Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 09:47 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
I would love to live in Oregon, especially Portland. The rain is not something to be so depressed about but it is something to embrace and enjoy especially since we don't get enough of it here in Los Angeles, not even near enough. Anyone that complains about constant rainfall probably has other unresolved issues in their life.
It's physiological with some people. SAD is no joke.

Typical Californian, trying to tell others how they should "feel" about something they haven't personally experienced.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:01 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
That's because you aren't at all aware of what its actually like to live in it in Portland. Rain in LA is wonderful, mild and brief. But we don't get the 3 days of 37 degree rain or low grey clouds for months on end. It doesn't bother all people (some like to stay home or are always at work) but some of us seek a lifestyle that is enhanced by good weather.
You are describing the life of a cubicle dweller. I worked outside in Oregon my whole life, in farming and construction, and the weather is not that uniform. Typically there is a 3-day storm that moves through a couple times a month, followed by ten days of "moist, unstable air," that results in colder temperatures but only partial cloud cover. The sun heats the air during the day and the overcast breaks up, but if the only thing you see is the morning and evening commute, you miss it.

Physically active people find the weather in the PNW to be very pleasant. Mostly all you need is light outer wear. Less active people will seek out a climate controlled environment and spend the majority of time inside. It's a lifestyle choice. Don't blame it on the weather.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:49 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
I would love to live in Oregon, especially Portland. The rain is not something to be so depressed about but it is something to embrace and enjoy especially since we don't get enough of it here in Los Angeles, not even near enough. Anyone that complains about constant rainfall probably has other unresolved issues in their life.
This statement is actually kind of mean and definitely insensitive. Some people do wind up suffering from SAD. That's a real thing, look it up.

I had a very dear friend living in Portland when I lived there who had this illness. I watched her struggle with it for nearly eight years trying everything the doctors prescribed. It only got worse. She didn't have any "unresolved issues" in her life. She never complained about the rainfall or the gloomy days while she was living in Portland. She loved Portland. But the illness just kept wearing away at her. Like any illness, it can't always be controlled. She eventually gave up and moved back to Florida where she had previously lived. After a little while she felt much better with all that sunshine they have there. Today she is a happy person again.

Others have had this problem. It's not all that common but it does happen. Don't judge or psychoanalyze people without knowing their story or maybe experiencing their situation yourself.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:02 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
My friends like to get together for a traditional Halloween bonfire. In the last 20 years it has been wet enough to safely have one just 6 times. The rest of the time it has not been wet enough to be lighting any big fires outside. The fire department is still limiting outdoor burn permits. Winter storms typically don't arrive until November. December is the wettest month. By February we are getting 10 day breaks in the rain, but things don't dry out for good until July.
I dread the dried out, smokey season.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:34 AM

7 posts, read 10,438 times
Some folks like the rain, some don't, some are impartial. How you feel about it tends to impact the activities you partake in during those rainy months. If you enjoy it or are not bothered by it, then good quality, light weight rain gear is your friend. When it's gray skies and many days of constant rain, it can get to you and affect ones mood.

Personally, I am used to it having lived here all my life... but, I absolutely do not like the rain.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:50 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
You are describing the life of a cubicle dweller. I worked outside in Oregon my whole life, in farming and construction, and the weather is not that uniform. Typically there is a 3-day storm that moves through a couple times a month, followed by ten days of "moist, unstable air," that results in colder temperatures but only partial cloud cover. The sun heats the air during the day and the overcast breaks up, but if the only thing you see is the morning and evening commute, you miss it.

Physically active people find the weather in the PNW to be very pleasant. Mostly all you need is light outer wear. Less active people will seek out a climate controlled environment and spend the majority of time inside. It's a lifestyle choice. Don't blame it on the weather.
I said Portland. Southern Oregon is far less socked in with constant rain and gloomy wet and grey than we got in Portland. I spent 37 winters in the Willamette Valley, I know what I'm talking about. It has nothing to do with my work schedule, I have gone months without seeing the sun in Portland. I'm aware that some people find wet 40 to 50 degree rain pleasant for outdoor activity. I am not one of them and being native Oregonian gets you used to it but it does not make it enjoyable.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:24 AM

113 posts, read 103,921 times
The rain isn't depressing, it makes everything green because without it like others have said it creates a drought which is what California is known for then they have to ask other states for water. Because there is too many people in California, that what little water they have won't last very long.

Everyone has there own opinion of what they like, I love the cold weather and I miss it terribly! I miss the trees, and them changing color in the fall, and I miss the snow too. Because without those things fall doesn't feel like fall to me, because of growing up in cold states. I was born in Oregon but raised in Colorado, then moved back to Oregon to take care of my grandmother for 8 years! Then we got sick of the rain (so we thought) and moved to Arizona and now we miss it and those big tall trees, the nice people who you could talk too standing in line at the grocery store, and so much more! One day soon, we are either moving back to Colorado or the Pacific Northwest.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:23 PM

121 posts, read 162,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
How? Easily. I enjoy every thing about Portland. The rain, the snow (not the ice so much), the trees, nature, parks, the intermittent sun, the clouds, everything. I've never seen falling snow before I moved here, it's so magical. I love the peacefulness it brings with it. I don't miss my allergies one bit either.

And while you can't stand Porltand, after 40 years of SoCal sun, I was done. I got tired of the heat; 77 is nice now, but when it hits the 80's in winter and the lovely October 100+ degrees with Santa Ana winds is horrid. Or the 90+ humid filled summers. Yuck. It's only getting hotter and hotter there with all the concrete. I got tired of brown. I got tired of dirt. Tired of built up shopping centers (everywhere), only seeing plants/trees that were planted purposefully for decoration.

I will never move back unless I have to (family obligations). I can't ever imagine living anywhere I can't see beautiful green trees while driving around or on the freeway. I love seeing nature everywhere. Surprisingly, well, not really, the only things I miss about SoCal is the ocean, ocean air, golfing 9 months out of the year, my tan (I'm so pale, haha), and of course my friends and family. But as much as I miss those few things, I am sooo much happier here.

I'm glad you found your happiness though. There are many people here who need to move to sunnier locales (too much gray here makes them grouchy, haha). I'm glad SoCal is perfect for you. I'm one of the few that moved for the rain, cloudy skies, intermittent sunshine, and all the beautiful green forests and parks that are here (and not being watered with stinky reclaimed wastewater). You can enjoy my spot, I won't be needing it.
I could not have said it better myself! This same is true for Nor Cal. Too much brown, dryness and heat!

Old 10-31-2017, 09:06 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
Oregon has a clean look because of the rain. In southern Calif. by the end of summer everything is all dried out, brown and dusty and looks like it needs rain to clean everything up.

Old 12-25-2017, 07:48 PM

5 posts, read 4,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
I found it ironic that people move to Oregon for the "outdoor" lifestyle. I guess some people are just naturally hot all the time? Its cold 8 months a year here outside. And usually wet during those months. Who's biking to work here since Halloween? Almost nobody
A little secret for you... biking to work in the winter with the proper waterproof gear (from the shoes up to the hood covering my helmet) is fun as hell. It almost feels like cheating nature when you can bike and stay dry.

And actually a ton of people bike to work in the winter. My route to work is lined with cyclists, especially as you get near the waterfront where we all converge. There's a reason why Portland has the nation's highest bike commute rate. Many don't bike in the winter, but a considerable amount of us are all-year cyclists. You just don't take the routes that would expose you to all the cyclists getting to work on a bike. I ride the waterfront trail and look up at the traffic and feel blessed all the time. Never going back to driving if I don't have to. Traffic is just awful now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland