Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 09:29 AM

846 posts, read 609,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatUsernameIsTaken View Post
Just making it clear, I am not bashing or saying anything negative about Liberals in any way. I live around them constantly already. Just making sure it's safe walking to church and back, and finding a partner who shares my beliefs.

You did not say anything out of line. But if you want to know the sentiment, you have just experienced an example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 10:02 AM

71 posts, read 60,827 times
Portland is way over dramatized as a liberal mecca. Many of the younger group in Portland actually identify with the counter culture image, but are disconnected from 'what' actual values they support. I'm a pretty hard-core social liberal and have had countless conversations with people while living in various city neighborhoods. It will also depend on what part of the Portland metro you choose to live in. Many of the stereotypical Portland artsy areas do have churches of different sorts.

The Portland liberals are vastly different then the type we have down here in LA who are literally raging behind the steering wheel of a prius. The only thing to be scared of in Portland is getting your hair wet from the rain, and the bicyclists!

Old 11-11-2015, 12:19 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:
I see Portland as being rather attractive, being a no car needed city with a lot of people to meet and things to do. But I'm a little worried about how Liberal it is. I'm Conservative and a Christian, and I have no particular dislike of Liberals, but I'm worried about any hostility towards people like me. I don't go around flaunting my political side (I try to avoid talking openly about it as much as possible, almost none of my Liberal friends know and neither does my family). But I'm mostly worried about not finding a Christian man who shares my views in Portland. (I've heard about people going to strip clubs on dates there--yikes!)

Should I steer clear of Portland or do you think I could live there without much problem?
My take on it: While Portland is a less religious city than most, it is also tolerant (honestly, I think they're more tolerant of religion than they are of rightwing politics). But I also think there are more people of faith than is assumed to be, because there are certainly a lot of active churches and not all of them are Christian (for example, Buddhism is very active here, and there's even a Buddhist temple in Hillsboro).

People here can be mighty touchy about being approached about anything, though. The comment sounds a little snarky but that's not my intention. Unless you're going to try and indoctrinate, you will be absolutely fine.

I do find it a little bit disturbing that you "hide" yourself from family and friends so much. I don't delve into political discussions, either, but I don't give a rip if anyone know that I'm conservative.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:44 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Someone mentioned Happy Valley, but East Portland in general skews more politically moderate, and with a wide range of churches including a more evangelical bent (Missouri Synod, Adventist, etc.) and various Orthodox churches.

The hitch I can see would be that if you're coming here without a car most of those churches (at least the ones I know) will be harder to access on Sat/Sun by transit. If you'd be moving here with a car and are merely talking about wanting to live somewhere where you wouldn't need to drive every day, you'd have no issue.

That said, I'd imagine there are tons of churches I don't know, so if you're looking for a particularly denomination I'd start by searching for that. Whatever it is, it's probably here.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:50 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,964 times
I mean you will likely hear atheist sentiments at work usually in the form of slight and indirect ways.

One guy at work, if someone says bless you hell say "na I believe in actual remedies." Two machinists were at their machines one yells God Damm it and the other one goes well "If you believe in that sort of thing."

Or they will be talking about social justice warrior stuff in the break room and and mocking fake Christians, that doesn't really bother me anyway. It's never in your face stuff.

Also, even as Christians your beliefs and mine may be different. I know a young man and his girlfriend split because he did not believe in the wacky stuff Pentecostals do, and I know young Christian men who dated Adventists and found Adventisim was a bit out there.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:59 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,143 times
Quote:
But I'm a little worried about how Liberal it is. I'm Conservative and a Christian, and I have no particular dislike of Liberals, but I'm worried about any hostility towards people like me.
Assuming this isn't a joke post I'm going to say you may be annoyed living there as a Conservative Christian. It's not in your face (other than the militant left thing), but then again Portland isn't confrontational about much of anything. Not exactly tolerant either. More of a group think place. And if you don't think like they do the most common response is to get out.

It's one of the least religious areas and it's noticeable.

How do you feel about pagan imagery? The mall downtown always seems to put up that canvas covering with an image of Pan on it. Naked bike rides? And people in Santa suits drinking, passing out sex toys, and starting brawls on the Santa rampage?

Speaking of sex toys how do you feel about seeing two dildos tied together and flung over a telephone line or finding ice mold penises with toys inside in the park?

Old 11-11-2015, 06:12 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
I see Portland as being rather attractive, being a no car needed city with a lot of people to meet and things to do. But I'm a little worried about how Liberal it is. I'm Conservative and a Christian, and I have no particular dislike of Liberals, but I'm worried about any hostility towards people like me. I don't go around flaunting my political side (I try to avoid talking openly about it as much as possible, almost none of my Liberal friends know and neither does my family). But I'm mostly worried about not finding a Christian man who shares my views in Portland. (I've heard about people going to strip clubs on dates there--yikes!)

Should I steer clear of Portland or do you think I could live there without much problem?
I talk about politics all the time without issue and I tend to vote conservatively. People tend to be receptive to my views, but my version of center-right politics is non-religious and I tend to be more centrist/indifferent on social and moral issues (I'm live and let live).

Old 11-11-2015, 06:17 PM

311 posts, read 348,437 times
I am not Christian (was raised Christian but no longer practice) and I have several Christian friends here that I am very close with. What I appreciate is that they have never tried to convert me. In other places I've lived I've been evangelized at much more frequently.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:22 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Just making it clear, I am not bashing or saying anything negative about Liberals in any way. I live around them constantly already. Just making sure it's safe walking to church and back, and finding a partner who shares my beliefs.
Yeah, no one is being attacked or anything like that because they are religious or conservative in this city....so you have nothing to worry about in that department....

Old 11-11-2015, 06:51 PM

82 posts, read 146,252 times
I find it interesting that people assume that Portland is some sort of atheist mecca. As a long time non-believer I have found the opposite to be true. The majority of people I know here are religious and many regularly attend religious services and are active in their religious communities. That being said - I have found that most people here are pretty low key about their beliefs and are tolerant/accepting of differing beliefs and opinions. We've moved around a lot and lived in places where religion is a far more dominant presence in people's lives (i.e. the first thing they ask you when meet them is what church you attend and actively try to recruit new congregants for their churches). In the 9 years we've spent in Portland we've only been asked a handful of times what church we belong to and no one has ever tried to convince us to attend any services with them.

In my opinion you can practice whatever you want here and it won't make a whole lot of difference to anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland