Husband: sigh.. mmhem...sigh. ok

a month later.
Wife: I can't stand these ants in this house call and exterminator.
Husband: sigh.. ok

Wife: I don't like the color of this room, its too eggshelly.
Husband: sigh.
Wife: well, I bet the land lord will reimburse us. Lets just paint it.
Husband: sigh. I'll call a contractor.

2 months later
Wife: I'm so mad they haven't done anything.
Husband: Well, we did ... never mind, I'm always wrong.

55 burnt-out light bulbs...
on a string of Christmas lights in the back yard? I only have 27 lights in my entire house... so something is up there.

"At no time did they consent to live in premises with these issues," the suit states.

uh yes they did. Property management companies are not dumb. If they signed and took the key and moved in, they consented legally.

Because the Mosers believed the home's issues would be resolved, they spent more than $2,600 on paint and plaster repair and $792 to hire an ant and mouse exterminator, the suit says.

Facepalm. They obviously hired a contractor whoovercharged.

According to a rental website, the home was put back on the market for $3,150 per month -- $150 more than the Mosers were paying. The home has since rented.

lol, geeeze....I guess the house isn't that bad.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:00 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I bought a house in Portland about six years ago and didn't have ant problems but had evidence of mice after a vacation... just once. All of my friends in NE Portland neighborhoods , not far from Irvington, have had no mice problems. I know this because I spoke to all of them about my visitors. I did know a family that transplanted to a very nice hood from the East coast and rented from a terrible landlord that did nothing about a mouse problem. It wasn't Irvington so a different landlord but sane problem. Sounds like opportunistic landlord problem which happens everywhere.
Heck, my apartment has had an issue with ants and mice since we moved in because sometimes field mice and ants find their way into the apartment. We were able to figure out the source and fixed the problem fairly easy.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:50 PM

148 posts, read 178,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisinet View Post
"A couple who moved from Austin, Texas, to Portland to be closer to their first grandchild are suing their former landlord -- claiming that their $3,000-a-month rental was plagued by ants, mice and mold."

"Christine and Michael Moser were promised a "high-end home" when they rented the Northeast Portland Tudor sight unseen in the city's hot rental market, according to the $14,382 lawsuit filed last week in Multnomah County Circuit Court."

$3,000-a-month 'high-end' Portland rental had mold, ants, mice, lawsuit claims | OregonLive.com
Who Cares

Old 10-23-2015, 10:55 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Ants are everywhere. Mice in Oregon come inside as the weather starts to cool off in the fall. Mice come into all levels of houses. They must be dealt with when they first come in so they don't multiply. Ants in the house are easy to deal with.

Ants and mice also come in to houses where people leave food out and available or don't take out the trash. Ants and mice aren't really something to sue about unless you file a suit against Mother nature.

Maybe there was mold and maybe not. A lot of mold in rentals is from tenants who refuse to use the bathroom and kitchen exhaust fans and who don't clean the bathroom like they should. If there was mold before they moved in, then the tenants should have refused to move in and been allowed to get out of the lease with no penalty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland