Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 09:04 AM

59 posts, read 168,930 times

Advertisements

Since there's a thread asking "Are there any good men in PDX," let's ask the requisite question about the females in PDX.

As some of you may know, I recently was flown to PDX last week by a prospective employer, who subsequently has made me a formal offer. I am a mid-30's Texan, male, single, professional, laid-back; I like to dress well, go out, play hard, have fun, etc...I'm definitely not the "passive-aggressive, keep to themselves type of person" I always hear Northwesterners described as...I'm pretty much the complete opposite.

In my three days in PDX, we went out two nights...once in the burbs, and once downtown. I saw a lot of granola types...which doesn't bother me at all; but, I also saw a lot of non-granola types. I wasn't there long enough to get a feel for the vibe of the social scene, so my questions are:

What is the social scene...for the type of guy I described above? And, what are PDX women like, in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 09:08 AM
hts

762 posts, read 2,162,586 times
"granola types". called it. there's nothing wrong with hairy legs/armpits. i especially like to see a nice pair of hairy legs being suffocated by some nylons--that's always a good look. if you were into granola types, you wouldn't have had to add the comment that they don't bother you at all. i'm not suggesting they do bother you, but i think one can safely conclude that you're also not into crunchy, which i believe is the bread-and-butter in portland.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:19 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoma14410 View Post
I am a mid-30's Texan, male, single, professional, laid-back; I like to dress well, go out, play hard, have fun, etc...I'm definitely not the "passive-aggressive, keep to themselves type of person" I always hear Northwesterners described as...I'm pretty much the complete opposite.

I wasn't there long enough to get a feel for the vibe of the social scene, so my questions are:

What is the social scene...for the type of guy I described above? And, what are PDX women like, in general?
OK, I will take the first swing at this as I pack my car to go to Seattle for the weekend.

In another thread, I talk about Portland people and it could have applied to the women as well. So I will reiterate. It is the city of 4 equally size slices of pie, more or less:

25 % of the women are too earthy and too granola. For me, it is an instant turn-off. Instant.

25 % of the women are a little backwaters for my taste. The non-violent version of Tonya Harding. They tend to live in outer SE, around Foster and I-205.

25 % of the women are the princesses that went to U of O and OSU, were in a sorority, only date fraternity types*, kept the same friends from high school, returned to PDX and are still friends with the same people 10 years later. They are not interested in new people, it seems. (*) however, if you fit this description and aren't local, you still don't fit into her larger social circle with will inevitably be stocked with locals.

25 % is the "wild card." This includes the transplants, Oregonians who have left to experience living and studying in other places which has in turn made them more receptive to others, "locals" who are independent enough to be who they want to be and not fit into categories (1) (2) (3), and foreign immigrants.

If anybody wants to accuse me of steretyping, and I know the above is convenient, you can "go to hell" because I've included category 4 which means a good 25 % of the people don't fall into any identifiable pattern.

My Texan friend, you want to pick your friends and dates from Category 4. Also, unless you are in a very corporate/reputable type of setting, most people don't get flown to Portland and get offered a job. They come up here and look on their own, which is so granola in and of itself. It was an eye-opener to me after being sent a ticket to go from LAX to ATL to interview and get a job offer. By the way, what part of Texas do you hail from?

Old 03-01-2008, 09:42 AM

25 % of the women are too earthy and too granola. For me, it is an instant turn-off. Instant.
I won't say this is an instant turn off, but hairy armpits/legs/etc. is definitely NOT my cup of tea. I've known some granola types in Austin, but there wasn't any excess body hair involved...

25 % of the women are a little backwaters for my taste. The non-violent version of Tonya Harding. They tend to live in outer SE, around Foster and I-205.
I was a little confused by this description...I guess it would be analogous to someone in East Texas who, shall we say, isn't the epitome of culture and class? Please enlighten me.

25 % of the women are the princesses that went to U of O and OSU, were in a sorority, only date fraternity types*, kept the same friends from high school, returned to PDX and are still friends with the same people 10 years later. They are not interested in new people, it seems. (*) however, if you fit this description and aren't local, you still don't fit into her larger social circle with will inevitably be stocked with locals.
Similar to a lot of women in certain parts of Dallas, Houston and to a lesser extent in Austin...and I've dated many of these...some good, some bad.
25 % is the "wild card." This includes the transplants, Oregonians who have left to experience living and studying in other places which has in turn made them more receptive to others, "locals" who are independent enough to be who they want to be and not fit into categories (1) (2) (3), and foreign immigrants.

If anybody wants to accuse me of steretyping, and I know the above is convenient, you can "go to hell" because I've included category 4 which means a good 25 % of the people don't fall into any identifiable pattern.
It doesn't sound like stereotyping, whatsoever. It's the kind of opinion/insight I was initially seeking.

My Texan friend, you want to pick your friends and dates from Category 4. Also, unless you are in a very corporate/reputable type of setting, most people don't get flown to Portland and get offered a job. That's one of the main reasons I'm even considering the move...the company impressed me greatly. They come up here and look on their own, which is so granola in and of itself. It was an eye-opener to me after being sent a ticket to go from LAX to ATL to interview and get a job offer. By the way, what part of Texas do you hail from? Austin.

I guess I'm attracted to someone who comfortable in flip flops and a baseball hat...laid back/confident/intelligent, yet knows the difference between a real and fake Prada purse.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:31 AM

Now, you noticed I stated "...knows the difference between a fake and real Prada purse." Believe me, I've dated the Prada purse woman...fun for a while, then it gets really old and expensive!!! The "knows" the difference comment was meant to convey that I appreciate a woman with some sense of style...

Old 03-01-2008, 12:13 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,260 times
I've lived in Portland most of my adult life (20+ yrs), so while I'm currently interested in moving on, I can give you a pretty accurate assessment. This even though I'm married and father of four (I still notice a pretty woman!).

First, the "granola" label or stereotype in Portland is always hugely overstated. Yes its there, but drop it to 10% or so. The rest that people want to throw in that group are simply girls who love the outdoors - climbing, skiing, etc. Trust me, many of these girls are very attractive.

The "backwater" assessment is probably fair. There are quite a few people in the Portland area that never aspired to higher ed, haven't traveled much, and aren't looking to go anywhere, particularly in the east side areas mentioned.

The sorority princesses are definitely a factor. Not my cup of tea.

The "prada" segment has been growing rapidly. To me they just represent the growing element in Portland that I view as shallow, consumerist, profit/money motivated, etc. They usually claim to be eco friendly because they just bought a Toyota Prius (or a Highlander hybrid once they're married). Again not my type.

Be aware though, that there are a fair number of successful women who are active, athletic, health conscious, etc. Portland attracts these women at least as well as any other type!

Turn about is fair play, hts. I've never been to Texas, but my impression of the women there (reinforced by a photo posted on another thread) is that they are raised in the Jean Bonet "beauty queen" culture ("Let's all put our 5 year olds in pageants to see whose the "purdiest!"). As a result they are shallow, overly concerned about appearances, and tend to wear too much make up. They have no "substance".

Old 03-01-2008, 12:34 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,162,586 times
perhaps. quite frankly, i'm not an expert on the women in either portland or austin. we live in n. virginia and have narrowed our upcoming relo to either austin (steiner ranch/lakeway area) or portland (lake oswego, maybe west linn). at 43 and with two young boys, i have better things to do these days then become an expert in a city's general single women population. was simply sharing my perceptions, not that they're worth too much. (as an aside, i think we're leaning more toward austin then portland; i really don't think we/i could tolerate the constant dreariness/grey/gloomy weather for weeks/months on end).

Old 03-01-2008, 12:40 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,258,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
IThe rest that people want to throw in that group are simply girls who love the outdoors - climbing, skiing, etc. Trust me, many of these girls are very attractive.
Thank you. I knew from the number of men who have hit on me thru the years that there are lots who like a woman like this

Quote:
Turn about is fair play, hts. I've never been to Texas, but my impression of the women there (reinforced by a photo posted on another thread) is that they are raised in the Jean Bonet "beauty queen" culture ("Let's all put our 5 year olds in pageants to see whose the "purdiest!"). As a result they are shallow, overly concerned about appearances, and tend to wear too much make up. They have no "substance".
Isn't this pretty much the sorority sister, prada type mentioned? Should be what he likes from his comment about Texan women, or at least doesn't mind that stuff.

Disclaimer: I've been to TX many times and there are a lot of different types of women there too. Not all are the overly made up beauty queens and if I don't win, I'll knee cap you. Oh yeah, Portland had that too - Tonya Harding

Old 03-01-2008, 12:49 PM

First, the "granola" label or stereotype in Portland is always hugely overstated. Yes its there, but drop it to 10% or so. The rest that people want to throw in that group are simply girls who love the outdoors - climbing, skiing, etc. Trust me, many of these girls are very attractive.
Which I do, as well. A woman can be the outdoors type and still take care of herself in that feminine way we love.

The "backwater" assessment is probably fair. There are quite a few people in the Portland area that never aspired to higher ed, haven't traveled much, and aren't looking to go anywhere, particularly in the east side areas mentioned.

The sorority princesses are definitely a factor. Not my cup of tea.
Coming from Texas, I bet these " Oregon princesses" have no clue what a sorority princess can be like.

The "prada" segment has been growing rapidly. To me they just represent the growing element in Portland that I view as shallow, consumerist, profit/money motivated, etc. They usually claim to be eco friendly because they just bought a Toyota Prius (or a Highlander hybrid once they're married). Again not my type.

Be aware though, that there are a fair number of successful women who are active, athletic, health conscious, etc. Portland attracts these women at least as well as any other type!
What are your thoughts on the whole NW people being so closed off from everyone???

Here's a succinct generalization of Texas women...
By and large, the prettiest women I've ever seen...well, except for that one woman who's now in Seattle...but, that's another story.

Dallas: High maintenance; car worshipers; pretentious; very concerned with appearances; have to have to right clothes, car, husband, etc.

Houston: Just as much $ as Dallas, though less pretentious; somewhat "backwater" as you described above; more culture than the Dallas woman, though, the Dallas woman would argue she has more style, and her BMW is newer; likes to dress up.

Austin: Laid back, educated, sometimes classified as granola, but just more the outdoors type; there are some high maintenance women in Austin, but it's not really the norm, though the numerous high rise condos downtown are attracting the "Dallas" type crowd/businesses every day; not very pretentious, unless we're talking about the Tarrytown crowd.

San Antonio: I don't know...I've never dated anyone from SA...probably laid back, family oriented; definitely not pretentious at all.

You also have different women with different attributes in West, North, South and East Texas...with East Texas having more of the backwater qualities you mentioned above.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:13 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,258,363 times
While I am not a Portland woman and am significantly older than you, I did grow up in the west and married a Texan. One thing I have noticed about Texan men is that they are quite friendly and forward. This ranges from just friendly and outgoing forward to harassment type of forward. I have no idea where you might range in this but women from the west might find some of that Texan type of friendliness to be uncomfortably friendly or interpret it as harassment. You just have to read the lady's signals and respond accordingly. Not all men do and what might be considered ok in Texas might not be received well in the west.

One of my brothers lives in TX and when he got married, he went out of his way to run interference for me with a couple of his male guests in a rather obvious way. He told me that they were not really very nice to women and was protecting me from them. A couple of others, he said were ok. I thought it a little funny because I was in my 40's at the time, but the men's behavior was also a little too much. Just a bit of a culture difference to be aware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland