Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 07:29 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe11 View Post
Probably much more than you realize.
I don't have a crystal ball. I don't read minds. I can't read YOUR mind. I DO know over a dozen freshman and sophomores in local high schools, from my child's previous PPS school, who are doing as well or better as their peers who attended private school. The nice thing about a solid public school education is there is the exposure to a variety of students which is much more like "the real world". I honestly could care less where families moving here choose to send their children for elementary school as the schools are pretty crowded. I also believe that parents should do what's right for their families. I choose public education for many reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 11:59 PM

682 posts, read 1,579,466 times
To the OP - If you haven't done so already, check out West Hills Christian. Our 1st grader goes there along with several neighbor kids on our street and we love it. Good luck with your search.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:30 PM

846 posts, read 610,083 times
I think Oregon is doing better in the rankings these days. They are only in 37th place as the worst schools. I thought they were much higher.

States with the best (and worst) schools

Based on a number of factors, including investment and outcomes, Oregon’s public schools are ranked among the worst in the country. Only 12.8% of students in Oregon attend school districts that receive more annual per pupil funding than the national average of $11,667. Overall, the average educational investment per pupil in Oregon is only $10,377. Fourth graders in the state lag behind most of their peers across the country in both math and reading. Only 37.1% of fourth graders in the state are proficient in math, and 33.9.% of the same group are proficient in reading. Students with wealthier parents tend to do better in school, and the typical household in Oregon’s income is roughly $2,600 less than the corresponding national figure.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:20 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
The near bankruptcy of some Oregon Counties, poverty in the former wood products communities, doubtless contributes to this problem.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:43 PM

3 posts, read 2,097 times
How much do you want to spend? OES and Catlin Gabel are over $20k per year. My kids attended St Cecilias which was about a quarter of the price and they received a great education. St Pious and St John Fisher are also good schools for the same price as St. C. Anyone who tells you the public schools in Beaverton are good are incorrect. There are so many kids learning English in the Elementary schools that half the class is in Spanish and is holding up the educational progress of the others. Gangs are trolling the Middle Schools looking for vulnerable kids to Jump In. I coached a soccer team in Beaverton and did everything in my power to keep one Hispanic kid out of a gang. He was in 6th grade and had been beaten up badly twice by a gang who wanted him to join. Luckily my law enforcement friends were able to get the School's Resource Officer to look after him. Talking to the other Hispanic kids on the team was a real eye opener. They told me of the violence going on at the Middle Schools and kids who carry guns and knives to school for protection. The gangs may not be targeting Caucasian kids, but they could be caught in the middle of the violence. I grew up in Beaverton and still live there and attended public schools all the way through. Don't get me wrong, it is not South Central LA, but gangs are a reality. It is true that Nancy Riles is a great school, but it is in a neighborhood where the average home price is well over $500k so they do not have the problems the other schools have that have a mixture of Upper Middle, Middle and Lower income neighborhoods. Good luck with your search.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:24 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiseppe View Post
How much do you want to spend? OES and Catlin Gabel are over $20k per year. My kids attended St Cecilias which was about a quarter of the price and they received a great education. St Pious and St John Fisher are also good schools for the same price as St. C. Anyone who tells you the public schools in Beaverton are good are incorrect. There are so many kids learning English in the Elementary schools that half the class is in Spanish and is holding up the educational progress of the others. Gangs are trolling the Middle Schools looking for vulnerable kids to Jump In. I coached a soccer team in Beaverton and did everything in my power to keep one Hispanic kid out of a gang. He was in 6th grade and had been beaten up badly twice by a gang who wanted him to join. Luckily my law enforcement friends were able to get the School's Resource Officer to look after him. Talking to the other Hispanic kids on the team was a real eye opener. They told me of the violence going on at the Middle Schools and kids who carry guns and knives to school for protection. The gangs may not be targeting Caucasian kids, but they could be caught in the middle of the violence. I grew up in Beaverton and still live there and attended public schools all the way through. Don't get me wrong, it is not South Central LA, but gangs are a reality. It is true that Nancy Riles is a great school, but it is in a neighborhood where the average home price is well over $500k so they do not have the problems the other schools have that have a mixture of Upper Middle, Middle and Lower income neighborhoods. Good luck with your search.
Wow! Really? My son's Beaverton elementary school is as highly rated as Nancy Ryles and a house can be found well under 500K. There are no gangs roaming the halls of my older child's middle school either. I think your sample size, "one Hispanic kid" and your recent experiences are too limited and not relevant.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:48 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'm with Yankeemama on this one. I have two kids that went through Beaverton elementary and middle schools that have high percentages of Latino kids and there was no problem at all. There was no issue at all with taking away lesson time to accommodate the Spanish speakers, no issue with gangs.

I'm not doubting Guiseppe's anecdote about the kid he dealt with, but my experience after 6 years (and counting) in the schools would tell me that that was an isolated incident, not commonplace.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:18 PM

810 posts, read 852,184 times
Quote:
Do you like St Cecillas? My daughter did catechism there one year. We now belong to St Anthony Parish. But she goes to public school. I am thinking maybe doing middle school in a private school if we can. The schools are so overcrowded and it scares me to think she is going to be going to a huge middle school.

I agree Nancy Ryles is a great school but look at the neighborhood and you can see why. I am sure Vose is not as good and look where it is located. I guess location play a big part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland