Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2017, 01:54 AM
FSF

261 posts, read 312,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Yet they are.

Listen, I've lived in the Pearl before it was even called the Pearl and we all got to shop at the old lunatic Safeway on Jefferson. If I had a dollar every time someone popped off about how nobody would live here, I'd probably own a chunk of the Pearl myself because now I've got nothing but buildings springing up outside my window.

The international crowd are very much part of the mix. I was chatting with a guy who moved in the new Cosmopolitan Tower and he was quite happy telling me that it's something of a United Nations building as far as the resident makeup. No requirement to be Tier 1 to attract an international buyer.

"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

- Lawrence Peter "Yogi" Berra

Not only is all of that very anecdotal "evidence", it sounds all too much like the myopic perspective that many Portlanders (especially the long timers) seem to have. If these Comopolitan Tower residents are actually living in the building, it's not very likely an "international buyer" but rather just a minority resident, which I realize is somewhat of an exotic creature in these parts. Which is all the more reason why I struggle to fathom why folks think the Chinese (which have an economy largely built on smoke an mirrors) will be all that attracted to coming to a place like Portland (which has a substantially low level of cultural immersion and probably one of the lowest of any metros) to hang out in a "Chinatown" that has 100 drug addicts for every actual Chinese person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 11:50 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,451,609 times
"Chinatown" moved to 82nd AVE years ago, if you didn't already know that.

I think the people moved out of there because of the rampant downtown crime around west Burnside, and the fact that the CoP was contemplating renaming the main street of Chinatown "Caesar Chavez Ave".

That's why it's called "Old Chinatown" now.

Plus unlike you, Take57 seems to actually live in the Pearl, and anecdotal or not, I believe what he says.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:45 PM
FSF

261 posts, read 312,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
"Chinatown" moved to 82nd AVE years ago, if you didn't already know that.

I think the people moved out of there because of the rampant downtown crime around west Burnside, and the fact that the CoP was contemplating renaming the main street of Chinatown "Caesar Chavez Ave".

That's why it's called "Old Chinatown" now.

Plus unlike you, Take57 seems to actually live in the Pearl, and anecdotal or not, I believe what he says.

That's my point. You think Chinese buyers are going to fly 12+ hours to come to Portland and spend time on 82nd Ave? Or for that matter, in much of Portland? You're certainly free to believe whatever you want. And I never stated I lived in the Pearl as I don't. And if your suggestion is that I don't live in Portland, feel free to think that as it means nothing to me and I find it all too amusing how people throw that around these boards like it's some sort of compelling statement or trying to play some silly "gotcha" game in their minds. What you "believe" aren't facts. Heck, you're "believing" someone who heard from one person about their viewpoint when they didn't even state that the residents were international buyers. More likely, they are a bunch of minority tech immigrants from California. That's a LOT more likely, no?

I can tell you this much, my experiences in Portland are much different than many folks here. For one, these days, I don't spend but 25% or so of my time there, though it had been close 80-90% for many years. And while I'm in Portland, throughout my tenure here, I don't work in any one place. I've had dozens of clients all over the metro. The point being that my life isn't the same routine where I only really know a certain commute where I go to work and come back to the same neighborhood. This affords me the opportunity to see the hustle and bustle all over from one end of the metro to the other. That gives me a certain perspective that many don't have. Conversely, I'm sure there are nuances I may not pick up on about any given thing or situation because my routine is so varied.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:31 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcity View Post
But what I did see of downtown Portland left me with not a very good impression of the city. Many areas I saw seemed run down and/or deserted. Not to mention plenty of homeless people, one of whom was shouting obscenities and seemed on the verge of violence near a playground where kids were playing.
If you thought Portland was bad, wait until you see the rest of the country. Portland is one of the least like that types of cities in the United States.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:56 PM

393 posts, read 359,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
I did one time walk right past two people shooting up right in front of a door to an empty building. Never saw the others, though.
I live in a party city and walked into my apartment's trash room one morning (Tuesday around 6:30) and found a woman b*ing a guy. But he was very polite and tried to take my trash bag from me to put down the chute.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:39 PM

47 posts, read 83,597 times
You saw the BEST of Portland!! Plus it's a "Sanctuary city"..... Welcome to america...Just like all sanctuary cities. Cess pools loaded with drugs, violence, pedophiles from south of the border and are welcomed.... Just like California. The "Sanctuary State"!!

Old 08-28-2017, 09:19 PM

60 posts, read 62,205 times
Liberal Cess-Pool!

Old 08-28-2017, 09:36 PM

1,517 posts, read 989,641 times
Nope just a cesspool period. The rain doesn't care what a city's political view is when it floods the local sewage facility over into the river.

Quote:
Plus we practically have a front row seat to Mt. Saint Helens. It's only 50 miles NE of Portland.

No, *I* practically have a front row seat since it's only about 35 miles north of me and I live on a hill with a clear line of sight within walking distance, Portland's the nose bleed section.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:53 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,451,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6G1Z View Post
Liberal Cess-Pool!
Funny talk from a guy from Arizona!
I guess you would know cesspools when you see 'em!?

Old 08-31-2017, 10:56 AM

60 posts, read 62,205 times
Some people actually have more than one residence.

In the process of divesting all holdings in Oregon. I will no longer support the un-American Liberal idiocy that has ruined the State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland